Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2021, 08:32 AM   #1
Closed Account

k-70 grip

I've had the k-70 for a week, and I still can't get use to it's grip. My previous camera was the k-r, and it felt right in my hand.
The k-70 however, just feels big and beefy. I'm seriously considering sending it back.

But what to replace it with? I don't want to spend even more money to get the kp.
I don't mind going downwards in megapixels, say to 16.

02-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I've had the k-70 for a week, and I still can't get use to it's grip. My previous camera was the k-r, and it felt right in my hand.
The k-70 however, just feels big and beefy. I'm seriously considering sending it back.

But what to replace it with? I don't want to spend even more money to get the kp.
I don't mind going downwards in megapixels, say to 16.
Well, that is a tough one. The K-70's grip is similar to that on the K-50 and K-2S, which were less beefy than than on the K-30, K-5, and K-3. The KP might with medium or large grip might be close to your k-r, but hard to say.

Steve
02-25-2021, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-70 has also a very short left side with sharp edges on the bottom plate, which makes it awkward to use with manual focus lenses (K, M, A). So now I have it permanently incorporated in a home made DSLR scanner for which it is actually excellent due to the pixel-shift feature.
Currently I use the K5-II (16 Mp) for my daily photography, which I can recommend wholeheartedly, and pre-ordered the K3-III as an upgrade.
02-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
The K-70 has also a very short left side with sharp edges on the bottom plate, which makes it awkward to use with manual focus lenses (K, M, A). So now I have it permanently incorporated in a home made DSLR scanner for which it is actually excellent due to the pixel-shift feature.
Currently I use the K5-II (16 Mp) for my daily photography, which I can recommend wholeheartedly, and pre-ordered the K3-III as an upgrade.
You are suggesting a K-5 variant as helpful for someone for whom the K-70 feels "big and beefy"?

02-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
You are suggesting a K-5 variant as helpful for someone for whom the K-70 feels "big and beefy"?
I have never tried the K-r, but what @stevebrot suggests, I guess it will be difficult to get the feeling of the K-r grip. What I say is that I experienced the K-70 as a disappointment in the ergonomics department and what I have read I'm not the only one.
02-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The K-r had a great grip. It felt so right in my hands. My wife loved that camera as well. That and the K20D had the best grips of any camera I've had. The K200D is pretty close.

The K-3 has a good grip as well, I think you would like that and the build quality so I might look for a K-3 or K-3II if I were you - though the increased weight that comes with better build quality could be an issue.

I've never handled a KP but I don't think it would be an improvement over the K-70.

Personally, I would just adapt to the K-70's grip, it's not bad (I've had a K-S2 here with me and that grip is similar if not slightly worse than the K-70, and I'd be able to work with it). I've adapted to the K-S1 which has what might be the worst grip of any Pentax DSLR, because I liked the size and the convenience of a great sensor in a small package. Once you're used to it you don't think about it and just shoot.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 02-25-2021 at 10:08 AM.
02-25-2021, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
and what I have read I'm not the only one.
Your comment and that of the OP are the first I have read, but I am not particularly well-read on that sort of thing outside PF.

Steve

(...has huge hands and even with the deep grip on the K-3, the pinky curls under...)

02-25-2021, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too found the K70 grip a bit different when I first got it. But, after using it extensively for 2-3 weeks I developed the muscle memory to a point where now it seems normal and I don't even think about it. I would suggest giving it more time. For me personally I would not give up the features and technology packed into the K70 just to try to find a grip that closely matches a 10 year old camera.
02-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The K-70 is well worth "learning". I too struggled with the grip initially, not because it was "big and beefy" but because I was having problems pressing the various controls accidently … there's a setting for that in the menus!
As mentioned, once the "muscle-memory" has learnt a new set of tricks (not so quick with an old dog) it all becomes second nature
02-25-2021, 10:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tricky one. Regarding replacing the K70 with the K5, Kobayashi was saying the k70 grip was uncomfortable. I have never heard anyone struggle either but I guess some people will. Regarding the KP, you have a choice of three grips, all of which I have learned to like but they took some getting use to, probably a couple of weeks each. It is exceptional though, as is the K70 by all accounts. I would imagine the more you use the K70, the more you will get use to it. Does the rest of the K70 appeal or are there other issues with the ergonomics? The k5/k3 is quite a standard design so is really easy to love but you would lose the articulated screen and a small amount of IQ whilst gaining battery life, build quality, battery grips and other stuff. I have the K3 and KP and flip between the two. If I were to choose, the KP is epic but quirky in design. If you could get a good K3ii that would give you a very rugged pro level camera, the IQ is excellent, battery life is good, the grip is excellent, you can get third party and Pentax battery grips..... Despite having the KP, my K3 still gets plenty of use, its that good but don't trade if you are unsure.
02-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Odd. I tried to replace my K-70 with a KP. Couldn’t stand the “poor” ergonomics of the KP grip. Goes to show you. It’s a matter of opinion.
02-25-2021, 11:32 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiddo70 Quote
Odd. I tried to replace my K-70 with a KP. Couldn’t stand the “poor” ergonomics of the KP grip. Goes to show you. It’s a matter of opinion.
Same here. The K70 was so similar to the KS2, and pretty close ergonomically to the K50, that I found the KP too "different" for me to adapt to (the odd AE/L button placement didn't help) so I sold it. I loved the camera otherwise. I've not ever held a K-S so no idea if the KP grip would be better.

Sidenote: As others have said this is the first instance I can remember seeing someone say the K70 grip is a problem, or even the ergonomics being wrong. Good thing there's at least two current choices of Pentax APS-C cameras, soon to be three. Everyone has their own preferences.
02-25-2021, 12:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I too found the K70 grip a bit different when I first got it. But, after using it extensively for 2-3 weeks I developed the muscle memory to a point where now it seems normal and I don't even think about it. I would suggest giving it more time. For me personally I would not give up the features and technology packed into the K70 just to try to find a grip that closely matches a 10 year old camera.
+1...I got used to it after some weeks, now it's like an extension of my arm. Well, I too have big palms and short , chunky fingers, but the camera sits absolutely perfectly in them. The deep grip offers me the chance to shoot one-handed in many situations.
02-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The K70 is generally bigger and heavier. I'd say push through, you will get used to it, and there are so many other benefits to the newer body: Dual controls, WR, a real pentaprism, flippy screen.
02-25-2021, 03:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Generally the ergonomics of a camera improves when a battery grip is added, but the K-70 has no provision for that. A solution could be to add an L-bracket modified with a smooth finished wooden part screwed to it on the bottom side (or 3D printed). When the camera is mainly used with manual focus lenses you can also extend or only smooth out the left side of the L-bracket, that will give you better support in the palm of your left hand which is now absent.