Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2021, 08:20 PM   #16

One or more users on PF have reported some sort of dark frame problems with the K-x. Since there were no follow ups it is unknown if the is the aperture control block failure.

A couple of posters on the German Pentaxian forums have reported finding the green solenoid in place on the aperture control mechanism.

I would think that finding a K-x with a green solenoid installed from the factory is very, very unlikely. However a used camera may have had the white solenoid replaced with a green one in order to repair a K-30/50/70 or KS-1/2. Again, unlikely but still a remote possibility.

02-26-2021, 08:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Regarding the K-5 (or earlier body) posts: although I bought a backup K-5 myself recently, and I think a lightly-used copy is a decent value in the mid-$100US range, you have to go into it understanding the severe impact of no KAF4 support.
02-26-2021, 08:46 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K200D with 4 AA batteries isn't much lighter than the K10D.
Speaking of which... usedphotopro.com has a few in stock... I almost pulled a trigger on one but I'm still getting use out of mine despite some electronic issues.
02-26-2021, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K-x and K-r came with the white solenoid in the aperture block, so should be good to go.

The K-x was my first Pentax DSLR and the only Pentax DSLR I have bought new. I do have a soft-spot for it. That said the K-r fixes everything that was wrong with the K-x so I would go with that.

Another option is the K-01, which doesn't use a solenoid.

02-27-2021, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
One or more users on PF have reported some sort of dark frame problems with the K-x. Since there were no follow ups it is unknown if the is the aperture control block failure.
A couple of posters on the German Pentaxian forums have reported finding the green solenoid in place on the aperture control mechanism.
That is a misunderstanding:
Some posters quoted that they found the green solenoid in the pop-up-flash circuit of some Pentax bodies.
I have written about this HERE because I have found in almost every: K100D, K110D, K200D, K-m and K-x sold in Europe that green solenoid built in there.

It never failed there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I would think that finding a K-x with a green solenoid installed from the factory is very, very unlikely. However a used camera may have had the white solenoid replaced with a green one in order to repair a K-30/50/70 or KS-1/2. Again, unlikely but still a remote possibility.
Every K-x and most K-r had the white Japansolenoid for aperture-control.
Almost 99,9% as you say, if one finds a green Chinasolenoid there, then it was replaced for using that white solenoid for repair.

@seventysixersfan

I would not buy a K-x, to me the limitations are too limiting.

You are spoiled with your KP and the 16MP sensor in the K-01 (I don't like the K-01 that much, the screen is terrible in sunlight, reflections are too bad, I dislike having to guess what might be captured and "down under" this might be even more a problem

The K-S1 is far superior but does suffer occacionally from ABF.
Easy to repair, if one dares

Same for the K-S2, but its the K-S1 which is really compact, with the DA40XS the smallest DSLR Pentax possible.

Otherwise, very small and very reliable the old *istD or DS.
No antishake though.
You get that with the K100D or Km (K-Mama).
Latter limitation in AF, just 5 points.
02-27-2021, 03:37 AM   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
The K-S1 is far superior but does suffer occacionally from ABF.Easy to repair, if one daresSame for the K-S2,
I understood you to say elsewhere that there are far fewer solenoid problems with cameras made after December 2015. Is that correct? I think production of the K-S2 went on into 2016. (I bought mine in late 2016 in a runout sale, although it turns out that mine had been manufactured in March 2015.)
02-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I understood you to say elsewhere that there are far fewer solenoid problems with cameras made after December 2015. Is that correct? I think production of the K-S2 went on into 2016. (I bought mine in late 2016 in a runout sale, although it turns out that mine had been manufactured in March 2015.)
It doesn't count when you purchased your Pentax but when it was manufactured which you can easely check HERE

02-27-2021, 01:25 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your comments. I'll have to think this over and figure out what I want to do for a backup DSLR to my KP. My K-01 does fill a nice role in that it is a K-mount, but the lack of OVF and poor ergonomics (no grip) definitely limit its uses.
02-27-2021, 01:40 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don’t forget that the older bodies won’t work with some of the newer lenses. While I don’t mind my K10 not working with them, I wouldn’t buy another body that doesn’t support them.

I was fiddling with my old photos from my K10, and some of them were great. I need to set up a color profile on the KP that looks like the K10...

-Eric
02-27-2021, 02:04 PM   #25
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
It doesn't count when you purchased your Pentax but when it was manufactured which you can easely check HERE
I know that (see post #10). My question was whether it is correct that a K-S2 manufactured after December 2015 is much less likely to have a solenoid failure.
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I'll have to think this over and figure out what I want to do for a backup DSLR to my KP.
It just comes down to how much you want to spend and what degree of risk of solenoid failure is acceptable to you. Good luck with it, whatever you decide.
02-27-2021, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I know that (see post #10). My question was whether it is correct that a K-S2 manufactured after December 2015 is much less likely to have a solenoid failure.
Yes, all Pentax bodies manufactured after Dec. 2015 are much less prone for ABF.
02-27-2021, 09:46 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about a K-50 that had the solenoid replaced already? There's one for sale in the forums Marketplace.
I like the K-50, it's a small body with a great sensor, a proper viewfinder and dual wheels. The last two, you would not get with the K-x/K-r....
02-27-2021, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got my K-S2 as a closeout sale from B&H, so it had to be among the last production batches. It does bring some useful features to the table, and has advancements like its high-class glass pentaprism FV with excellent magnification and 100% coverage, which my K-r did not have, as well as superior controls. Pretty good for such a compact and inexpensive body.
02-28-2021, 01:28 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I got my K-S2 as a closeout sale from B&H, so it had to be among the last production batches. It does bring some useful features to the table, and has advancements like its high-class glass pentaprism FV with excellent magnification and 100% coverage, which my K-r did not have, as well as superior controls. Pretty good for such a compact and inexpensive body.
You just upload a jpeg here:
Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
and you know exact date of manufacturing.
Can you let us know?
02-28-2021, 08:00 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
How about a K-50 that had the solenoid replaced already?
I had a K-50 previously, and had the solenoid replaced by Precision under warranty. I then sold the K-50 in order to buy a KP. I liked the camera but I don't think I need to get it again. I'm looking to spend less than $100 on this, so I'm targeting an older model like K-x, K-r, maybe K-200d if I can find it.