Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Thinking of reacquiring a K-x...

Now that my LBA has died down a bit having gotten the FA 31mm and DA* 55 (though I WANT the new 16-50mm...), I am starting to get some CBA. I love my KP, and recently got a battery grip for it. I also have my trusty K-01 bumblebee though I don't use it much because I enjoy shooting with an OVF more.

I sold off my K-x years ago (my first DSLR) and there are days that I miss that compact body. I can buy either a K-x or K-r fairly cheaply on the used market, but I am a little worried about the aperture block problem -- does that issue only affect the K-30/50/500/70 series and K-S1 and K-S2 cameras, or can it also happen to a K-x or K-r? My old K-50 (since sold) developed this problem but I was luckily able to get it fixed for free under warranty. Would rather not have to deal with that issue again. Are there other concerns I should have about getting a used K-x or K-r? Thought it would be a nice match with my DA limited primes, and I would devote my KP + battery grip combination for my heavy zoom lenses, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 and 50-150mm f/2.8. (I know it's a big step down in technology coming from a KP, but I look back at pictures I took with my K-x and sometimes find them to be more appealing in color than even my KP! Plus my K-x was really compact and the grip felt better than my KP's...)

Thanks for any advice!

02-26-2021, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't recall the aperture solenoid ever being an issue with the K-x or K-r.
02-26-2021, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Could you find a K-S1 or K-S2 within budget? Similarly compact form factor (almost the same size as the K-x) and less of a come-down from the KP. Compared to the K-x, Pentaprism viewfinder (with AF points displayed), two control wheels (K-S2), better metering, better AF, no AA filter, better high-ISO, better SR, WR (K-S2 not K-S1), lens AF correction, bigger screen, flippy screen (K-S2), focus peaking, aperture control with PLM lenses, wi-fi (if you like that kind of thing!) .... all for quite a modest price premium over the K-x.
02-26-2021, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Could you find a K-S1 or K-S2 within budget?
So I was actually tempted to get a K-S1 or K-S2 because of all the features you mentioned - plus I would love to get the flip-out LCD screen of the K-S2. But I read that these models have at least *some* chance of aperture block failure. I know it's a small chance but after it happened to my K-50, I don't want to have to bother with the problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I don't recall the aperture solenoid ever being an issue with the K-x or K-r.
That's helpful, thank you!

02-26-2021, 02:51 PM   #5
Forum Member

Forget about KX. Viewfinder is too small. My suggestion is a used K5.... KS1, KS2 and K70 among others suffer from aperture block failure.
02-26-2021, 02:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ShawnH Quote
My suggestion is a used K5....
Thanks. K5 does look appealing though not as compact as the K-x. This is not intended to be my primary camera (my KP is awesome!), but more of a backup, or maybe a camera I don't mind handing over to my 10 year old to shoot with on occasion. Of course, I would NOT have my precious FA 31mm attached to it in that scenario....
02-26-2021, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am also a delighted KP owner. A couple of years before the KP, I gave away my lightweight secondary body to my primary K-5 IIs which was my K-r of numerous years. It was low-use and in perfect condition, but I wanted to take a closeout deal on the K-S2 after the arrival of the K-70, as its replacement. Reason, the K-S2 is just as lightweight and compact, but is a much more advanced camera. Even better for low light use, WR construction, thumb and finger dials, articulating screen, 20mp, and more. And the deal included the amazingly compact DA-L 18-50mm lens. I am very happy to still have it for my uses upon casual social gatherings, can even shove it into a large jacket pocket with its zoom lens (!) and it has its special setup for doing selfies with a friend! Yet, with its very advanced capabilities and IQ, it can deliver very fine results if a special opportunity should arise. I can also pocket a Limited prime, for instance. It remains a very versatile, great little camera.

Trouble is, unlike my previous K-r, it is susceptible to the aperture block problem, which is unfortunate. Between the K-x and K-r, I would go for the K-r.

02-26-2021, 03:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
the K-S2 is just as lightweight and compact, but is a much more advanced camera. Even better for low light use, WR construction, thumb and finger dials, articulating screen, 20mp, and more. And the deal included the amazingly compact DA-L 18-50mm lens. I am very happy to still have it for my uses upon casual social gatherings, can even shove it into a large jacket pocket with its zoom lens (!) and it has its special setup for doing selfies with a friend! Yet, with its very advanced capabilities and IQ, it can deliver very fine results if a special opportunity should arise. I can also pocket a Limited prime, for instance. It remains a very versatile, great little camera.
Thanks for these observations/opinions. I have been intrigued with the K-S2 for years and maybe if I can find a good price on one used, I will go for it (and just cross my fingers about the aperture block problem. Hey, maybe I'll get lucky -- I know there are many users who have K-S2, K-30/50/70, etc., and never experienced a failure of this kind).
02-26-2021, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Going to say a recommendation for the KS-1, I've had mine for a little under 8 months, used daily and currently around several thousand shots (6850), no issues. This was a new old stock strawberry cheesecake one, and I'd seen about the potential failure. It's a champ and I love the small body for a DSLR, works awesome with primes and doesn't attract much attention (surprisingly! there is something to people being less intimidated with a non-black DSLR...). Compact form, nice rendering from the sensor, brings a smile to my face every time I head out.

If it does fail, I'll see about home repair or use it as an excuse to upgrade (I've a thing for Foveon sensors, so wouldn't mind an SD or newer DP).

Last edited by CedrusMacro; 02-26-2021 at 04:27 PM.
02-26-2021, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
So I was actually tempted to get a K-S1 or K-S2 because of all the features you mentioned - plus I would love to get the flip-out LCD screen of the K-S2. But I read that these models have at least *some* chance of aperture block failure. I know it's a small chance but after it happened to my K-50, I don't want to have to bother with the problem.
That's perfectly understandable. The answer might be to get a K-S2 made after December 2015, because (according to @Photogem who knows more about this than anyone else) the solenoid was modified then and the failure rate with the modified solenoid is very low: K70 aperture block? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com The manufacture date of the camera is in the MakerNotes for an image (either RAW or OOC jpg), which can be read with ExifTool Gui or using this online tool: Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

Last edited by Des; 02-26-2021 at 04:30 PM.
02-26-2021, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #11
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't believe the k-x/k-r has the bad solenoid. The k-x with litium batteries lasts forever, and is quite light. I also think the images are good and 10 mp is usually plenty.
I used two k-x and two K-5 for theatre photography (which has been on hold for a year) for close to a decade, and consider them close in IQ. I only recently retired the two K-x's in favor of two D700s.

I also have a KS -2 and I think it and the k-x are comparable. Somehow I don't care for the feel of the KS-2, but the flip out screen is nice, but you are taking a risk ** with it and the solenoid issue. At the price of the K-x/K-r I would think it a good deal. I just started my niece (back onto digital) w/ a red K-x and FA 28-70mm f/4 lens.
_____
** But there is a risk w/ the K-x/K-r that the control dial may start to skip settings as you turn it. Just make sure it is OK when you get it and hope it does not happen later. Camera is still fine, just need to turn dial again to get the aperture or shutter speed you wanted.

Last edited by dms; 02-26-2021 at 04:56 PM.
02-26-2021, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not go all the way back to the one that started the small compact body line, the K-m, and get yourself some CCD goodness? If you shoot RAW you can get some really nice results. Having fast glass helps, so you don't have to raise the ISO so much when light is not ideal.
As far as CMOS compact bodies are concerned, the K-S1 goes great with small lenses. Fantastic sensor, same as the K-S2.
02-26-2021, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #13

I've just sold my k-x which I had from new and bought a used k-5. The k-5 is much better from a usability point of view and bild quality and not that different in the hand in terms of size. K-5 has a much quieter shutter and much better damping. What I really missed on the k-x was that it only had one e-dial so you can only adjust one parameter at a time which is often annoying. AA batteries was also both convenient and annoying in terms of being more annoying to charge and replace but also readily available while out and about.

If you're talking faulty parts to watch for then the e-dial was unreliable for me. I had the whole top plate replaced under warranty early on due to the e-dial and the replacement one had just started to play up too. And once the e-dial goes it's very hard to control anything as that's the main adjustment.

I had a brief flirtation with a k-100d and I think if I got a second body I'd look for a k-10d or something for the different sensor type (lots of people love ccd colours).
02-26-2021, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

I still have the K-x I bought in 2009. While I have newer and ostensibly better cameras, I still like using the K-x due to its small size and light weight (lighter than the K-s1).

The K-m would also be a good choice, as ChristianRock has suggested. That 10MP CCD sensor is great, but then the K200D might be a better option - a little bigger but still uses AAs and gives you weather sealing and focus point indicators.

Really you can't go wrong with any of the suggestions though. If you buy a K-m/x/r it won't cost a great deal and even if it dies, these bodies should have at least one white solenoid which you can then harvest to either recoup some money or keep to fix a future K-s1/2, etc.

As to the e-dials failing, generally they just need cleaning. Photogem has posted a tutorial on how to take the cover off and get to the dials: they just need a little deoxit or similar. If you're not brave enough to disassemble the camera you could also try a drop or two on a needle applicator.
02-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Why not go all the way back to the one that started the small compact body line, the K-m, and get yourself some CCD goodness? If you shoot RAW you can get some really nice results. Having fast glass helps, so you don't have to raise the ISO so much when light is not ideal.
As far as CMOS compact bodies are concerned, the K-S1 goes great with small lenses. Fantastic sensor, same as the K-S2.
I admit that my current CBA traces its roots to a for sale posting last week for a K-200D - I was ready to pull the trigger but then the posting disappeared, presumably someone bought it before I had a chance to jump on it. So I've been spending the past week trying to find something comparable at a decent price...