Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2021, 12:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

?#2 A spare, back-up, second, or even new first camera

a few minutes ago i posted a request for advice on repair service for my K-70. With the pandemic keeping me home I have a month at least to wait for that to be done. Yet it seems that there is a chance we will get back on the road (RV) this summer and I believe in redundancy if replacement can be a problem. A second K70 would be ideal and when there is no problem I really like that camera. BUT, once bitten, twice shy, The KP new or used is the current favorite. The KP uses the same battery as the K 70 so I guess that would be a good enough reason. To get to the question, has anyone used the KP and/or other models, especially the K 70 and is IMAGE QUALITY noticeably better with the KP?

02-27-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if the budget allows it

consider renting and getting actual hands on experience first

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
02-27-2021, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can say that the KP images are better than the K-3 at the edges of the K-3 iso performance. Put another way, the KP does better when the K-3 would falter at higher iso. I have not spent any real effort looking into the low iso performance at the pixel peeping level.

My other higher quality high iso camera is a Sony A7rII and I don’t see a major delta between the KP and the Sony. Obviously at 42mp the Sony does provide deeper details in some circumstances and angles of view differ with the same lens and distance but overall both produce excellent images that are a small bit above the K-3.
02-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If a k-70 truly is ideal then get one manufactered after 2015. The soleinoid in only the early models is the same as the k50. In Dec. 2015 they were changed. I assume there is a target seial number where any higher will be after this time.
As you learn more about the kp you may decide it is more ideal of course.

02-27-2021, 01:40 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree with UV that the KP has significantly better high-ISO performance than the K-3. It is also noticeably better than the K-S2 in this regard. It might be a different story in a comparison with a K-70.

The question is about image quality only. But I don't think there is a bright line distinction between a camera's image quality and its features. If the camera has better SR, better AF, better exposure metering, a quiet shutter and ready access to controls (via the third wheel and customisable buttons), as the KP does, you will get more good pictures than you would with an entry level model. That is certainly my experience.
02-27-2021, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
If a k-70 truly is ideal then get one manufactered after 2015.
Mine was purchased in April 2018 from B&H. I might be wrong in assuming it was manufactured after 2015. Is there a source to check this?
02-27-2021, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

yes
QuoteQuote:
Check Your Camera's Shutter Count & Manufacture Date
Read more at: Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

02-27-2021, 01:59 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Is there a source to check this?
You can use EXIFtool Gui and look in the Maker notes for the manufacture date. Or use this online tool: Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
02-27-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

K-70 was introduced in late 2016, so obviously they all got the improved solenoid.
02-27-2021, 02:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-70 first appeared in 2016. Mid-summer, as I recall. The same vulnerable solenoid is still used as far as I know.

If I were in your shoes, I would get the KP which would be my main camera, with the K-70 as backup. No issue with the solenoid aperture block problem. If you sometimes handle larger, heavier lenses for any lengthy periods, or shoot lengthy events where changing batteries could be an intrusion at a bad time to do so, or if shooting a lot of vertical shots perhaps back and forth to horizontal, get the battery grip too. Handling and battery life will be elevated above other models without a battery grip.

As to IQ, not likely an ongoing noticeable difference- but that would be a good thing since then you'd have two very high-level capable bodies. However, under some circumstances the KP might show its superiority. It has a more advanced metering system, and a more advanced AF system. It also has the more advanced PRIME IV processor, shared with the K-1 II, for excellent results for JPEGs right out of the camera. Its set of controls are way above the ordinary. Its built-in flash can also be used as a trigger for outboard slave flash setups.

If spending money for a second camera, why not carry along some upgrades at the same time? You might even consider choosing the silver alternative so you'll have a different look entirely. Maybe if there's a Limited you've had your eye on, you could get it in silver as well. My two KP bodies are both in silver, very fine-looking and reminiscent of classic 35mm film models. The silver K-70 is of a darker shade and not compatible with the silver lenses, past and present!

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-27-2021 at 02:49 PM.
02-27-2021, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
new first camera
The KP new or used is the current favorite.
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
getting actual hands on experience first
I think its essential to handle a KP and try the 3 changeable grips and the battery grip too.
02-27-2021, 04:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

a few minutes ago i posted a request for advice on repair service for my K-70. With the pandemic keeping me home I have a month at least to wait for that to be done. Yet it seems that there is a chance we will get back on the road (RV) this summer and I believe in redundancy if replacement can be a problem. A second K70 would be ideal and when there is no problem I really like that camera. BUT, once bitten, twice shy, The KP new or used is the current favorite. The KP uses the same battery as the K 70 so I guess that would be a good enough reason. To get to the question, has anyone used the KP and/or other models, especially the K 70 and is IMAGE QUALITY noticeably better with the KP?
I am a proponent of always having two bodies, especially for travel. And especially for Pentax, where you can't just pick up a replacement at the corner store. Depending on circumstances, you might not be able to get a store like B&H to send you a camera wherever you might happen to be.

But what you might select depends on your budget and what lenses you have. I recently bought another K-5 for a spare - mid $100US range in excellent condition, with a low shutter count. But I don't have any KAF4 lenses. Not as good image quality vs. newer bodies in terms of high-iso or resolution, but still very good by my standards, and at least as good (probably better) dynamic range. The K-70 seemed like a deal at $350US new (even with some bonuses), despite the aperture block issue (you get at least two years out of it with the Pentax warranty plus your credit card warranty.) But at current prices the KP might be a better value than the K-70.
02-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The KP uses the same battery as the K 70 so I guess that would be a good enough reason. To get to the question, has anyone used the KP and/or other models, especially the K 70 and is IMAGE QUALITY noticeably better with the KP?
I own and use both cameras. Within the ranges of similarity, ie., where the K-70 can do what the KP does, there's no discernible difference in image quality (to my eyes).
However, the KP has an extra three? stops of low-light sensitivity and a 1/24000sec top shutter speed (electronic shutter only, ie. only with LiveView), so in those respects the KP can potentially produce images that the K-70 can't.
I do find the fully-articulated screen on the K-70 quite useful, on occasion, so from that perspective, the K-70 does have that advantage, but the KP has the extra a/f points and a seemingly better a/f "engine", so acquisition and tracking of a moving subject is easier with the KP … I'm talking optical viewfinder here, not LiveView.
The K-70 does have a noticeably longer battery life than the KP, also the K-70 "wakes up" from stand-by (auto power down) more promptly, the KP can need a second press on the shutter button to get the a/f system to "come alive", the K-70 seems to be immediately ready.
Just my experiences that immediately spring to mind from 24k exposures with the K-70 and 12k exposures with the KP. I'm sure there are other points of note.
02-28-2021, 01:18 AM   #14
Forum Member

I use both the KP and K70 and regularly rotate between the two. I do a lot of handheld night photography in the city and the better image stabilisation of the KP is the only difference between the two that would affect image quality. Not that the K70 is poor in this regard, just that the KP is incredible! In normal situations there is no difference in image quality.
02-28-2021, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same for me, I do a lot of handheld low-light photography.
Also the KP has the better AF (similar to the K3).

I sold my K-70 after it developed ABF to a friend who was very happy to have a K70 with the Japan-solenoid.
Since then it was heavy in use and never failed again (which I knew it won't).

Batteryconsumption of the K70 is less, but I always have 2 or 3 spare batteries with me.

I am fine with the Display of the KP, but I'd rather have the 3.2" of the K3.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
K-70 was introduced in late 2016, so obviously they all got the improved solenoid.
The K-70 first appeared in 2016. Mid-summer, as I recall.

The same vulnerable solenoid is still used as far as I know.
No it wasn't, read here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/389194-li...x-cameras.html
Same PET body yes, same windings yes, same impedance yes....

...... but different alloy, sligthly different holding force (but not yet same strength as the Japan-made solenoid with is still superior, also due to the fact of PTFE instead of PET body.

Last edited by photogem; 03-08-2021 at 11:10 PM.