03-05-2021, 12:54 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You wish!

03-05-2021, 01:07 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am really happy to hear that my KP is deemed to be enough of a challenge to the K3iii that they kill it off. It is a shame but a 4 year run is decent. I have seen some good deals like an 8 actuation KP for <£500. So long as mine is OK I won't be getting another as my K3 seems to have upped its game since the KP arrived, ..... Although I could be tempted by a red KP-J

What I am hoping for is a firmware update or two, bringing features from the K3iii Fuji did it big style with the X-T3 fingers crossed.

Did someone mention flippy screens again? .....You may have reawoken the kraken
03-05-2021, 02:03 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Perhaps to avoid the KP taking away too many sales from the K3-III. Maybe they'll produce something similar or something between the KP and K-70, to replace both of those lines.
Exactly my thoughts
K70 needs to be refreshed too so it is a kill two birds with one stone
03-05-2021, 07:44 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
* I am reminded of a close relative who stated that their nicely fleshed out D810 kit was too"portrait oriented", resulting in mediocre landscape photos. I would (metaphorically) kill to have that kit for landscape work!
I trust you told him that a craftsman doesn't blame his tools?

---------- Post added Mar 5th, 2021 at 08:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
This is a real downer for landscape and macro use (now that tilt or flip screens have become a norm). For those of us who are nature photographers, that's part of the package. Which makes the K-3iii far from a replacement for the KP.

In theory, I suppose you could use wifi and your smartphone as a tilt screen, but I've tried that with the KP and K-S2 and wouldn't consider it a viable alternative.
The nature photography market is nicely served by the K1.

03-05-2021, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

Is it just me? I would have thought that the discontinuance of the KP was a big story, and deserved a statement from Ricoh and not just a quiet shift to the "Discontinued" bin on their web site. Even Pentax Forums has not said anything editorially.
03-05-2021, 03:51 PM   #96
dbs
Pentaxian

That quiet shift happens when you are only 3% of market share
03-05-2021, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A four-year-old camera model, even if still capable, can be pulled from production without it being a big story…he said on page seven of a thread.

Seriously, though, most companies put a lot more marketing oomph into announcing new models than they put into retiring old models. Ricoh isn't 100% vertically integrated. So they buy switches, sensors, batteries, and solenoids from a variety of suppliers before assembling the KP. My guess is that enough of those parts have become hard-to-find that Ricoh decided to stop making more KPs.

It's absolutely a big story if, six months from now, Pentax cameras are just 645z, K-1 mkii, K-3 mkiii, and K-70. Pentax needs a mid-range/ experimental model in the APS-C space. But if they have a K-S3 or a KP mkii in the works, this temporary gap doesn't strike me as particularly worrisome.

03-05-2021, 04:24 PM   #98
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Is it just me? I would have thought that the discontinuance of the KP was a big story, and deserved a statement from Ricoh and not just a quiet shift to the "Discontinued" bin on their web site. Even Pentax Forums has not said anything editorially.
I was thinking along the same lines. Not that I would expect Ricoh to be singing it from the rooftops, but it would be helpful if they shared with us their overall strategy.

Curious that the only really frank information was the unvarnished response that you got from CRK:
The upcoming Pentax K-3 Mk III is the successor to the KP. ...It caught us by surprise as well. We would have rather seen the K-70 go, but Ricoh Japan thought that having the KP & K-3 Mk III competing would confuse the market, while the K-70 has a bigger feature gap that makes the upgrade more relevant.They are very wary of not falling into the Canon trap, where cameras are so closely positioned to each other that it confuses the market.

It is perfectly understandable that - like most camera companies - they want to rationalise the model range. And sales must be way down with the pandemic. But the KP and K-3iii are so different - and at least $US1000 apart - that the view that the latter is the successor to the former needs some explanation. It seems a long way from "the Canon trap". (If anything the positioning of the K-3iii at the "high end of the two hundred thousand [yen] range" - that is, close to the K-1ii - seems more confusing. But I guess that topic has been done to death in another thread.)

Won't the hole left by the demise of the KP make the DA*11-18 f2.8 and the forthcoming revised DA*16-50 f2.8 less attractive? Or are we all going to be contorting our ageing backs to look through the viewfinder of the tripod-mounted K-3iii or try to see the screen in the light and wondering whether we should have got a Fuji or gone FF instead? (That is, those who haven't got or kept a KP.)

Last edited by Des; 03-05-2021 at 05:18 PM.
03-05-2021, 05:29 PM   #99
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
never thought of the KP as a replacement for the " flag ship " K 3 II myself

that is what the K 3 III is for

but as everyone should know

admittedly, I'm no photography expert, I just post a lot

and I am easily confused
03-05-2021, 05:34 PM - 2 Likes   #100
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Won't the hole left by the demise of the KP make the DA*11-18 f2.8 and the forthcoming revised DA*16-50 f2.8 less attractive?
Personally, I see the f/2.8 "pro" zooms as being event lenses, which will still be very attractive propositions for OVF use on a K-3 Mark III. Sure, they're excellent landscape lenses too.

But the articulated back screens on all the KP's, K-70's and K-S2's in the world won't suddenly stop working now the KP is discontinued. And the K-1 Mark II has crop mode
03-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #101
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
It is quite the insult to current owners.

That said, there is something to be said about not nailing the lid on the coffin while the product is still being promoted and sold. For those who want what the K-3iii and K-70 are not, there are some excellent deals right now in N. America.

Steve
03-05-2021, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #102
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
admittedly, I'm no photography expert, I just post a lot

and I am easily confused
Me too, but I do know how I use my K-3 and still see and read well enough to know that the KP's debt is to the K-1 rather the K-3/K-3II and that features were trimmed to meet what the July 2017 detailed review on this site (LINK) characterized as a "premium upper mid-range model". The market segment was that of the EOS 80D*, though at a bit lower price and with a smaller and more attractive body.

Steve

* Superceded in 2019 by 90D and officially dc'd, but still available at a price point about $200 above the KP here in the U.S.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-05-2021 at 06:44 PM.
03-05-2021, 06:41 PM - 3 Likes   #103

To me, the KP always felt a little undervalued when released, I read a few review outlets that even questioned its existence with the K-70 providing better value and it not being a true K3 successor. I bought one anyway, and have always thought it is a brilliant camera. To this day I would argue that it can render some of the best images from any APS-C sensor, and it's a shame to see it go with so little fanfare. We are going to look back on the KP as one of the "good ones" and hopefully it's design can serve as an important stepping stone to future models.
03-06-2021, 01:59 AM   #104
Pentaxian

Could it be that the KP is the victim of the same supply chain issues that placed the release of the K3 III on hold?
03-06-2021, 03:17 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Whilst it is a shame that the KP is discontinued, I only really care about my KP lasting a good long time before I have to replace it. Unfortunately I don't think we can expect digi slrs to last for decades like the old manual cameras.
I got about 11 years out of my K10d, after which just stopped working. I certainly wouldn't look to upgrade just on the basis of more mega pixies, new modes or even higher ISO. For APSc I think the KP has everything I need for the foreseeable future. Had the K3iii been out last year I would have considered that too but for now, long live the KP.

If I had one wish, I would go for a KP type full frame. I think that would be a market changer a bit like when the OM1 and ME/MX came out.