Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2021, 06:56 AM   #106

Stevejo, agreed. Put a 24-36mp ff sensor in a KP body and price it right and I don't see how that wouldn't be an instant win today.

03-06-2021, 07:25 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And Nikon managed to squeeze a ff sensor in the Df, and size/shape of that seems to be almost the same as the KP.
03-06-2021, 07:29 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
And Nikon managed to squeeze a ff sensor in the Df, and size/shape of that seems to be almost the same as the KP.
The DF is about 9% bigger and 9% heavier than the KP...

Compare camera dimensions side by side
03-06-2021, 07:37 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If they put a k-mount on the Df I'd already own one. I have a hard time believing Pentax couldn't deliver exactly that but with a more modern sensor like the unit that's in the K-1.

Also the Df controls & ergo's seem extremely good. Honestly it's just the mount that has kept me from buying one. This should be the K-2 assuming that camera exists beyond forum speculation.

03-06-2021, 08:48 AM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

When looking at the images the size difference is immediately obvious. But who knew the K70 is even smaller than the KP in both weight and volume? I suspected it was, and doing the comparison at your link verifies it.
03-06-2021, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
But who knew the K70 is even smaller than the KP in both weight and volume?
The KP is 100% prettier, though
03-06-2021, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #112
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
The KP is 100% prettier, though
It is. While small the K70 is very staid, undistinctive by comparison. I've had at least a couple of other photographers at a shoot ask me what mirrorless camera it is.

03-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #113
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote

Yep...the Df is not particularly petite nor light and the KP is not exactly in the same league bulk-wise as an XT-2 either. (Do we dare compare to the K-3 or the K-70?) Each is what it is and has its strengths.

Steve

(...Would love to see something similar to the Df in K-mount, though perhaps with 24Mpx...)
03-06-2021, 03:49 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep...the Df is not particularly petite nor light and the KP is not exactly in the same league bulk-wise as an XT-2 either. (Do we dare compare to the K-3 or the K-70?) Each is what it is and has its strengths.

Steve

(...Would love to see something similar to the Df in K-mount, though perhaps with 24Mpx...)
The X-T20 is smaller and much lighter than the KP, that's why I just bought one for $400...purely for adapting manual focus lenses in a variety of mounts you can't adapt well on a K-mount body.
03-07-2021, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #115
Pentaxian

While I am sad to see the KP go, I guess it was inevitable. I think the KP will go down as a Pentax Classic due to its capabilities and unique aesthetics. I hope Pentax continues to make small, unique cameras and doesn't start making "cookie cutter" cameras like the other guys. The uniqueness is a reason I went with Pentax. I figure if I am carrying a conspicuous camera, I might as well look good doing it! And the KP DOES look good!! The KP will probably be fairly scarce on the used market, but when my KP finally needs replacement, I could see myself going for a used one!! If you are on the fence about getting one, do it now while you can still get a new one. The KP is a great camera and unlike anything else on the market!
03-07-2021, 03:50 PM   #116
Pentaxian

Moved to the discontinued product section of the Ricoh Imaging website, the Japanese site anyway.

Attachment 527029
In Europe the KP is now on offer through the Ricoh webshop. If you buy a KP they throw in the grip, a bag and a memory card for free. And when I received mine I was pleasantly surprised that I got the kit with the three sizes of the changeable grip. I noticed that dealers and the Ricoh webshop are also out of stock with the 645Z which is on offer with a €2000 discount.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 03-17-2021 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Adding a little bit of new information about the KP on offer.
03-07-2021, 11:40 PM - 1 Like   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may be way off in saying this, but it seems to me with the popular body and functionality of the KP it would make sense just to update it as the KP II, a camera many know and love, and it would still be well below price and specs of the flagship. Doesn't Fujifilm do something similar? The KP has a lot going for it.
03-08-2021, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm afraid the price point for a new KP II would have to be significantly above the current KP prices - which are an absolute bargain, considering the build and sensor quality. I'm rather looking forward to another surprising and creative model in not too distant future. Something that challenges the usually perceived design constraints or trade-offs - which is a good tradition at Pentax.
03-08-2021, 01:41 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
I may be way off in saying this, but it seems to me with the popular body and functionality of the KP it would make sense just to update it as the KP II, a camera many know and love, and it would still be well below price and specs of the flagship. Doesn't Fujifilm do something similar? The KP has a lot going for it.
Therein lies the problem I think. The K3iii has to be successful. Even if the KP is a great camera (which it is of course), anyone looking for a new APSc Pentax will have to choose between the K70 and the K3iii. Retaining the KP will necessarily reduce sales of the K3iii so better to kill it off now. Retaining the K70 makes sense as it caters for people who just can't stretch to the K3iii. I am sure that a potential KP replacement may be considered down the line, once the K3iii has had a good run.

I don't think you can fault the sales strategy.
03-08-2021, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Wow! I'm shocked.
As am I, the KP is a very capable camera.

I have no regrets over getting the Silver KP..