Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Well, the K20 does allow you to zoom in on the live view, so MF magnification is a real possibility.
It does, but it seems to just magnify the view on the screen, so it's all blocky and pixellated. Not AT ALL helpful for precise macro focusing, which is the use I had hoped to put it to.

That's really the only significant K20D limitation that continues to irk me. I'd REALLY like to see that addressed in an update.

11-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
The only one that does is the Oly E3.
Honestly, the Panasonic DMC-L10 also has it. More recently, the Panasonic G1 acquired said feature, but that's not really an SLR anymore.
11-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The swivel screen is really neat and useful. I like that you can turn it over to hide the screen.

Oh well, something to look forward to in the future. Imagine a nice and sharp 3.0" swivel screen woohoo.
11-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #19
Site Supporter

If any of the Live View critics want to trade for my K100D....

It is very desirable for astrophotography. When focusing my K110D on my telescope I:

Press shutter
wait for 2 second delay
wait for image to store
press display
rotate dial to zoom in to 8x (my default zoom)
adjust scope focus
repeat 10-15 times

With zoomed Live Focus I would be able to adjust focus continuously until correct.

I hear Live View can be used for objects like Jupiter and the Moon that require 1000s of frames at a rapid rate, something that would eventually wear out a mechanical shutter.

11-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #20
Pentaxian

For me live view is only really worth its weight in gold if it has a swivel/flip lcd like the Oly 5060 had - for low level/overhead and unusual angles - brilliant.

I can't understand why they can't add this ability to the current live view dslr.
It's obviously not a matter of they *can't* do it, just that they haven't bothered yet, because there hasn't been a marketing reason to yet. In a world where most DSLR's *don't* have live view, merely providing it at all is a differentiator, and there is no incentive for manufacturers to go the extra mile (and incur the added cost, thus driving up the price) to make the screen be especially fancy. But when the point comes where lvie view is kind of standard as it is with P&S cameras, then I'm sure some DSLR makers will start trying to differentiate themselves that way.
11-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #21

don't give up on live view -- it has it's uses...

Hi all,

I agree 100% with Leo, in that I find live view incredibly useful for focusing on stars, with all my lenses, from DA to my manual focus TV-76.

Here's an example of why I like live view with my DA*300 pointed at the stars:

K20D, f/4, 2s, ISO3200, DA*300 (click for larger 800x572 version)

When my lens is pointed terrestrially, however, I don't find the K20D's particular implementation of live view useful with my AF (mostly DA) lenses. But I do use it about 50%of the time with my telescope, even when it's not pointed at the sky.

I used to use a Canon A85, and it had an articulated LCD. I loved that camera, mostly because of that feature. I might use the live view, even as-is, on my K20D if it had that flip-out display. But I wouldn't trade my weather-proofing for it, and I'll bet weather-proofing a display like that would be expensive....

I think I need to try the 21fps burst mode on the moon and try stacking...

-Chris

Last edited by hinckc; 11-21-2008 at 07:25 PM.
11-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Never used it, and I'm so unused to it that if I did want to use it I would have to consult the manual on how to.
It is a skill like any other really. I used the rotating LCD on my panasonic fz30 all the time. That was the best way to shoot macros with it. But I have only turned on the live view a couple times briefly to check it out on the k20d. It feels very awkward to me. I'd rather just use the viewfinder.
There definitely are situations that live view is good to have. A rotating LCD would be the best to have. I never thought about the weather proofing problems that would cause though. Would we really have to give up weather proofing to have a rotating LCD?
11-22-2008, 06:04 AM   #23
Inactive Account

The camera I had before the K10 had "live view" and an electronic vf, which was not great, but I found myself using the vf 90% of the time despite it being so ummm awful (that was polite). When I went shopping for a new camera, a really good vf was high on the list, and the k10's clobbered anything remotely near its price. I am planning on finding an angle finder in the future for when I'm using the camera on a tripod for macro work. I can hold the k10 steadier at eyelevel than out at arm's length (or anywhere away from my body) - it's not exactly the lightest machine on the block. If it had lv, I really doubt I'd use it.

11-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Speaking for myself, live view is something I would rarely use on a DSLR or any other camera for that matter. My point and shoot has it and I don't use it. In daylight it is hard to see the LCD, at least for me. Almost all the pocket sized point and shoots out there now are live view only (no viewfinder) and although I would like to replace my old one, i'm not going to. I can see the benefits of live view for certain types of shots but I don't do those. Live view is probably going to be a standard thing on all DSLR's soon as a whole generation of new shooters who have been using live view only cameras move up to better gear. I think holding the camera to my face and using the viewfinder is a better way to take pictures, at least for me. My very first camera as a kid was a twin lens Kodak that you looked down to the viewfinder and I didn't like that either.
11-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Use it when needed. Wish the camera allowed switching easily from live view to optical DOF preview! Hate giving one up for the other. The useless raw button would make a great live view button.

I use LV when using big teles on tripod. It can help focus the big lens. Also works with fisheye. Arms out in front keeps you out of the picture at 180 degree coverage. Have also used it with FE and UNI-LOCK tripod boom out 2-3ft. Without live view you would have to straddle the tripod to use finder.

Also use it for high-low shooting or where you can't get eye to finder (shooting with camera upside down between the tripod legs). Great for ground level macro (with UNI-LOCK tripod).

LV is great for B&W use. Set camera to B&W and see it in B&W on the lcd before shooting. Better than any previsualization filter Zone VI used to sell! Even gives you the different color filter previews. Would not want to be without his feature!

Soon will use it with a small screen to help with camera being on a pole high in the air. Also great with studio stuff. Imagine that under water photographers will love it too.

May only use LV 15-20% of the time but its great when needed.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #12 WINNERS IN P&S forum. Enter #13. Any brand camera. Enter now!
11-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

For me live view is only really worth its weight in gold if it has a swivel/flip lcd like the Oly 5060 had - for low level/overhead and unusual angles - brilliant.

I can't understand why they can't add this ability to the current live view dslr.

The only one that does is the Oly E3.

d
My old Canon G3 does that, and I love it for awkward shots.
11-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I've actually never used it on my K20D. I know it's there, but I just have zero desire to.
11-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I've actually never used it on my K20D. I know it's there, but I just have zero desire to.
My feelings exactly. The last thing I bought my 20 for is Live View. Unless I am shooting at arms length over a mob in a photojournalist fashion, I doubt I will ever use it.