Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2007, 11:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

"based on a very brief look, I'd get the sigma over the tamron, but I'm pretty sure the Pentax lenses will perform significantly better than either of them at most focal length / aperture settings."

####

u might well be wrong and i dont believe your statement has the slightest validy.. its brand loyaty speaking..

so i would say put up or shut up.. if u aint prepared to back up your statements dont make them..

how about a new forum rule.. dont make wild cover all statements without at least some arguement or proof to back them up..

i dont make unsubstantiated statements.. i also dont see why others should be able to purely because of the brand loyalty factor....

i also know this is a brand loyatly forum.. its bound to be.. the consensus opinion will always favour the chosen "brand"..

i try and advise newcomers what lenses to buy to go along with their new pentax dslr to enable them to get good value for money and take good pictures.. ..

i am pretty sure i am wasteing my time thow.. he he

i also know if i push the point too much i will be forced to leave the forum.. not be welcome so to speak..

i might even be thought a troll.. he he

trog

03-13-2007, 11:50 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
.............i also know if i push the point too much i will be forced to leave the forum.. not be welcome so to speak..

trog
Only if all the Billygoats get a bit Gruff.
03-14-2007, 04:12 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by walter Quote
Here's some more info on the Sigma and Tamron
Sigma Lens: Zooms - Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC (Tested)
Tamron Lens: Zooms - Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical IF AF (Tested)

based on a very brief look, I'd get the sigma over the tamron, but I'm pretty sure the Pentax lenses will perform significantly better than either of them at most focal length / aperture settings.
From the flash charts, I can see the Tamron perform much better at wide opened and at image corners, why do you think that the Sigma is better? Typo?

BTW, thx for the links, the test reports are really interesting..
03-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #34
Veteran Member

"i also know if i push the point too much i will be forced to leave the forum.. not be welcome so to speak..

i might even be thought a troll.. he he"

let me rephrase my own statement..

i also know if i argue the point too effectively i will be forced to leave the forum.. not be welcome so to speak..

i will be thought a troll.. he he

i have just been forced to leave a favourite off-road motoring forum i used for just this reason.. believe it or not when they knew they had lost the arguement real physical threats were issued.. give us your "addy" if u dare..

being as the b-ggers live in the same country and drive big 4 x 4 vehicles i had to vacate the premises gracefully so to speak..

be warned RH.. he he he

trog

03-14-2007, 10:27 AM   #35
Veteran Member

i also know if i push the point too much i will be forced to leave the forum..
You will be if you don't start learning to use the "Shift" key!
03-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
You will be if you don't start learning to use the "Shift" key!
Trog, using the shift key? I don't ever recall, so I bet his answer will be never!
03-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #37
Veteran Member

"You will be if you don't start learning to use the "Shift" key!"

too late for me now i recon.. he he..

over the years i have developed my own kinda forum pidgin speak.. it dont include the shift key..

there is clever forum software that auto corrects the likes of me.. it will turn a "cos" into a "because".. a "kinda" into a "kind of".. a "u" into a "you".. it will even turn my lower case "i" into a correct upper case "I"..

why dont i write "proper".. well i come across as an arrogant know it all b-gger as it is..

if i wrote "proper" i would be even more intolerable...

trog
03-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Pig Latin

Trog100-
"over the years i have developed my own kinda forum pidgin speak.. it dont include the shift key.. "

Why don't you try some igpay atinlay for a while purely for your entertainment, not mine? I certainly appreciate forum members who raise my knowledge level about all things camera-wise, if I can understand their prose.

Your little nuggets of wisdom are worth passing over if I have to slow down to make sure I understand your silly little attempt at pidgin forum-speak.

I feel safe in saying this as I live in another country......you just might drop a flaming bag of dog excrement on my front porch if you could, and think of yourself as hilarious .

03-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #39
Forum Member

"You will be if you don't start learning to use the "Shift" key!"

too late for me now i recon.. he he..
QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky Sky Quote
Trog100-
"over the years i have developed my own kinda forum pidgin speak.. it dont include the shift key.. "

Why don't you try some igpay atinlay for a while purely for your entertainment, not mine?
Guys, both of you, how about learning to click on a Quote button when you... uhmmm... quoting somebody?
03-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky Sky Quote
Trog100-

Why don't you try some igpay atinlay for a while purely for your entertainment, not mine? I certainly appreciate forum members who raise my knowledge level about all things camera-wise, if I can understand their prose.

Your little nuggets of wisdom are worth passing over if I have to slow down to make sure I understand your silly little attempt at pidgin forum-speak.

I feel safe in saying this as I live in another country......you just might drop a flaming bag of dog excrement on my front porch if you could, and think of yourself as hilarious .

so i take your post as an intended insult and vote of no confindence.. its quite clear u dont like my style..

the best thing is just to ignore me..

at present we do have to occupy the same forum.. we cant all like each other.. i havnt set out to deliberately provoke u personally .. kindly offer me the same consideration..

thank you..

trog
03-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by klopus Quote
Guys, both of you, how about learning to click on a Quote button when you... uhmmm... quoting somebody?
A much better way than what I've been doing.......will do so in the future.

Thanks.......
03-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #42

"based on a very brief look, I'd get the sigma over the tamron, but I'm pretty sure the Pentax lenses will perform significantly better than either of them at most focal length / aperture settings."

####

u might well be wrong and i dont believe your statement has the slightest validy.. its brand loyaty speaking..

so i would say put up or shut up.. if u aint prepared to back up your statements dont make them..

how about a new forum rule.. dont make wild cover all statements without at least some arguement or proof to back them up..

i dont make unsubstantiated statements.. i also dont see why others should be able to purely because of the brand loyalty factor....

i also know this is a brand loyatly forum.. its bound to be.. the consensus opinion will always favour the chosen "brand"..

i try and advise newcomers what lenses to buy to go along with their new pentax dslr to enable them to get good value for money and take good pictures.. ..

i am pretty sure i am wasteing my time thow.. he he

i also know if i push the point too much i will be forced to leave the forum.. not be welcome so to speak..

trog
Yes I could be wrong. I don't own all the lenses and haven't done any direct comparisons between them. I compared the sigma and tamron charts against the charts for the canon lenses I'm familiar with then compared the canon lenses with the pentax lenses.

It's not brand loyalty that made me make that statement, it's more a bias against superzoom lenses.
03-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
From the flash charts, I can see the Tamron perform much better at wide opened and at image corners, why do you think that the Sigma is better? Typo?

BTW, thx for the links, the test reports are really interesting..
I probably shouldn't have said that. I haven't looked at all the stats in detail. I like how the center remains fairly sharp on the sigma throughout the zoom range, which is good for what I'd probably use it for. Of course, these are tests based on a single or very few lenses, so sample variation can skew the results a lot. I'd also read a bunch of reviews/posts and look for image samples before making a decision.

In the photozone tests, the tamron comes out slightly ahead in center sharpness. Maybe slrgear got a bad tamron sample? They also mention the tarmron focuses more accurately on a Canon.
Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) XR macro - Photozone Test Report / Review
Sigma AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC - Photozone Quick Test Report / Review

But I'm not going to buy either lens so I'll leave it up to the OP to read up on both superzooms if he wants to go that route. I take back what I said about preferring the sigma.
03-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #44

I personally chose the K10D with a Sigma 18-200mm and overall I have not been dissappointed. I had previously used a Canon EOS300D and had several lenses so when I switched to Pentax I had to settle for an 'all-round' lens until I can afford to build up the collection again.

The obvious advantage of the the 18-200 is that a single lens covers a wide range of shooting situations and does not necessitate carrying and changing lenses if you are going 'walkabout'. Obviously a range of good qualty primes will generally give better results and if you have the money and strong shoulders then this is the way to go.

As most respondents have said it also depends very much on what you like to photograph. If you have a passion for a particular subject matter then you should buy the best lens you can afford that suits your particular purpose.

My next lens will almost certainly be a 1:1 Macro.

Getting back to the Sigma 18-200, I have been pleasantly surprised at the general build and picture quality. Yes there is softness at the edges and a degree of purple fringing in some situations but these are not noticeable for normal sized prints. The edge softness is really only evident in shots such as architecture where edges tend to well defined - for general scenes it is hard to see except when blown up to full size.

Whichever of the three choices you make I doubt that you will be dissappointed. Like most of us you will slowly add other lenses to your collection for specific purposes. Any of the three will get you started and allow you to explore getting the best out of the K10D which in my opinion is what will really improve your photos. No matter how good the camera and lens you can still produce lousy shots - I've got plenty to prove that point!

Go ahead - buy and enjoy!!
03-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #45
Veteran Member

:-))))))))) n/t

no text, no text..

"i also know if i push the point too much i will be forced to leave the forum.. not be welcome so to speak..

i might even be thought a troll.. he he"

let me rephrase my own statement..

i also know if i argue the point too effectively i will be forced to leave the forum.. not be welcome so to speak..

i will be thought a troll.. he he

i have just been forced to leave a favourite off-road motoring forum i used for just this reason.. believe it or not when they knew they had lost the arguement real physical threats were issued.. give us your "addy" if u dare..

being as the b-ggers live in the same country and drive big 4 x 4 vehicles i had to vacate the premises gracefully so to speak..

be warned RH.. he he he

trog