Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2021, 12:41 PM - 4 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Literally while I was reading through the responses I had an offer on an Ebay watchlisted K10D w/18-55 lens, two batteries and charger. Seller offered $131 w/free shipping so I just bought it. Oddly my urge to acquire has not been diminished.

03-05-2021, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
Literally while I was reading through the responses I had an offer on an Ebay watchlisted K10D w/18-55 lens, two batteries and charger. Seller offered $131 w/free shipping so I just bought it. Oddly my urge to acquire has not been diminished.
of course it hasn't

now you will be able to check out:

QuoteQuote:
The CCD Sensor Cult. I mean Club...
Not too many people shoot them anymore, as no one's making them at this point... but the CCD sensor cameras have a loyal following (some would say obsession) from its fans (crazy? luddites?). . . .
The CCD Sensor Cult. I mean Club... - Page 36 - PentaxForums.com

and this one as well:

QuoteQuote:
The K10D Club!
Hello All,
This thread is dedicated to a very important part of the Pentax DSLR history; The venerable K10D.
The 'Ten' is significant in many ways; Introduced in late 2006, it featured a CCD sensor of 10.2MP, ISO range of 100-1600 and had AF assist with SDM lenses. It was the first Pentax DSLR with shake reduction, dust removal, had 2 control wheels and used a D-L150 lithium battery rather than 4 x AA's. These were all upgrades from the previous flagship model, the *ist DS2. . . . .
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/242738-k10d-clu...l#post2581283f

and it was a trend setter:

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax K10D was the first DSLR from Pentax to feature a sensor with a resolution higher than 6 megapixels. It also launched a host of new innovative features which would later become standard on all Pentax bodies, such as Shake Reduction and Dust Removal.

It won the Camera Grand Prix Japan "Camera of the Year" award in 2007, and a special brown version with gold lettering was produced to commemorate this.

Camera Manuals:

Operating Manual
Software Manual (Pentax Photo Browser 3, Pentax Photo Laboratory 3)

Read more at: Pentax K10D - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-05-2021 at 02:04 PM.
03-05-2021, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

To get the best that Pentax has to offer, I would just go ahead and get a K-1.

If the budget won't allow or if you'd want to get the best handling APS-C body instead of going full frame, I'd get a K-3II.

For the fun of photography and the best APS-C image quality there's the KP which would I think, in effect replace the K-70. The K-70 is more of an entry level camera and while still a very good camera, won't have a "historical Pentax canera" significance to it.
03-05-2021, 04:05 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Please note OP's request : "I should have mentioned I'm looking at digital only. Have enough film cameras."

Also note it was an edit. Posted after my comment.

03-05-2021, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
So , the list of "the must have" Pentax cameras , all of them I did use , most of them still own and enjoy.
K10D , great CCD sensor
Kx , the first DSLR camera with sensor usable in low light
K-5 II s , the real classic
K-01 , important part of Pentax history
K-s1 , very compact , I love it
K-3II , for now but to be replaced with K-3III
K-1 , the first FF Pentax , the only FF Pentax I am going to keep
KP , very unique , silver with three hand grips and one battery grip
MX-1 , with optional beautifully hand crafted leather case - poor man's Leica
and of course the original Q , the marvel of engineering and plastic Q-s1 with bigger and better sensor
I’d change k-5 iis to k-5 due to the significance of introducing that model line up. And k-3 rather than k-3ii for the same reason. The k-7 might be worth adding as it started the line that the k-5 and k-7 are derived from.
03-05-2021, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K-01. Camera which did not produce offspring. And very first Pentax Q. Camera which started the mount not produced anymore.
Both are not too expensive.
03-05-2021, 08:28 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Pentax K-01. Camera which did not produce offspring. And very first Pentax Q. Camera which started the mount not produced anymore.
Both are not too expensive.
Any idea what a reasonable price is for those two models? KEH has a K-01 now for $184.

03-05-2021, 10:44 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
Any idea what a reasonable price is for those two models? KEH has a K-01 now for $184.
Price looks reasonable for me. But I am in love with my K-01 and cannot judge objectively. And that depends on conditions. Try to monitor e-bay sold auctions prices.
03-05-2021, 11:51 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Ode to Pentax K10D

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
and I am keeping my K10D's firmware on 1.20 so in case of one of my SDM lenses fails to auto focus , I could always use them on my K10D , without any modifications , using backup screw AF.

---------- Post added 03-06-21 at 15:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’d change k-5 iis to k-5 due to the significance of introducing that model line up. And k-3 rather than k-3ii for the same reason. The k-7 might be worth adding as it started the line that the k-5 and k-7 are derived from.
Yes absolutely if i was assembling Pentax history museum but my choice is biased by the practicality.
I want to keep camera bodies which I will use and enjoy into the foreseeable future.
03-06-2021, 07:21 AM   #25

I think a K3 should be a likely choice, I think it's one of their finest DLSR's of all time.
03-07-2021, 10:08 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have or have had the ME Super, SF-1n, PZ-1p, ZX 5n, ZX-L, MZ-S, ist, then as to DSLRs, the *ist-D, K-100D, K-100D Super, K-200D, K-20D, K-r, K-5, K-5IIs, K-S2, and KP.

Of those 35mm film bodies, I see the PZ-1p as most unique in being the forerunner of the modern DSLR design in controls and layout, with an excellent feature set and its built-in dual flash capability with a bounce flash in the hot shoe combined with strait-on built-in flash.

Of the DSLRs, I see the KP as most unique in its design, feature set, and build quality for its size and weight. And since it is being discontinued with a bulkier, heavier, more standard design soon coming, the KP could become a cult classic if there is no KP II.

I'd say, get one while available.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-07-2021 at 11:16 PM.
03-08-2021, 06:44 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I have or have had the ME Super, SF-1n, PZ-1p, ZX 5n, ZX-L, MZ-S, ist, then as to DSLRs, the *ist-D, K-100D, K-100D Super, K-200D, K-20D, K-r, K-5, K-5IIs, K-S2, and KP.

Of those 35mm film bodies, I see the PZ-1p as most unique in being the forerunner of the modern DSLR design in controls and layout, with an excellent feature set and its built-in dual flash capability with a bounce flash in the hot shoe combined with strait-on built-in flash.

Of the DSLRs, I see the KP as most unique in its design, feature set, and build quality for its size and weight. And since it is being discontinued with a bulkier, heavier, more standard design soon coming, the KP could become a cult classic if there is no KP II.

I'd say, get one while available.
Strongly looking at getting a KP. I'm working on overcoming a certain obstacle.

Last edited by MichaelaPDX; 03-08-2021 at 06:45 PM. Reason: grammar
04-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #28
WRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K1 is obvious choice. Full frame and incredible camera.
04-19-2021, 12:16 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WRB Quote
K1 is obvious choice. Full frame and incredible camera.
Absolutely. It is a fine camera, unique and innovative and one to keep. I can't see why you wouldn't!
04-19-2021, 09:21 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, as getting older , the size and weight are being more and more important.
I have K-1 & K-1ll and have no desire to purchase any more FF modern bodies/lenses.
Now with K-3lll on the horizon and becoming reality , the cropped sensor Pentax will become the way to go for me.
I will keep collecting old FF primes as they are small , compact and very enjoyable , so will keep at least one FF Pentax just to be able to take those old "friends" for a walk from time to time.