Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2021, 08:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which Pentax camera to buy next?

I currently own the K70, K100D, and K1000. I've got the bug to purchase another camera from the historical line up and would be interested in hearing opinions on which Pentax camera models would be considered a "must have" for someone wanting to put together a historical collection of cameras.

Edit: I should have mentioned I'm looking at digital only. Have enough film cameras.

Last edited by MichaelaPDX; 03-05-2021 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added
03-05-2021, 09:08 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
boy

you are asking for it

" historical line up " is a little confusing

and leaves a lot to be imagined

can you narrow the field at all -

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Film SLR Databases and Resources
We have the following film SLR resources on the site, in addition to the forum:

Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews - DSLR, Digital, and Legacy Cameras
Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews - DSLR, Digital, and Legacy Cameras
M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews - DSLR, Digital, and Legacy Cameras
M37 Screwmount SLRs - Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews - DSLR, Digital, and Legacy Cameras

Pentax Film SLR Databases and Resources - PentaxForums.com
03-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
I currently own the K70, K100D, and K1000. I've got the bug to purchase another camera from the historical line up and would be interested in hearing opinions on which Pentax camera models would be considered a "must have" for someone wanting to put together a historical collection of cameras.
If you are wanting a film camera, the LX is a must have. If digital, why not get the original Pentax DSLR, the *istD?
03-05-2021, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #4

Haha, I kind of suffer from the same disease. If you are into history, you can't miss out on a 645, that one did it for me.

03-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An LX, MX, SP F, H1, 6x7 are all ones that come to mind.
03-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you want a film era camera....... LX or MX or Super A
03-05-2021, 09:53 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Film:
Two lineups, earlier m42 Mount or K Mount. Within both there are specific points like open aperture metering for m42 and in body aperture control, autofocus, etc with K Mount. Additionally there are some fixed lens point and shoot cameras of note.

Then outside 35mm you have the mighty 6x7, the 645, the auto 110.

Oddballs:
ME-F the first autofocus camera from Pentax.

Digital:
The early *ist models used TTL rather than P-TTL for flash. The first “pro” Pentax cameras (k10d). Some colors of the k01 should be rare. Odd Q series with unusual colors. Etc.

Pentax has a rich varied history. The sky and your wallet are the limits.

03-05-2021, 10:58 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please note OP's request : "I should have mentioned I'm looking at digital only. Have enough film cameras."

So , the list of "the must have" Pentax cameras , all of them I did use , most of them still own and enjoy.
K10D , great CCD sensor
Kx , the first DSLR camera with sensor usable in low light
K-5 II s , the real classic
K-01 , important part of Pentax history
K-s1 , very compact , I love it
K-3II , for now but to be replaced with K-3III
K-1 , the first FF Pentax , the only FF Pentax I am going to keep
KP , very unique , silver with three hand grips and one battery grip
MX-1 , with optional beautifully hand crafted leather case - poor man's Leica
and of course the original Q , the marvel of engineering and plastic Q-s1 with bigger and better sensor
03-05-2021, 11:22 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Please note OP's request : "I should have mentioned I'm looking at digital only. Have enough film cameras.". . .
to clarify, the OP indicated he was not interested in film cameras at 11:11

so all of the replies before that did not have that information
03-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've got the bug to purchase another camera from the historical line up and would be interested in hearing opinions on which Pentax camera models would be considered a "must have" for someone wanting to put together a historical collection of cameras.
Historical perspective?
1) EI-2000: First Pentax digital camera released in early 2000. 2MP!
2) EI-100: Classic compact and the smallest sensor at 1MP.
3) *ist D: First Pentax DSLR. 6MP.
4) 645D: First Pentax medium format. 40MP.
5) K1: First Pentax full frame. 36MP.

Practical perspective?
1) KP: Current top of the line APS-C, unique design, discounted prices due to upcoming K3iii. 24MP.
2) K1ii: Current top of the line FF. 36MP.
3) 645Z: Current top of the line MF. 51MP.
4) QS-1: The last Pentax named mirrorless ILC. 12MP.
5) WG-3 GPS: The last and best featured Pentax named waterproof. 16MP.

Of course parent company Ricoh has better mirrorless and waterproof options, but they incorrectly spelled PENTAX on the front of those cameras.
03-05-2021, 11:37 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A K5 or any of its variants (K5, K5II, K5IIs) is a great camera still relevant today.
As for film, No, we never have enough film cameras.

Thanks,
03-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can recommend the K10D (10mp) at ISO 400 or less and the K-5IIs (16mp) at ISO 1600 or less. I've gotten fantastic results from both. Even though I now have a KP, I wouldn't want to part with either one.
03-05-2021, 11:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

For historical perspective, I would get the K10D (the first high end Pentax DSLR) and K5 II (the start of the Ricoh era). At this stage, don't bother with the K20D, K7 or K5. They are from a bygone era - the cameras that time forgot. Of course, as your collection grows, you can get one some of them later.

For more recent perspective, look at the K3 or K3 II. Then again, the KP is on the way out - might as well get one of those.
03-05-2021, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildbunch Quote
Haha, I kind of suffer from the same disease. If you are into history, you can't miss out on a 645, that one did it for me.
I would love to get a 645 but it's out of my budget for the time being. I keep looking though.

---------- Post added 03-05-21 at 01:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Please note OP's request : "I should have mentioned I'm looking at digital only. Have enough film cameras."

So , the list of "the must have" Pentax cameras , all of them I did use , most of them still own and enjoy.
K10D , great CCD sensor
Kx , the first DSLR camera with sensor usable in low light
K-5 II s , the real classic
K-01 , important part of Pentax history
K-s1 , very compact , I love it
K-3II , for now but to be replaced with K-3III
K-1 , the first FF Pentax , the only FF Pentax I am going to keep
KP , very unique , silver with three hand grips and one battery grip
MX-1 , with optional beautifully hand crafted leather case - poor man's Leica
and of course the original Q , the marvel of engineering and plastic Q-s1 with bigger and better sensor
Nice list. I need to take a look at the K5iis.

---------- Post added 03-05-21 at 01:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
For historical perspective, I would get the K10D (the first high end Pentax DSLR) and K5 II (the start of the Ricoh era). At this stage, don't bother with the K20D, K7 or K5. They are from a bygone era - the cameras that time forgot. Of course, as your collection grows, you can get one some of them later.

For more recent perspective, look at the K3 or K3 II. Then again, the KP is on the way out - might as well get one of those.
I was looking strongly at getting a K7 but like you say, I didn't see that it was of significance in the history. As for the KP, I know I'm going to kick myself later for not buying one now but, budget wise, I'm up against a challenge (wife).
03-05-2021, 12:40 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Edit: I should have mentioned I'm looking at digital only. Have enough film cameras.

With that existing selection, one of the *istD variants is obviously 'needed' to make the range more representative. The original *istD uses "Compact Flash" memory cards, which may make it slightly less "useable", if that's a consideration, and I'd suggest one of the "flagship" models should be included as well. I can recommend the K-5, from personal experience, in this respect, but I'm sure there's perfectly good argument for one or more of the others.
As a "user/collector" myself, I'm keeping my eyes open for a K-01, simply for the styling, but they usually change hands for rather more than I'd like to pay for a shelf ornament
Good luck - and enjoy them all