Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PMA saved me a lot of money

It looks like it will be a while before Sony has a new sensor on the market and no hint from Samsung on a new sensor. Since Pentax will probably continue to outsource sensors I don't need to think about a new body for at least 8 months. It seems the new sensor Sony is hinting at will be larger than APS-C, either an APS-H or FF. Either way that will most likely be the next sensor Pentax will offer sometime very late in the year or next year.

It seems reasonable to assume the new DA lenses will work on a APS-H sensor but may not be suitable for a FF sensor. Until I know what the next sensor size is I won't be buying any DA lenses. Just to be on the safe side I'm going to stick with older lenses for now. It looks like the only thing I'll buy for at least a year would be a 85mm f1.8 if I can find one. I might have to step up to the FA77 LTD if I can't find an 85.
Regards,

03-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Thanks for sharing your insights. I too have had that concern about future FF DSlRs and DA lens. I too am going to hold off until I have a clearer sense of the direction Pentax might go with their sensors and cameras. That said I am sure that there will be Pentax DSLRs that will continue to work with DA lenses for many years to come. But for me the Pentax feature I have always valued most is the ability to use any lens on any body.
03-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I simply don't understand all these fears about future sensor size.

Pentax has made it loud and clear that its future direction is with DA lenses. That's the whole reason why all the DFA lenses in the previous roadmap has been changed to DAs. And if they have a larger sensor in its sleeve, you can be certain that it would work with DAs. They won't make a few pro lenses only to be obsoleted within a year or two.
03-09-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A Question..

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I simply don't understand all these fears about future sensor size.

Pentax has made it loud and clear that its future direction is with DA lenses. That's the whole reason why all the DFA lenses in the previous roadmap has been changed to DAs. And if they have a larger sensor in its sleeve, you can be certain that it would work with DAs. They won't make a few pro lenses only to be obsoleted within a year or two.
Are you sure that the new DA* lenses wouldn't work on a 1.25-30 Sensor?

Ben

03-09-2007, 11:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well look at Nikon. All their DX lenses are cropped for APS.

There was a rumour going around about possible a new full frame body and how the camera will have a 'DX' mode where only the part of the sensor in the APS image circle will be activated.
03-10-2007, 12:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

OK..But

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Well look at Nikon. All their DX lenses are cropped for APS.

There was a rumour going around about possible a new full frame body and how the camera will have a 'DX' mode where only the part of the sensor in the APS image circle will be activated.
Sorry, I really don't wish to frustrate you regarding the subject but that is Nikon you are mentioning and not Pentax.
03-10-2007, 01:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Are you sure that the new DA* lenses wouldn't work on a 1.25-30 Sensor?
My point is that whatever sensor size Pentax decides to use in the next few years, I am sure it will be compatible with the DA lenses. That's why I said you should not need to worry that the DA lenses would get obsoleted in the foreseeable future.

03-10-2007, 05:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't doubt the DA and DA* lenses would be fine on any sensor smaller than FF. The point is we have no idea as to what the next sensor is going to be. Pentax is at the mercy of the sensor manufacturers and must adapt to what is going to be developed. I wouldn't be a very happy camper to learn my $1,000 DA* lens only works at 10MP on a new 15MP FF sensor somebody develops. Granted I'm an equipment geek and want the latest, greatest. The idea of owning an expensive lens that only works at some crop factor is just unacceptable.

I feel quit confident all my old lenses and any FA lenses I might buy will work on any sensor that is developed. It just seems more prudent to stick with FA lenses until we know what the next sensor will be. My K10D is great and am very happy with it but if a better model comes out I know I'll be lusting after it.

Regards,
03-10-2007, 06:23 AM   #9
Inactive Account

APS-C is IT

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
I'm going to stick with older lenses for now.
Ya, good plan; buy old stuff instead of the latest and greatest. That's just silly. IMHO.
03-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ya, buying a FA 77 LTD or a FA 31LTD is pretty dumb isn't it?

Regards,
03-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
The point is we have no idea as to what the next sensor is going to be.
Whatever the next sensor is going to be, it won't be full frame - that's the message Pentax is telling us.
03-10-2007, 12:58 PM   #12

I'm taking this opportunity to refresh my aspect ratio rant.

< RANT >

When the original 35mm frame was designed, it simply put two movie frames together. The problem was that the common print sizes at the time (8x10/11x14/16x20 and so on, at least in the States) meant you needed to chop off the ends of your images to sell a portrait or fill a standard magazine page.

Medium format cameras were designed to fit the print sizes more easily, wasting less image.

When the one-hour photo joints came on line, they started offering 4x6 instead of 4x5 for snapshots, like they used to.

Now we have an entire generation of people who can't conceive of any other shape for a sensor. Why?? If I make an A3 print from my DSLR, I need to chop off the ends.

With 35mm I ignored the edges of the frame in a lot of cases - they didn't make it into the final product. Now you can buy focusing screens with lines scored for 8x10 or 5x7, so you know what to ignore if you're using standard paper sizes. Because I tend to compose in the viewfinder, this solves some of the problem.

But WHY NOT MAKE A SENSABLE SENSOR? If the shape is more suited to portraits, to the A3 or A4 paper sizes, we get to use more of those precious megapixels we're always obsessing about!!

Pentax has shown a willingness to go its own way. Perhaps they can convince someone to make a sensor to suit the image circle of the new lenses without causing us to lose the ends of the frame.

I'm still waiting for the 645D.

< /RANT >
03-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good rant

I completely agree. Hope Pentax marketing is reading these posts.

Regards,
03-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
I'm taking this opportunity to refresh my aspect ratio rant.

< RANT >

When the original 35mm frame was designed, it simply put two movie frames together. The problem was that the common print sizes at the time (8x10/11x14/16x20 and so on, at least in the States) meant you needed to chop off the ends of your images to sell a portrait or fill a standard magazine page.

Medium format cameras were designed to fit the print sizes more easily, wasting less image.

When the one-hour photo joints came on line, they started offering 4x6 instead of 4x5 for snapshots, like they used to.

Now we have an entire generation of people who can't conceive of any other shape for a sensor. Why?? If I make an A3 print from my DSLR, I need to chop off the ends.

With 35mm I ignored the edges of the frame in a lot of cases - they didn't make it into the final product. Now you can buy focusing screens with lines scored for 8x10 or 5x7, so you know what to ignore if you're using standard paper sizes. Because I tend to compose in the viewfinder, this solves some of the problem.

But WHY NOT MAKE A SENSABLE SENSOR? If the shape is more suited to portraits, to the A3 or A4 paper sizes, we get to use more of those precious megapixels we're always obsessing about!!

Pentax has shown a willingness to go its own way. Perhaps they can convince someone to make a sensor to suit the image circle of the new lenses without causing us to lose the ends of the frame.

I'm still waiting for the 645D.

< /RANT >
This probably won't happen until everyone can agree on what print sizes to offer in the first place. Here, I can get 8x12 prints done just about everywhere.. meaning my APS-C sensor is fully useable without any cropping whatsoever. So why would I need a sensor that is then built to an 8x10 specification? Elsewhere, 8x10 is the only size... so then the rant makes sense.

Overseas, they have *completely* different ideas of what standard print sizes are.

Going on tradition is just cheaper for the companies in the long run. It's easier and more cost-efficient to make a standard sensor size, than it is to build sensors around all the different 'standard' print sizes out there.
03-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Sorry, I really don't wish to frustrate you regarding the subject but that is Nikon you are mentioning and not Pentax.
Haha yea I know. But since Nikon buys their sensors from Sony, perhaps Pentax will soon enjoy the same benefits.

Like if the rumours are true..then if Pentax decides to adopt this sensor, maybe a "DA MODE" will be one way to retain compatibility of the digital only lenses.