Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just picked up a couple of umbrella type QS-24 reflector/diffusers (softboxes) from CheetahStand if you want to go big (CheetahStand was having a sale which appeared on this forum). These are compact but unfold to a 24 inch umbrella complete with flash mount. You need a stand and a flash with remote trigger ability (or slave), but these are something else to consider. They don't, however, go on the top of a camera.

https://www.cheetahstand.com/product-p/qs24.htm

03-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tons of great cheap options so far in this thread!

If you want the cheapest of the cheap option, if you have one of those Banker's Boxes, take the lid and exacto-knife the flat center of it out, then tape on a few layers of tissue paper.
At close distances, even a 10-12" window can be a HUGE light source for macro photos.
03-19-2021, 06:55 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
building on what others have said, my macro flash setup is actually studio kit too - not super cheap but very flexible. Andn good for portraits too

Have couple of studio stands, with cold shoe on top. Run flashes on manual (a Metz as my main source and smaller Pentax as fill). Each fires through a small shoot through umbrella.

Picked up some cheap ebay remote triggers, planning to get something better when they broke but they are still going strong (touch wood)
03-23-2021, 05:39 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cut a section from a gallon milk jug