Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #1
Closed Account

Good way to diffuse a flash?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have the ole Pentax af200fg flash.
What's a good way to diffuse the light with it? I've been putting foot socks over it for the time being - lol.
May use it with macro photography....

03-15-2021, 04:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some cake icing comes in white translucent plastic containers. After washing it, just place it over the flash. The ones I've used used would fit a AF200. I've also used layers of frosted cellophane tape stuck to the flash tube. May or may not leave a residue when removed. You can try different numbers of layers to get the effect you want. Both of these methods would transmit more light than a sock, I think. You can also rubber-band Kleenex to the flash. Who needs expensive professional attachments?
03-15-2021, 06:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Universal Foldable Soft Box Flash Diffuser Dome For Canon Nikon Sony Pentax 2016 | eBay
03-15-2021, 06:50 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A white cotton or linen handkerchief was an old standby for me, with a rubber band to hold it in place,
Fold it in different layers to vary the effect.
When not in use, takes up almost no space in the bag.

03-15-2021, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #5

The only way to soft the light is make it bigger... So the only way is bounce it to a white board or wall.
03-15-2021, 07:46 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This ^ ^ ^

...or similar on-flash mini softbox. I have one that came as a freebee from Adorama when I bought my Sigma flash.

https://www.adorama.com/glmsb.html?

This sort of solution works quite well as long as the diffuser size (usually about 4x4") meets your needs. Be aware that clearance may be a problem if attached to a small flash mounted on-camera.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-15-2021 at 08:18 PM.
03-15-2021, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

For macro you don't need much diffusing because the light is big compared to the subject. Getting the light where the lens isn't in the way can be a problem. A tube like a pringles can stuck on the flash with the other end cut at a 45° angle with tissue paper or a white or sanded plastic bag over the opening will work as well as any you can buy. The bought ones look nice and fold up. For large subjects that flash is only good for filling in shadows. A small diffuser will help a little. The main problem is it is still small and shadows are mostly from below. Holding the camera upside down would probably help more where it is filling under a chin.

03-15-2021, 08:41 PM   #8
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
What's a good way to diffuse the light with it? I've been putting foot socks over it for the time being - lol.
I started by using a handkerchief. Much thinner and you can fold it over and drape it different ways depending on how close you are to a subject and how much light you want to get through. This worked reasonably well for the onboard flash on my K-5 and macro shooting. I've also used plastic push on diffusers or a larger velcro diffuser for an external flash. My Metz flash also has a white card that pops out for doing bounced flash that works best in some situations.
03-15-2021, 09:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I started by using a handkerchief. Much thinner and you can fold it over and drape it different ways depending on how close you are to a subject and how much light you want to get through. This worked reasonably well for the onboard flash on my K-5 and macro shooting. I've also used plastic push on diffusers or a larger velcro diffuser for an external flash. My Metz flash also has a white card that pops out for doing bounced flash that works best in some situations.
That white card on the Metz is more for adding a highlight to the subject's eyes. The bouncing off the ceiling is what does the diffusion.
03-16-2021, 02:17 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

After various experiments I ended up with my own home made diffuser. It's the bottom end of a plastic mayo bottle that happened to be the right size, tightly packed with scrunched up bubblewrap. The bubble wrap bounces the light around all over the place and gives a very natural non-flash sort of look with the flash head set at 45 degrees.

03-16-2021, 02:50 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
what they said

DIY I also use craft foam, A3 white (and A3 black is useful) held on with elastic band - with some mini bulldog clips you can make all sorts of shapes or to bounce off

Also have a large Rogue received as a gift, possibly not worth the money but nice / useful too
03-16-2021, 04:38 AM   #12

Thomas Shahan likes using tracing paper.

See this video review on Venus KX-800 twin macro flash from around 2 minutes in where he discusses diffusion. Shows one of the methods he uses to attach the paper.

The problem with using plastic containers (like milk or juice containers) is they often have a slight color cast - usually yellow/orange but sometimes blue. Also the cast can change with age.
03-16-2021, 05:31 AM   #13
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
That white card on the Metz is more for adding a highlight to the subject's eyes. The bouncing off the ceiling is what does the diffusion.
I agree that this is the primary use, when you have a ceiling or wall to bounce the flash off of, and you want a little bit of light going onto the person's face. However, in an outdoor setting, and with the flash at an angle less than vertical, you can use the white card to deflect just a bit of light onto a macro / close focus subject. Is it ideal? Probably not, but if that's all you've got, in can work in some situations.
03-16-2021, 07:56 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look up online, B&H or Adorama the VELLO UNIVERSAL FLASH DIFFFUSER. Simple device, fits over smaller strobes easily, larger units with a bit of a pull. Only $10, Works well for macro.
03-16-2021, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I have the ole Pentax af200fg flash.
Hi!

that flash isn't very powerful. Diffusing it will decrease the power reaching the subject significantly. I'm not sure that, on its own, it's the best choice for that.

You can always purchase small, rectangle diffusers (sometimes called Sto-fen). Those help somewhat, but mostly when you can orient the head vertically to brighten up a whole room.

You could also use a rig like this one, I sometimes use it for macro:

Otherwise, the best solution would be to get a more powerful flash, move it farther away from the subject, and use a larger diffuser. A transparent plastic container can help (might create a colour cast though).

It you have a ceiling, a bounce card helps.

Otherwise, a cheap white umbrella works wonders and is inexpensive (look at ebay or Aliexpress for something really cheap, until you get a feel about what you would like for the future).