Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #1

K200d and battery problem?

My father has a new pantax k200d and from the beginning everything was working fine, now after 2 months suddenly is having problems with battery life, but first I must say that batteries are OK( I checked the voltage and current and the charger is working fine too), when he put fully charged batteries in the camera is ok for about 50-100 shots and then suddenly the indicator shows that the batteries are depleted, he take out the batteries and in a while time put it back in and the camera indicator is showing that the batteries are again fully charged, but just for about 20 shots and then again all is over. That thing with batteries is going on for about 3 weeks and it happened for no aparent reason.
Iam asking if anyone of you anytime had the same problems with pentax camera, I will be happy of your help, thank you.
Sorry for my english It's long time since school.
Almost forgot to tell that the batteries in camera are annsmann digital 2850 mAh and GP 270mAh.
Thanks, Luka

11-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Kei

Photos: Gallery
The K200d prefers Low Self-discharge (LSD) nimh rechargeable batteries. I use Sanyo Eneloop and never have a problem. The difference is night and day compare to other nimh batteries.

Here's what I got out of my K200d:

GP2500 mah ~200 shots
Energizer 2500 mah ~250 shots
Sanyo Eneloop 2000 mah ~500+ shots

I also noticed that the GP2500 and Energizers can get me those shot counts only if I use it shortly after fully charge them. So I don't use them on the k200d anymore.
11-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Aye as Kei says, I think it's time to rethink your battery policy.
11-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kei Quote
The K200d prefers Low Self-discharge (LSD) nimh rechargeable batteries. I use Sanyo Eneloop and never have a problem. The difference is night and day compare to other nimh batteries.
This is about right.

Although high capacity NiMH sound like they can contain more energy/power - they unfortunately develop high rates of self-discharge.

To get more capacity into a battery the components like separator have to be thinner - therefore the batteries are more fragile and prone to damage - both physically as well as from over charging or over heating - so although they start off well - they deteriorate pretty quickly.

For example Energizer 2500mAh NiMH have a very bad rep over at CPF's Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included section with frequent reports of them not holding charge - some as low as only a few days.....
this seems to apply to other higher capacity (>=2500mAH) NiMH - even the best known brands -

ref:
More dying Energizer 2500's...

Duracell 2650 batteries dying

It looks as though the K200D has "inherited" the poor battery behavior of the *ist and K100D -

The Pentax K100D is notorious for being very battery fussy - mainly as pointed out - due to too high voltage threshold/cutoff levels -
Ref: Post #49 (link) in thread - K100D - "Low-Battery" Problem gives details of the meter voltage levels.

Primary Lithium AA's are probably the best - like the Energizer e2 lithiums - as they maintain higher operating voltages - but they are relatively expensive and use-once only.

For rechargeable eneloops are the way to go - please see -

Summary Post #57 (link) of this thread eneloop vs. Kodak Pre-Charged Voltage Maintenance

where I used a Pentax K100D to show that eneloops maintained a higher operating voltage under-load than the Kodak Pre-Charged (otherwise great LSD NiMH).

I get shot counts of between 550-650 shots with well over 50% flash using eneloops - this well exceeds the K100D specs for 2500mAh NiMH - in fact approaches the specs for Lithium batteries without flash.

11-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Although I whole-heartedly support going the eneloop route, I've honestly been using regular Sanyo 2700 mAh rechargeables and they've been doing a great job since February. I got over 800 shots in one very busy day; and the batteries weren't even fully charged. I need to charge them roughly once every 3 weeks. I don't take too many pictures.
11-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lukas Quote
I must say that batteries are OK( I checked the voltage and current and the charger is working fine too)
When you checked the voltage, what did it say? The K200D normally requires around 1.2V per cell, as I recall. The camera won't work once the voltage drops below that. But there is also the matter of voltage under a very light load - as most voltmeters probably test - versus voltage under a heavier load (as the camera imposes).

Anyhow, I absolutely agree with the others - if you want to solve battery problems, stopping using anything but the newer "hybrid" batteries like Eneloops. Yes, they are rated as less capacity, but they hold their voltage above the magic 1.2 mark for longer, and that's what matters. The fact they are also low self-discharge is just gravy.