Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2021, 01:56 PM   #1
Closed Account

SD card question

Using the Pentax k-s2

I have an old USB attached SanDisk SD card reader. I am curious as to which SD cards it could read besides SDHC. Will it read SDXC?

03-20-2021, 02:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That'll depend on the reader itself. If it supports SDXC, there will usually be an SDXC logo on it. You can also try it out and see if it will recognize your SDXC card.

Most readers from before 2010 were SDHC only.
03-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Some will, some won't. Check the model number and google it. For example, just did this with my Verbatim model 97706 (USB 3.0) and find it reads the following:

CompactFlash Type I & Type II (CF), Secure Digital (SD), Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC), Mini SD , Micro SD , Memory Stick (MS), Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick Micro (M2), MultiMedia Card (MMC), xD-Picture Card (xD), Secure Digital XC (SDXC) for $25.

But it's not very old.

Hint: you really want usb 3 to do this.
03-20-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Some will, some won't. Check the model number and google it. For example, just did this with my Verbatim model 97706 (USB 3.0) and find it reads the following:

CompactFlash Type I & Type II (CF), Secure Digital (SD), Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC), Mini SD , Micro SD , Memory Stick (MS), Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick Micro (M2), MultiMedia Card (MMC), xD-Picture Card (xD), Secure Digital XC (SDXC) for $25.

But it's not very old.

Hint: you really want usb 3 to do this.
Just turned my old Sandisk reader over and it reads:

ImageMate 5 in 1 Reader
Model Number: sddr-99 v4
part number: 20-90-03067

Guess I have some Googling to do - don't want to put you folks off on doing what I should do for myself eh

But you folks can tell me which SD cards my k-s2 can use (beyond the standard old sdhc) - please ....

03-20-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The ks-2 can use all SD cards currently on the market, including sdxc. More details can be found below:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/comprehensive-sd-card-guide.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-20-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Just turned my old Sandisk reader over and it reads:

ImageMate 5 in 1 Reader
Model Number: sddr-99 v4
part number: 20-90-03067

Guess I have some Googling to do - don't want to put you folks off on doing what I should do for myself eh

But you folks can tell me which SD cards my k-s2 can use (beyond the standard old sdhc) - please ....
The ImageMate 5-in-1 Reader/Writer (version 20-90-03067) accepts the following memory card formats: 1. SD 2. SDHC 3. MultiMediaCard 4. MMCplus 5. MMCmobile 6. RS-MMC 7. RS-MMC Dual Voltage 8. Memory Stick 9. Memory Stick PRO 10. xD 11. xD Type M 12. xD Type H So, it looks likde the answer is no.

Trust me...you really do want usb 3 if you are doing anything significant.
03-20-2021, 05:14 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Trust me...you really do want usb 3 if you are doing anything significant.
This ^ ^ ^

...assuming that your computer hardware supports USB 3 (bright blue "tongue" on the female fitting).

Steve

03-20-2021, 05:17 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am curious as to which SD cards it could read besides SDHC. Will it read SDXC?
This information is in the K-S2 user manual. You can download for free from Ricoh Imaging, Japan...

Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

Steve
03-21-2021, 04:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

"Trust me...you really do want usb 3 if you are doing anything significant." You seem to forget that the handling speed is depending on the speed of the card you use.
03-21-2021, 06:38 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

True enough. But see: USB 2.0 vs. USB 3.0: Should You Upgrade Your Flash Drives?
03-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As noted, USB 3.0 flash drives may be hobbled by their flash memory speed. The same is true for slow cards in a USB 3.0 card reader and slow hardware on the receiving end.

Steve
03-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Using the Pentax k-s2

I have an old USB attached SanDisk SD card reader. I am curious as to which SD cards it could read besides SDHC. Will it read SDXC?
SanDisk has this comment about your question in their compatibility section: NOTE: Internal card readers on laptops up to year 2008 may NOT support SDXC cards. SDXC cards will work in SDHC compatible readers (not SD readers) if the computer OS supports exFAT.

Generally SD cards are backward compatible with the covet the faster SDHX UHS-II cards will run at the slower speed of the readers and devices they are used in as expressed in the linked SanDisk specification page.

Time to upgrade your SD card reader at any rate.