Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2021, 09:51 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax system

I last used a Pentax camera during the film camera era. Even though I loved Pentax when it transitioned into the digital era I ended up with Nikon, Sony, Fujifilm and Olympus. Now, I feel like buying Pentax again. I currently use Nikon Z 6, Fujifilm XH-1and Sony A7Rll. I am shooting many genres including nature, wildlife (birds and other animals), travel, street, portrait etc as a hobby. However, I am an advanced and experienced Photographer - not a Professional though. Portability is also one of my priorities. I thought of purchasing a "well used" Pentax K 70 for a start. I would like to know the prospects with the Pentax system - particularly K 70. Please enlighten me in this regard.

03-26-2021, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to buy a well used camera, I'd recommend picking one from the high-end line, as these are more durable and haven't had any major QC issues. I'd recommend the KP if you want something newer, or the K-3 or K-3 II.
03-27-2021, 01:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forum!
I have not had any problems with either the K50 or the K70, but both have a reputation for an aperture block failure, and getting a "well used" K70 may be an unnecessary risk. The higher end Pentax models like the KP or K3ii will have better autofocus for your bird photography, but if you're on a budget, a K70 with good lenses will make more of a difference than a better camera with a kit lens.
03-27-2021, 04:26 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

some of the threads in this section might be of help

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/49283-u...tml#post471963

I have set up the forum's comparison tool to compare some choices for you, size, features, weight etc

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-5 IIs - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

there has been some reported problems with the K 70 as mentioned by Alex

all but the K 70 are now " discontinued " by Pentax

the K 3 and K 5 families have a good reputation I believe

the KP is not the same built or size but is the latest of the ones to have been developed

03-27-2021, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DammikaD Quote
I last used a Pentax camera during the film camera era. Even though I loved Pentax when it transitioned into the digital era I ended up with Nikon, Sony, Fujifilm and Olympus. Now, I feel like buying Pentax again. I currently use Nikon Z 6, Fujifilm XH-1and Sony A7Rll. I am shooting many genres including nature, wildlife (birds and other animals), travel, street, portrait etc as a hobby. However, I am an advanced and experienced Photographer - not a Professional though. Portability is also one of my priorities. I thought of purchasing a "well used" Pentax K 70 for a start. I would like to know the prospects with the Pentax system - particularly K 70. Please enlighten me in this regard.
What advantages do you expect from a Ricoh/Pentax camera over the camera's you own? And given the camera's you own, my advice would point in the direction of a KP or one of the K-3's.
03-27-2021, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Portability is also one of my priorities. I thought of purchasing a "well used" Pentax K 70 for a start. I would like to know the prospects with the Pentax system - particularly K 70.
Hello,

Welcome to Pentax Forums!

Your question is sure to prompt a variety of answers. I think you already have several excellent cameras, and presumably decent lenses. In general, the Pentax system offers a small number of excellent cameras covering three formats. The lens system is fairly comprehensive, albeit with gaps depending on specialized needs. Pentax has a set of excellent, small and truly endearing prime lenses -- the DA and FA 'Limited' series -- and also several top-notch large-aperture lenses such as the HD D-FA* 50/1.4 and 85/1.4. An overview of the lens line-up may be found at: Lens list for Digital single-lens reflex camera / Lens lineup/ Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

Being digital SLR cameras, the Pentax models are generally heavier and not as compact as their mirrorless counterparts. However, assuming comparable lenses, the overall systems may be similar in portability, especially if one accepts the smaller APS-C format. For example, your Z6 with a 24-70/4 lens has a mass of 1175 g, whereas a K-70 + 16-50/2.8 is 1255 g, a difference of only 3 oz. The Fuji X-H1 and 18-55mm lens weights about 980 g, so it's around 20% lighter than the K-70 kit.

The Pentax KP with a couple of 'Limited' prime lenses makes a really nice, compact kit that produces fine images and is enjoyable to use.

Pentax is known for excellent ergonomics, usability, robustness, and image quality, among other attributes. You may be interested to learn about the Pentax 'vision' at

and

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/brand/pentax/vision/?utm_source=rim_t...gn=statement_e

It would be useful to know the limitations that you find with your current gear.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-27-2021 at 02:03 PM.
03-27-2021, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
. . . Pentax has a set of excellent, small and truly endearing prime lenses -- the DA and FA 'Limited' series -- . . .
beware of the Pentax " Limited " series

a lot of us [ moi included ] found it was hard to stop at just having one of those lenses

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 26 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-27-2021 at 08:16 AM.
03-27-2021, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the features of a camera system is all the various lenses and accessories that go with. I started with Pentax and stayed because it suits my needs and because learning a new system would be time consuming and expensive because of the duplication of gear. Nothing Pentax has is going to produce better images than your existing gear, it will just be another system to buy stuff for. Just my opinion.

If you do wish to try out another system then I would suggest a K-3 or K-3II, not the K-70. Or a KP if that fits your budget. A KP with a set of Limited lenses would be a lot of fun. The 15mm, 21mm, 35mm macro, 40mm pancake, and 70mm are all excellent. Add the DFA 100mm macro, which isn't listed as a Limited but should have been, and you have a very nice kit.
03-27-2021, 09:36 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are looking pre owned, here is another vote for the KP. Using the smallest grip gives you a film camera feel. It has a small form factor but IQ from the 24mp sensor is excellent. Limited primes are tiny, many are pancakes, and their reputation is fully justified. You have three programmable dials, ibis, weather sealing ... And the ibis and focus confirmation work with vintage primes. M42 lenses work beautifully. And you have a flip screen.
03-27-2021, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

The K-3 II is an excellent camera. I have one and it is very nice.
03-28-2021, 03:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Portability (with high build quality and high performance quality) to me spells the KP. Excellent controls, excellent optical VF, many useful features.

No doubt someone like you would not be shooting with the mode dial set on "Auto", but just in case, with Pentax that setting is basically for novices to temporarily use your camera perhaps to get a shot with you in it. This mode will defeat the operation of most controls and bar access to most adjustments. If wishing full automation of exposure by the camera, the "P"mode has none of these deficits. The KP's processor is exceptionally good for high quality JPEG images right out of the camera, just be sure to set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Images menus. The KP is one fine compact DSLR.
04-18-2021, 03:34 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Given the extremely competitive price of a new K-70 with all of its many features, and the fact there are some good deals around online, I would recommend you buy a new one if you can. You then have the warranty, just in case.
04-18-2021, 04:13 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
. . . A KP with a set of Limited lenses would be a lot of fun. The 15mm, 21mm, 35mm macro, 40mm pancake, and 70mm are all excellent. Add the DFA 100mm macro, which isn't listed as a Limited but should have been, and you have a very nice kit.
don't over look the FA series of Limiteds - the 31mm, 43mm and 77mm
04-18-2021, 10:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Ihave a K3ii, but still love my K5, 16Mp and it won't be too expensive to get going with.
04-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I ended up with Nikon, Sony, Fujifilm and Olympus. Now, I feel like buying Pentax again. I currently use Nikon Z 6, Fujifilm XH-1and Sony A7Rll.
I would like to know the prospects with the Pentax system - particularly K 70.
Based on the above, what you get with Pentax is more variety on your shelf. The K-70 is a high featured and robust mid-range APS-C camera at an entry level price and is arguably the best camera on the planet in its market segment and definitely the best dSLR in that segment. Current lens selection from Pentax is such that most people will run out of money before they exhaust the options. Legacy lens options from Pentax and 3rd-party are impressive. Current lens offerings from third-party sources is less impressive.

Given the K-70's pricing, I suggest buying new and mating the body to the DA 16-85/3.5-5.6 as a walk-around zoom. If buying used, I suggest a lightly-used KP or K-3II.

FWIW...members here are not brand ambassadors, just owners, some more enthusiastic than others. I could be shooting any of the brands you listed, but see no obvious advantages over what I currently shoot with other than novelty of different tech.

Steve