Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2021, 03:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP over-exposure

Occasionally, my new KP will over expose an image in a big way. It literally blows out all of the highlights. It looks like it may be an ISO issue, not a shutter issue. I’m using center weighted exposure in an aperture preferred setup. I may compensate exposure by one third up or down to enhance color. The frequency might be as high as 1 out of 20 exposures. Any ideas? ISO is set on auto with an upper limit of 3200.

03-30-2021, 03:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My KP gives me a "surprise" occasionally; I have not figured out the circumstances as it is quite irregular and infrequent- I usually blame it on "me".
03-30-2021, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
My KP gives me a "surprise" occasionally; I have not figured out the circumstances as it is quite irregular and infrequent- I usually blame it on "me".
The one area I've found--true of both the K-70 and KP (also somewhat true of the K-50 but less so)--is taking pictures in bright sunlight and snow. Doesn't matter if the exposure is set to spot, center weighted, or full scene, most shots are blown out. If I dial in a full -3 exposure compensation and use center-weighted, I usually get much better results. Pretty much the same for the K-70. The K-50 only had to be dialed -1 down or so. Sometimes I go back all the way to manual and use test shots to adjust.
03-30-2021, 04:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
The one area I've found--true of both the K-70 and KP (also somewhat true of the K-50 but less so)--is taking pictures in bright sunlight and snow. Doesn't matter if the exposure is set to spot, center weighted, or full scene, most shots are blown out. If I dial in a full -3 exposure compensation and use center-weighted, I usually get much better results. Pretty much the same for the K-70. The K-50 only had to be dialed -1 down or so. Sometimes I go back all the way to manual and use test shots to adjust.
This is my experience as well (except the snow part.....it's never snowed here!!) and I usually end up dialling in up to -1 stop of underexposure. I just assume it's a quirk of the KP.

03-30-2021, 04:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
This is my experience as well (except the snow part.....it's never snowed here!!) and I usually end up dialling in up to -1 stop of underexposure. I just assume it's a quirk of the KP.
I think it must relate to reflections off the bright snowcover (which might relate to rocks in Australia???). When I shoot on the water or land covered in dark rocks/evergreens such as are common in my shooting environment in the summer in bright sunlight, I don't find the need to make any such correction.
03-30-2021, 04:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
I think it must relate to reflections off the bright snowcover (which might relate to rocks in Australia???). When I shoot on the water or land covered in dark rocks/evergreens such as are common in my shooting environment in the summer in bright sunlight, I don't find the need to make any such correction.
It's most often the sky that blows out in my shots but I'm perfectly willing to accept that my shortcomings as a photographer could be to blame Other than that I've found the KP to give excellent exposures.
03-30-2021, 04:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Three possible ideas:

1. Sticky lens aperture: In the Pentax system, the camera doesn't push the apeture closed, it relies on the spring-loading inside the lens to pull the aperture closed. A weak spring, bent aperture lever, or oily blades can prevent the aperture from closing in time for the shutter. If this only happens to one lens but not with others, it problem may be the lens. And if this never happens when the lens is wide open, then it's likely the fault of the lens.

2. Accidental Exposure Lock: If you inadvertently hit the AE-L button, you might lock in a bad exposure.

3. Loose Light Meter Sensor: The light meter sensor sits in the pentaprism assembly and watches the image on the focusing screen. If the sensor gets knocked loose, it might sometime look elsewhere, see darkness, and select an long-shutter/high-ISO exposure setting.

One thing todo is to check the EXIF on photos that show the problem compared to ones that don't show the problem but were taken under identical lighting, subject matter. If the camera was using much the same aperture-shutter-ISO combination for both good and blown photos, then the problem is probably the lens. If the image EXIF shows it was using very different aperture-shutter-ISO combinations for good and blown photos, then the problem either the AE-L button or a loose meter sensor.

Good luck!

03-30-2021, 04:56 PM   #8
Forum Member

My KP always overexposes. I keep the exposure compensation at -3 all the time. It seems to take care of things. Might be a different issue than yours though as it sounds like you experience it sporadically.
03-30-2021, 05:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You may be using center weighted exposure in a situation that multi segment would work better (more often than not). There are many settings that could cause this in combination with how you are shooting. Custom menu page 1, number 5, Link AE and AF point. If you have that on, you meter when you hit the autofocus button, so if you focus and recompose exposure can be off. There are just so many ways to set the camera up, you just have to be careful one custom setting does not affect another.
03-30-2021, 06:00 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiddo70 Quote
Occasionally, my new KP will over expose an image in a big way. It literally blows out all of the highlights. It looks like it may be an ISO issue, not a shutter issue. I’m using center weighted exposure in an aperture preferred setup. I may compensate exposure by one third up or down to enhance color. The frequency might be as high as 1 out of 20 exposures. Any ideas? ISO is set on auto with an upper limit of 3200.
The question is whether there is a metering issue or an exposure issue. Metering issues are usually caused by the meter being "fooled" by something very dark or very light in the frame or by use of spot metering where matrix or center-weighted would be the better choices. Exposure issues, OTOH, may be caused by accidental use of exposure compensation, making an exposure when outside the camera or meter range (blinking display), mechanical malfunction (lens not stopping down properly), and use of TAv mode when the indicated ISO is above that set as the upper limit.

Question: What lens are you using and what exposure mode are using?

Steve
03-30-2021, 06:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The question is whether there is a metering issue or an exposure issue. Metering issues are usually caused by the meter being "fooled" by something very dark or very light in the frame or by use of spot metering where matrix or center-weighted would be the better choices. Exposure issues, OTOH, may be caused by accidental use of exposure compensation, making an exposure when outside the camera or meter range (blinking display), mechanical malfunction (lens not stopping down properly), and use of TAv mode when the indicated ISO is above that set as the upper limit.

Question: What lens are you using and what exposure mode are using?

Steve
The lens I use the most often is the SMC 200mm DA f2.8. Exposure mode is aperture preferred, AE lock at focus and recompose. The problem has occurred in high contrast situations but once exposure is locked, even ISO should not change (C1, #6 set to 2 (AE lock with focus lock)).

---------- Post added 03-30-21 at 06:28 PM ----------

Sorry. Center weighted exposure exclusively.
03-30-2021, 08:15 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiddo70 Quote
AE lock at focus and recompose
That may be your problem. Decouple focus from AE lock and see if things even out. You might also want to try trusting multi-segment metering too.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-30-2021 at 08:21 PM.
03-30-2021, 08:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That may be your problem. Decouple focus and AE lock and see if things even out.

Steve
I was about to suggest the same. My KP will over expose on rare occasion. I mostly shoot JPEG right out of the camera, and mostly use the matrix segmented metering, or spot when needed (especially in M mode) to address lighting that might fool the meter, or center-weighted only when most appropriate. I also have the DA* 200mm f/2.8 and have used it on numerous occasions with my KP bodies without issue.

As to exposure, I could say the opposite regarding my K-5 IIs.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-30-2021 at 08:31 PM.
03-30-2021, 08:28 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That may be your problem. Decouple focus from AE lock and see if things even out. You might also want to try trusting multi-segment metering too.

Steve
I'll give this a try - thanks Steve. I always use multi-segment and the results are usually very, very good. As I said I'm quite convinced that the over-exposure problems I have are down to user - error
03-30-2021, 09:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Steve
I’ll give these suggestions a try. However, most of my photography is wildlife where presets are usually necessary. Sometimes you have to be quick, and that could have something to do with this situation. I have found that both my K-70s and my KP have a problem with high contrast situations and shooting into the sun so I avoid both situations as much as I can. Thanks to all for your comments.