Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K10D or K200D

I've had my K10D for almost a year now, which is my first dSLR. Whenever I shoot at family parties and outings, I always let my sister shoot some as she has a good eye for things (she is 28, I am 23).

She is about to get married and I would like to get her a Pentax dSLR. It makes sense because I am very happy with my camera, and she could borrow lenses if she ever needed some. I doubt she'll catch the LBA bug, but her fiance, maybe. Plus I doubt she'll be shooting sports and she has no kids yet to play sports so it should serve her well. **I know Pentax can shoot sports, but it isn't the fastest, etc., etc.**

I was trying to figure out whether to get her a K10D or a K200D. They are similar in price right now and I don't mind buying used. I have over 7000 shots on my camera and it still works like new (knock on wood). What I like about the K200D is that it is newer, smaller, and has same megapixels as K10D. In fact, I can't really think of any reasons why the K10D would be much more superior except the front e-dial. Also, I dont see an AF.C switch on the K200D, either, but that's no deal breaker. Plus, I have a K10D so I want to get her something newer and different.

I guess, I've pretty much sold myself on the K200D, but is there anything I should know about the K200D? I read the DPReview on the K200D, and it was Highly Recommended if you shoot RAW. I don't know how serious my sister will get about shooting, but again, her fiance maybe. I can imagine her giving me pictures to PP.

Anyways, I think you get the point. I have considered a Km, but it might be too pricey and when it comes down to it, this will be a wedding gift for the bride AND groom. I could ramble on and on...so please share your thoughts and opinions. Thanks!

11-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Either one would make a fabulous gift indeed. She might like the size of the K200D better as you've mentioned. Then you get to play around with a new toy as well...
11-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #3

Personally I would prefer the K10D for the differences you mention (front dial, better view finder, etc), but one thing that may be a big plus point for your sister are the different scene modes (portrait, landscape, sports, etc). If you sister isn't seriously into photography she may have used these modes before on a p&s.

You just need to talk her into buying the lenses you want now ....
11-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
Either one would make a fabulous gift indeed. She might like the size of the K200D better as you've mentioned. Then you get to play around with a new toy as well...
Yes I think she would like the gift...actually she said I could/should get it for her. She's not into gift surprises She's come to like and appreciate the quality of shots (bokeh + sharpness) from a SLR and it would be great for the honeymoon.

QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
Personally I would prefer the K10D for the differences you mention (front dial, better view finder, etc)....

You just need to talk her into buying the lenses you want now ....
How different are the viewfinders? I'm guessing the K10D is slightly bigger/brighter? As far as lenses, I'll probably pass down my 50/1.4 My hope is that she wants to be compact and picks up a DA 40

11-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Hopefully on her honeymoon, a DSLR should be the last thing she should be thinking about.
11-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lol...good point, but I know she wants pictures of her and her soon to be. At least a few!
11-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #7

I replaced my K200D with a K10D and I loved the switch. The two dials, and the larger buffer sold me on the K10D. I also love having the back dial to switch my focusing area, the brighter and bigger(ish) veiwfinder is very nice as well.

-Yale

11-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
How different are the viewfinders? I'm guessing the K10D is slightly bigger/brighter?
Yes. The difference is noticeable if you compare side by side, but I can't say that it affects me much in day-to-day shooting - and I use MF lenses a *lot*. Someone who will mostly use AF wouldn't be likely to care.

As for the extra controls, they will appeal to a certain class of people - those who often change settings for whatever reason. Me, I never leave AF-S, center weighted metering, center focus point, etc. I shoot in M mode pretty much exclusively, and the only things I change are apertue, shutter speed and ISO. So the only K10D control I miss is the OK+wheel combo for changing ISO as opposed to needing the Fn menu. Luckily, that's the parameter I change the least.
11-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
How different are the viewfinders? I'm guessing the K10D is slightly bigger/brighter?
Sorry, I may have mislead you a little there - I don't have any experience with a K200D so can't say if there is a difference - it's just something I keep reading when people ask the difference between the 2 cameras I believe the K10D is brighter which helps with manual focussing, but I've never heard of anyone with a K200D complaining their viewfinder isn't bright enough ....
11-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The power source may also be something to consider. Some people like AA's, some don't. Just so she knows that she can't just pop in those $.99 buggers and expect performance.
11-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great point on the batteries...definitely missed that aspect.
11-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Marc, with the latest or last version of firmware for the K10D, you can change the ISO by pressing the OK button and moving the rear wheel.
11-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #13

My two cents ...

I have never handled the K200D but with the emergence of the K-M, the K200D is becoming the forgotten middle child of the family. I come across numerous K200D listing on Ebay, but I just don't understand the advantage of the K200D over the K10D. Have you tried looking into the K-m? Now that's a camera that's small and cute and would be great for your sis. The price isn't too either on Ebay. Have a look.
11-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yea I've been checking out the K-M. The auctions on eBay look to be a decent price, but I expect them to go up substantially before the auctions end...will have to monitor those. Like you, I don't see many pros for the K200D. For my sister, though, the K200D is newer, and not the same one I have.
11-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to leeak, I won a K-M/K2000 + 18-55mm on eBay . Final price, plus shipping: $430. So yea. I didn't think I would win, but I did. But it is a cute camera, the size is a plus, and it's a good start for my sister. Personally, I woulda chose a K10D for myself, but I think it will be a good fit. If she doesn't like it, I'll keep it myself or you might see it on these forums...