Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2021, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #16

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
Camera shops

I have been a long time customer of McBain Camera in Edmonton making purchases in store or online (I live in Campbell River, Vancouver Island). This longtime family business was recently purchased by the British Columbia based London Drugs chain. I have never had a problem getting Pentax products from McBain. Today I spoke with Leslie (purchasing manager) at the main Edmonton store to ask if they will be bringing in the K3 111, she replied 'probably on an order only basis and would not have any further details until April 6th.'. So my funds are ready and ready to push 'buy' once I know more.

04-01-2021, 05:45 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've got a great store Allens Camera 45 minutes from me but it's only ten minutes from my parents home. I'm kind of glad it's not real close or I could very easily spend a ton of money there.

I also have a store about 20 minutes away, it's not real good and really small but they were able to get me a Canon R5 last October in less than 48 hours when stores like B&H were telling people it would take months.

I'm also not far from a Best Buy in Delaware that has a very good camera section and does stock some good items and the best part is Delaware has no sales tax.
04-02-2021, 06:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I have a couple within the metro area. Neither carry pentax. There is also a couple used stores that sometimes has pentax
04-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I have a couple within the metro area. Neither carry pentax. There is also a couple used stores that sometimes has pentax
World of Photography had some K-mount film gear when I was in there a few years ago...Midwest used to have some Pentax but it doesn't seem to anymore...

04-17-2021, 01:18 PM   #20

Samy's Camera is about a 15 minute drive for me. Used to be a under 5 minute walk but they moved. They still have two or three stores in the Los Angeles area including a rental only. The store they moved into used to be an big train and model hobby shop. There are even less of these around than camera/photography shops. They still have the former stores train layouts but never run them anymore.
04-18-2021, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've found the official Ricoh US Authorized Dealers list to be lacking and out of date, so I made a spreadsheet of their authorized US dealers.

My updated dealer list: Ricoh Imaging US Authorized Dealers - Google Sheets
04-18-2021, 08:09 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean on an island that is 44 miles long and 30 miles across. We have two digital camera shops, one analog camera shop, and two BestBuy stores. However, no digital Pentax (although I saw a used Kr at a local pawn shop).

The next closest shops are in San Francisco about 2500 miles away. It takes most people about four days to drive there with the new bridge.
New bridge you say. I'll have to fire up the old Amphicar, next time I go to Hawaii, as I don't like flying.

04-18-2021, 08:17 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Three camera stores. Two about 25 mins away via driving, one about 15 minutes. Special order only for Pentax. About 10 years ago, there used to be about 6 , three have closed in the ensuing decade.
04-18-2021, 08:57 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I have one camera shop about twenty minutes away. They have a darkroom that customers can use and theyre helpful for the most part. My first visit some years ago I was looking at their used lens section and told the guy I shoot Pentax and he looked at me as if I were the last of an endangered species.
04-18-2021, 09:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
I have one camera shop about twenty minutes away. They have a darkroom that customers can use and theyre helpful for the most part. My first visit some years ago I was looking at their used lens section and told the guy I shoot Pentax and he looked at me as if I were the last of an endangered species.
Rockbrook Camera has two stores in Omaha (about 90 minutes from me) and a third a bit farther away in Lincoln. They are an authorized Pentax retailer, but when I emailed them to see about a K-3 iii (Support a local store if I can, I guess.), I didn’t even get a befuddled response. I have heard nothing. Summer of 2019, they had a guy out from Sigma to do a little workshop and then we got into the Durham Museum (tripods allowed) and then to do some street photography in the Old Market area. The Sigma rep had lenses for folks to try out, but of course no K mount gear. When I chatted to him a little bit, he seemed under the mistaken impression that Pentax had stopped making cameras altogether.
04-18-2021, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
New bridge you say. I'll have to fire up the old Amphicar, next time I go to Hawaii, as I don't like flying.
I was at a campus tour with my 'kids' at UBC Vancouver when our guide asked where everyone was from. When we told her we were from Hawaii, she said, "Wow, how long did it take to drive to Canada?" We told her with the new bridge to Seattle, only four days. No one smiled or laughed...except us, so I think there are folks that think there is a 3000 mile bridge that spans half the Pacific Ocean. Too bad it's one way.

BTW: Couple of nice camera shops in Vancouver, BC.
04-19-2021, 03:57 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I'm fortunate to have an official Pentax dealer just 45 minutes drive from me in Malaga, Spain.
04-19-2021, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #28

UK is definitely mixed bag also

I live a few minutes from a great store, regularly get stuff from them, but they dont list Pentax any more - when I asked if they could / would get me a Pentax lens (to put some Pentax business there way) they said not

Not sure how things are organised in terms of distributors in UK, but was slightly surprised they can't get all the other brands, maybe they dont *want* to stock Pentax?
04-20-2021, 03:50 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Here in the Philippines, there are still camera shops in Malls with Camerahaus as the biggest camera store chain in the country. This camera store is the official Pentax dealer in the country. It normally has a branch in the main cities in the provinces and it's normally located in the biggest malls in the areas. In Manila, a branch can be seen in almost all of the big malls, SM and Robinson's.
04-20-2021, 05:25 PM   #30
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our last local store closed in August. There was a rumor about another dealer opening a store, but I think that went away with Covid.