Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2021, 03:57 AM   #1

Camera shops?

Do you have a camera shop nearby?

My local camera shop closed a couple years ago and I find myself relying on forums such as this for camera advice rather that my local shop keeper.
My searches tell me the closest one to me is 2 hours away. Not in a direction I ever go.

I can't be alone, who else has suddenly found themselves without a local source of info and equipment?

04-01-2021, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am about 5 minutes away from a Henry’s outlet store, but, I have had virtually all other stores that were within about a 5 mile radius close, including one small independent that I bought most of my cameras from since the 1980’s and one shop that specialized in repairs and used gear.

The issue with independents, especially those who do repairs is that they are highly dependent on their owners, who want to retire at some point, and they usually get bought out by bigger chains to grab the customer base, and who sell the used gear on eBay.
04-01-2021, 04:45 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have several within 20 miles of me across the river in Portland, but it's nothing like the old days when even small towns had a camera shop.

Steve
04-01-2021, 04:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In 2009 there were 3 camera shops and a local discount department store with a photo department. Now there is 1 shop and the discount department store. Both are more or less hobbies for the owners.

04-01-2021, 04:55 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm one of the lucky few:

although it doesn't carry Pentax, there is a long time operated camera shop in my town

QuoteQuote:
Wolfe's 12,000 square foot photographic store in downtown Topeka, Kansas has been in business for 95+ years. We stock a huge selection of cameras from all the major manufacturers. We specialize in all photo accessories and are a proud supplier of ProMaster products. Wolfe's sells Sony, Panasonic and Canon camcorders and accessories.

Click on our "Photo Design Center" button above and check out our literally hundreds of high quality photographic services. Our long time and experienced laboratory staff produces the highest quality photos, photo books, stretched canvas prints, calendars, photo gifts, etc., etc. in the industry.

Give our staff a call at 800-359-6533 and let us help you choose the item or service just right for you.

Store Hours:
Monday to Friday: 9 AM to 5:30 PM
Saturday: : 9 AM to 2 PM
Sunday: Closed

Closed Major Holidays

Wolfe's Camera Shop
635 S. Kansas Avenue
Topeka, KS 66603
Orders: (800) 359-6533
Inquiries: (785) 235-1386
Fax: (785) 235-2810
Wolfe's Camera Shop | Topeka KS

they don't develop film in house any more though, they send it out
04-01-2021, 06:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Three in my town. One of which doesn't belong to a chain/web store. We also have two Mediamarkt super stores with a lot of cameras.

Last edited by D1N0; 04-01-2021 at 06:12 AM.
04-01-2021, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ottawa has a population of 1 million.

We have several camera stores -- two national chains (Vistek, Henry's) and a couple of smaller, independent shops. I don't think any of them stock Pentax, but they're happy to make special orders on a pre-pay, no-return basis.

- Craig

04-01-2021, 07:49 AM   #8
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In Alberta, for new gear, we have McBain Camera and TheCameraStore 'brick-and-mortar' stores.
There are even a couple McBains in Edmonton alone (where I live) but they are also in Lethbridge and Red Deer.
TheCameraStore is only in Calgary, but I price match them a bunch.

Most impressive - for used gear, the 'Classic Camera Exchange' is also in Edmonton - who doesn't have a website, but there have been a couple YouTube videos made about his store:
04-01-2021, 08:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I live in South West Florida... Primo tourist destination.... if I want to go feel a camera or any gear I literally need to drive to the other side of the state, a couple three hours round trip with $6.50 in tolls. All the locals here go to Best Buy.... I go to B&H

Hang up and DRIVE!
04-01-2021, 09:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of camera stores here in Vancouver as well, though the new Pentax gear actually sitting on a store shelf is pretty minimal. You can get anything from Pentax, but most gear is special order.

We also have lots of places to buy/process film and most camera stores also have a good selection of used gear.

Phil.
04-01-2021, 09:43 AM   #11
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
You can get anything from Pentax, but most gear is special order.
yeh truth - there is minimal Pentax gear to test at McBain as well. But you can get it all special ordered ..
04-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I have 5+ local camera stores within 30 min drive, but none of the carry Pentax anymore. 4-5 years ago all of them sold Pentax gear.
So I have to go online to shop Pentax, but it may be difficult to find someone that has Pentax gear on stock.

Nowadays I mostly buy used Pentax gear, which seems to be easier to find.
04-01-2021, 11:02 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Yah there's a mom and pop camera store within about 20 mins from me.
04-01-2021, 01:51 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky Dog Quote
I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean on an island that is 44 miles long and 30 miles across. We have two digital camera shops, one analog camera shop, and two BestBuy stores. However, no digital Pentax (although I saw a used Kr at a local pawn shop).

The next closest shops are in San Francisco about 2500 miles away. It takes most people about four days to drive there with the new bridge.
04-01-2021, 04:06 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky Dog Quote

My local camera shop closed a couple years ago and I find myself relying on forums such as this for camera advice rather that my local shop keeper.
My searches tell me the closest one to me is 2 hours away. Not in a direction I ever go.

I can't be alone, who else has suddenly found themselves without a local source of info and equipment?
We still have a couple of them in the city I'm in. One isn't much more than a storefront for a minilab, the other is a full service store.