Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2021, 12:41 PM   #1

KX: Save RAW after taking photo

Hi,

My K50 allows me to take photos in JPEG format, but if I like a particular shot, I can also save as RAW after the fact.

Either as it replays the image on the LCD screen for a few seconds, it shows "+/- = RAW", or if you go into "File View": image just taken, it also shows "+/- = RAW" in the corner of the screen.

At which point, if you hit "+/-" key, it will also save a RAW file version of the same photo.

Now, I'm trying to work out if my KX can do / be set up to do the same thing: i.e. save a RAW version of the JPEG shot just taken.

The KX manual seems to say the Green button can be set up to access RAW file format, but I'm already using it for shutter speed pre-set with manual lenses, and I'm not sure if that would be the same thing anyway. It might just allow a short cut to changing the file type for the NEXT shot, not saving the buffer's full image data into RAW before it gets deleted / refilled with the next shot.

Can anyone tell me if the KX can do what the K50 can in relation to saving a RAW version of the photo just taken / after the fact?

Many thanks - DT

04-01-2021, 01:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can set it up that it saves both all the time, go to the file format and choose Raw+.
Manual : http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-50.pdf page 142/143
04-01-2021, 02:26 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not used it, but (cursory look at manual) you can change to Raw before taking a shot by a single press of green button (if you have have set up: change green button function --> raw function button) but apparently not after acquiring image.
Sorry you already saw this, about green button function. I did try taking a jpeg and don't see an option to change to raw, only raw to jpeg.
04-01-2021, 05:19 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flagship models have had the ability to capture as JPEG and save a RAW version on the fly, but the choice must be made while the data are still in buffer (i.e. before another shot is taken or the camera turned off). I don't believe that feature exists on the K-x.

Steve

04-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi

I can confirm that the K-x does not have the feature “Save RAW after taking photo”(…in jpeg format).

Best regards,