Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2021, 09:57 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Hi photogem, I'm following PF for many years already, but this is the first time I see someone mentioning corrosion of the body. It starts on spots where the paint is chipped off I guess.
maybe there as well, but mostly on the inside (backside) and particular at those places, where the front-part, back-part (which LCDS) and particular the bottom-part meet!
I guess 99% of all users never take their cameras apart, and if, more those with a solenoid inside, so K30/50/500 and K-S1/2 and rarely

K70, none of those have a magnesium body.
I am not saying this is a common issue but it happens.
One K5II which was with me for repair was from a person sailing a lot (saltwater), there is was really bad but possibly very normal for such a use.

Last edited by photogem; 04-16-2021 at 01:56 AM.
04-04-2021, 10:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Still getting to know the K-70 but truly loving it. It’s amazing how many features they’ve packed into their low end body. One can almost see why it’s not been upgraded yet. But......if one had a wish list of things they’d want for the K-90 or K-70 MkII, what would it include?

Things off the top of my head:
1. High iso capability of the KP or perhaps even better
2. An extra button so that in using back button focusing you don’t have to give up exposure lock.
3. An aperture solenoid that doesn’t go south (duh).
4. Regain the ability for the on camera flash to control off camera flash without contributing to the exposure.
5. Touch screen?
6. Battery grip?
7. I guess one could always hope for better/faster AF.

Some of those might be a stretch and put the low end body too close to capabilities of the higher end bodies though.
04-04-2021, 10:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-70 is already usable at ISO6400, but yes, a smidge of an upgrade to match the KP would be good. New solenoid is a must have. Touchscreen is probably a given in whatever comes along to succeed the K-70 or KP. I think they could move from SAFOX X (the K-5IIs AF system that the K-70 inherited) to a newer AF system without going all the way up to the latest and greatest.
04-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Metal body is not that easy: I have come across several K5/K3's now (Magnesium Body) where the magnesium started to "blossom".
Now that is something new. I have seen examples of corrosion on cameras that have suffered salt water intrusion where all aluminum and magnesium alloy parts showed examples of corrosion, but not on bodies that have not been compromised. Since your statement has potential to become "Internet Truth" regarding both models, would it be asking too much for examples in the form of photos and detailed description of whether the camera had been compromised?

Lens Rentals | Blog: Teardown of a Salty Sony A7sII

Steve

04-05-2021, 05:17 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Ricoh should do something new and surprising for the successor of the K-70.

1. Make a new body and bring out three versions of cameras based on that: a Standard version, a Plain version, and a Monochrome version. Use the same components for all three versions, but design the body in such a way that various button configurations are possible, and make three versions of the firmware.

1.1 The functions of the Standard version are largely similar to what we have now. Prevent feature creep on this model and keep it simple on the outside. If people want an advanced camera they should buy the K3-III.

1.2 The Plain version is a minimalistic camera with an absolute minimum of buttons and controls. It should attract users with an eye for design and classic film camera users.

1.3 The Monochrome version is a Standard camera but with a monochrome sensor. Adjust the price upwards to keep it profitable.

2. Redesign the body to make it more ergonomic, with more room on the left side to hold the camera, a beveled bottom plate on the left side, and an increased overall height for the grip. Also shorten the pentaprism cover on the front similar to the K3-III for a sturdy look.

3. Do an upgrade quality wise and give this camera a metal body with weather seals. This would also legitimize asking a higher price.

4. Change the teasing policy. Just leak that Pentax is working on a K-70 successor and announce it 4 weeks before production. Nothing else.

Instead of producing another boring cheap camera I think this would be a fun project for the Pentax team they can throw their talent at and additionally an exiting challenge with the monochrome version.
The K3mkiii is three years late as it is, that's a 9 year plan under the current management.
04-05-2021, 09:52 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Now that is something new. I have seen examples of corrosion on cameras that have suffered salt water intrusion where all aluminum and magnesium alloy parts showed examples of corrosion, but not on bodies that have not been compromised. Since your statement has potential to become "Internet Truth" regarding both models, would it be asking too much for examples in the form of photos and detailed description of whether the camera had been compromised?

Lens Rentals | Blog: Teardown of a Salty Sony A7sII

Steve
No photos available, but I will check later in my spare-parts storage room if there is a sample of the K5 bottom-part. Could be.

One K5II was used by a person sailing, it never got really wet but on a boat exposure to salt is quite high. But all screws were rusty as well.

One K5 was just used close to the sea, one K3 as well.

One K5 obviously had water intrusion.

The person with the K5II uses as well a K30. This one as well had all screws rusty but no corrosion inside at all.

I think the tiny gap before the WR seal comes into action can over the time collect tiny salty particles.

My own bodies never showed such a problem but I am maybe 7-14 days/year at the sea and recently only the baltic sea which is not that salty.
04-16-2021, 01:55 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fotos K5 normal condition but some corrosion

Here some photos.
A K5, normal condition, not misused, no waterintrusion (that looks very different!).
Main corrosion as I have seen it sometimes also on the K3 is on the bottom part.
Second on the front-cover.
Hardly on the top or back.
Shuttercount is low on this one, just 5042!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo   

Last edited by photogem; 04-16-2021 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Shuttercount added