Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 246 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2021, 03:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Probably next year. I shoot youth sports (lacrosse and swimming) so I can justify it with the improved AF. I already have a k3 and kp (as well as a k100d) so the need is not pressing

04-02-2021, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, now that’s it confirmed that it will take GPS references from smartphones.
04-02-2021, 04:19 AM   #33

Photos: Albums
Probably not, my K1 mkII is less than 2 years old and my K3 is still a great camera. That said you never know, maybe only if my K3 decides to pack it in.
04-02-2021, 04:27 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I decided 6 months ago that it would probably be more than my budget and bought the KP. No regrets there but I do hope it does well and I'm looking forward to seeing the first pics and reading the reviews on PF.
Same here. I would have gone for a k3iii had it been out when I bought my KP about 6 months ago. I am sure it will be very successful (especially now the KP has been discontinued).

04-02-2021, 04:55 AM   #35

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Considering it, just wish it had a flip screen at the back. Makes low level shots easier on my back. Also waiting to confirm it has an electronic shutter option. Then will move up consideration a notch or two...
Yes I have found the flip screen handy on my compact camera and was hoping there would be one on the K3 III
04-02-2021, 05:10 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In theory, using the Image Sync app via the WiFi which will show the Live View on your smartphone should make up for the lack of flippy screen.
04-02-2021, 05:15 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I will not. I will just keep it in my dreams

If I had spare money, yes I would. I have a K3ii and I do not think the extra on k3iii is really worth 2000$.

I do like the continuous speed..... 12fps..... wow.

Is the higher ISO something that will be useable ? Seems unrealistic to me. Are there any samples of pics at ISO 1.6m ?

I never put much importance into the tilt screen until I got the K1ii. Now, for me, tilt screen is a MUST.

Gary

04-02-2021, 05:29 AM   #38
Imp
Pentaxian

I'm a late adopter, got the K-30 when the K-50 came out, got the K-3 4 years after it was released, just got a KP this year (4 years after release). So I expect I'll get a K-3 III in four or five years! For how I get cameras, it's like I can see the future of what cameras will be available in five years plenty of time to think through my options
04-02-2021, 05:46 AM   #39
Pentaxian

In four months I've bought both the GR-III and KP. And yes, I'll buy the K-3III very soon.
04-02-2021, 05:58 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, definitely. Whether I buy immediately or wait a few months is my only decision that remains. Would love to pick it up in a "kit" with the upcoming new DA*16-50 PLM as that has great appeal to me. And making one large purchase is easier to "float" past the better half than two.
04-02-2021, 06:12 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I currently have a K50, K3 and K1 that I'm not skilled enough to do justice. So no.
04-02-2021, 06:23 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Yes, now that’s it confirmed that it will take GPS references from smartphones.
Link to source...?

May I ask why would you ever do this? Why give the surveillance-state business modelers (Apple, Google, CCP, etc) a clue as to your photog movements/location unless you wish to solicit targeted ads for hiking boots, sun hats, bear/bug spray, a nearby pub visit, etc., or give some clueless and deranged vandal the location of a rare bird habitat?

The K-3-3 Manual (pp121, EN) says it's compatible with the Pentax O-GPS1 add-on module. While NOT as elegant as built-in GPS, it works for me. Plus, it shows some respect for my subjects by helping to protect them from snooping busybodies.

My 2 cents... M
04-02-2021, 06:27 AM - 3 Likes   #43
Veteran Member

I could certainly see myself getting it... in six years time on the used market
04-02-2021, 06:28 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Considering it, just wish it had a flip screen at the back. Makes low level shots easier on my back. Also waiting to confirm it has an electronic shutter option. Then will move up consideration a notch or two...
I’d much rather use a Platypod to support the camera for low shots and then use my phone for live view/camera control than have the flippy screen. No electronic shutter in initial release, but Wakashiro-san said in one of the CP+ videos that he would like to bring that in a firmware upgrade. (And I expect they will have lots of opportunities for that, since they can feed the machine learning AF algorithms more data sets over time, so they will be wanting to give us updated AF.)

QuoteOriginally posted by Robot camera Quote
When I can get the money together, and if it lives up to expectations (which seems likely) then yes. I do take a few available light candid photos so I want to see what it's like at ISO 9000 or even higher, compared to my K3 at ISO 9000.
Kerrick James has said that ISO 12,800 on the K-3 iii is like ISO 3200 on the K-1 ii. He’s going to use his K-3 iii for his astrophotography shots instead of his full frame, at least until there’s a K-1 iii.

QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
Is the higher ISO something that will be useable ? Seems unrealistic to me. Are there any samples of pics at ISO 1.6m ?
I don’t look at the top ISO so much as the number of stops below the top ISO where you have usable images. That tends to be a fairly consistent gap with Pentax. What we’re seeing is (as mentioned above) discussion of 12,800 being as usable here as 3200 is on the K-1 ii. A couple of ambassadors have said they have shot at 51,200 with this camera and have found the images perfectly usable.

I’ll be preordering the K-3 iii as an upgrade from my K-70 as soon as someone in the US starts taking preorders.

---------- Post added 04-02-21 at 08:30 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Link to source...?
It’s in the Wireless Communication Guide.
04-02-2021, 06:47 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I would love a K3 III but can't justify the high price as my original K-3 is still working 100% and producing great shots. Maybe in a few years my needs will have changed but by then the market will also have changed and the K3 III may not be the best option.