Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 246 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2021, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
@michaelina2: page 36 of the manual, in setup menu 4, ‘smartphone link’, ‘store location information’.
Thanks... (I knew that already)

What real world evidence is available to show this actually works in any way that make its use convenient? Unfortunately, experience with "Image Sync" does NOT give me much confidence. How about you?

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Michaelina2; and to answer your question: you already do that every time you use a search engine for anything (with the possible exception of DDG). Are you really that worried about it? I’m not.
I do? Are you some kind of mind reader?

What do you know about my search habits that I do NOT know?

When the O-GPS1 device is available, NOT using a smartphone link for real time location data is simply being polite to innocent subjects of interest. What's wrong about showing some respect for their privacy?

Just curious... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 04-02-2021 at 09:15 AM.
04-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just provided you with information that apparently you already had! So I’m out.
04-02-2021, 09:19 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Thanks... (I knew that already)

What real world evidence is available to show this actually works in any way that make its use convenient? Unfortunately, experience with "Image Sync" does NOT give me much confidence. How about you?
Folks who have the GR iii say that it works well, and it appears to be the same interface. The manuals definitely indicate it’s a “set it and forget it” sort of thing. We will have to wait for folks to get the cameras with final firmware in their hands to really test it though.
04-02-2021, 09:31 AM - 3 Likes   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely buying one as soon as pre-ordering is available at B&H. I even got the Boss Lady's approval. Looking forward to all the new features especially the much improved tracking. My 75th birthday is coming soon so this will be my early birthday gift and this will probably be my last camera purchase. My trusty K-3 and K-50 have both served me well since 2013 and I have resisted buying a K-1/K-1II.

04-02-2021, 09:32 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Do you plan on buying the new Flagship K-3?
I think this is a world class camera but not for me because I do not do much with the APSc format for my photography. I do however use APSc for video which is why I got into the Fuji X system. I wish they had come up with this earlier. This would have provided the video capability I needed and eliminated the additional cost of adding another camera system. I will be very interested in the next K1 which will give me the added resolution I can use for my commercial and landscape work.

If I have a windfall, I will get this camera in a heartbeat and not for the camera alone but to pair it with the 20-40 Limited which I have been wanting ever since it came out.
04-02-2021, 09:44 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I'll buy it. I will wait a bit for some real-world feedback but not for the price drop. Right now, it looks like the camera I want.
04-02-2021, 09:53 AM   #67

Photos: Albums
Eventually, probably, once it can be had for around $1500.US.

04-02-2021, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #68
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I think i will wait a bit. Not in a rush to replace my K3 which still is outperforms my skill set. Also waiting for price to come down.
04-02-2021, 10:02 AM - 2 Likes   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not very likely. The camera is simply not designed for me. I am primarily a landscape and product photographer so most of the wonderful features of this camera would be wasted on me. Despite that I probably would have upgraded my K-3II at some point but without GPS and astrotracer (features I use quite often) I am just not interested.

- fast auto focus? K-3II is more than fast enough
- 12fps frame rate? 1 frame per minute is about all I need
- Eye AF? Huh? What for? I don't shoot people
- 1600000 ISO? Seriously? I usually shoot at 100 and might (if I feel daring) go to 400
- Tracking AF? Nothing I shoot moves
- 4k video? I don't shoot any video
- 5.5EV stabilization? I shoot on a tripod

I am super excited for those of you that can use the features of this camera. I think Pentax is making a real statement with this body and it looks like they have done a super job.
04-02-2021, 10:03 AM - 2 Likes   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcel K Quote
I think i will wait a bit. Not in a rush to replace my K3 which still is outperforms my skill set. Also waiting for price to come down.
If we all waited until our skill set outperformed our camera many of us would never be able to justify an upgrade
04-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No. I think it looks like a great camera, but I bought a KP last year that is probably more camera than I need. Also, I use the flippy uppy screen all the time now for macro work with a tripod. A K3-iii-2 with that type of screen might be tempting in the future.
04-02-2021, 10:06 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not usually an early adopter, but I will be ordering it as soon as it is available through an online retailer in the US. I foresee my 150-450mm pretty much permanently mounted to the K3-III.
04-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To be honest, fence sitting. Initially, thought "no" as I still love my K-5iis in the APS-C range and with the addition of the K-1 thought the bases were more than covered. After reading reports, I am teetering a bit, many of the sentiments expressed here are shared. I guess perhaps the biggest hurdle will be to consider ending my relationship with the K-5iis or keeping it in the "fleet" for nostalgia. A minor local concern, it seems that the Pentax name has virtually disappeared from the traditional retailers even down to the point, see no notation for "pre-order". We've just went through a period where it seems people were "fire saling" their Pentax inventory and I now believe most will not stock and (given some previous experience) reluctantly bring in the product as a "special order" wit a substantial if not total pre-payment. So, the most likely "tipper" for me will be the ability to handle and inspect the device...there are a couple of stores that have and continue to support Pentax and they will get my business (interpretation -- "road trip"). The introductory offer from Pentax is also attractive, with the grip, extra battery and strap...hopefully a similar offering will be made locally once these folks update their inventory offering.
04-02-2021, 10:27 AM   #74
Pentaxian

If all goes well, I'll be buying it sometime near the end of the year. I also want that DA* 16-50mm PLM lens.
04-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
without GPS and astrotracer (features I use quite often) I am just not interested.
I’m just quoting this part to correct the misconception that the K-3 iii doesn’t have astrotracer. It does, but you need the hot shoe-mounted O-GPS1 device. Also, it can pull geotagging information from a paired phone so that you can get geotagging data without needing the O-GPS1 mounted. The high ISO performance of the K-3 iii compared to the K-1 ii has caused ambassador Kerrick James to say he will be using the K-3 iii for his astrophotography shots instead of his K-1 ii, at least until there’s a new FF with sensor and high ISO enhancements to match the K-3 iii. That said, it sounds like you’re the sort of photographer that Pentax wants to sell K-1 series cameras to, and that’s great! For those of us who shoot travel or moving subjects, this camera is very much what we’ve been craving.