Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2021, 07:32 PM   #106

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
As long as you can disable it via Menu!
My nose is not compatible with the touch screen and I am left-eyed while taking photos.
My Premium Black should arrive ~ end of APR so we will see......
Life's just not fair sometimes. Australia got to put 2020 in the rearview mirror before we could, and now you're also able to pre-order before we can.

04-02-2021, 08:21 PM   #107
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
When the price drops to $1600, I might buy it. In fact, that's my only beef. It has everything I have wanted in a Pentax. But the price is brutal.
04-02-2021, 11:58 PM   #108
Veteran Member

My K3ii just keeps on delivering.

So a NO at this stage of the game.

Maybe in 6 years time 😎
04-03-2021, 12:30 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always ask myself "what's in it for me?". Compared to the KP, nothing really strikes me. I can imagine people will absolutely flock to the K-3 III as it seems a beast of a camera but the differences with my KP are not significant enough for a switch, at least not for my style of shooting. YMMV of course.

Here's the side-by-side of the two:

Side by Side Comparison Pentax K-3 Mark III vs. Pentax KP: Digital Photography Review

04-03-2021, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
Australia got to put 2020 in the rearview mirror before we could
Sorry for doing a "veering-off-topic" - but - 2020 lockdown in Melbourne was horrid, it was not an easy time, a lot of us are still recovering emotionally and/or financially. (and we are all giving thanks for the results) -

OK, back to the topic
04-03-2021, 01:24 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Undecided. I'm fine with the K1 and K1 MkII. In the next coming years, I don't know if I'll consolidate my K1 system (via a set of premium prime lenses, D-FA*50, D-FA*85 and a D-FA*35 when available), or sell my K1 system and buy this Pentax K3 III + new apsc lenses, and a whole new medium format system. For the time being I'll wait to see how systems evolve, especially choice of lenses. I'll wait so that I can make a good "system" choice, rather than buying a camera model without considering lenses, or buying lenses without considering camera tech. Most likely in the future I'll go for two systems: apsc and medium format, because I found that full frame is a bit of a tradeoff between speed and resolution, neither excellent in both areas. If Ricoh comes up with an upgraded 645z with 100Mp, I might go for a K3 III and that upgraded 645z systems, or just go Fujifilm dual system. Or if Ricoh delivers a significant K1 upgrade (with 61Mpixel sensor, + roll out more premium prime lenses) I may just stick with Pentax full frame. We'll see.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-03-2021 at 01:36 AM.
04-03-2021, 02:51 AM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Thanks... (I knew that already)

What real world evidence is available to show this actually works in any way that make its use convenient? Unfortunately, experience with "Image Sync" does NOT give me much confidence. How about you?

I do? Are you some kind of mind reader?

What do you know about my search habits that I do NOT know?

When the O-GPS1 device is available, NOT using a smartphone link for real time location data is simply being polite to innocent subjects of interest. What's wrong about showing some respect for their privacy?

Just curious... M
I have always thought the GPS data was more for personal use and easily stripped out of the exif in applications like Lightroom. At least that has been my practice.

Last edited by Rondec; 04-03-2021 at 04:32 AM.
04-03-2021, 03:25 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to be undecisive now I am not so sure!..... I really like it and price is not so much an issue as currently nothing much else to get excited about...

However I would like to hear real life reviews in particular with older DA* lenses I have a nice set 16-50, 50-135 and 300. If it will 'play nice' with them it will be a no brainer!
04-03-2021, 04:30 AM - 3 Likes   #114
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great replies to my post so far. Please keep them coming.

I have seen alot of concern on the price. Thats natural and coming after a year of a brutal pandemic that has hurt many people financially as well as healthwise. It truly has been a hard year.. Thats actually one reason why I am getting this camera. I spent a year of my life doing very little of what I wanted to be doing... lol.. so now I am doing it and making up for lost time.. Even if its not a sound financial move.

I also took a long hard look at how long I keep my cameras.. Im still using my k10d and k20Ds.. still use my k3s after years and years.. pentax build quality makes it a good gamble that the gear we buy potentially can be with us for years. Looking at like that and I was able to rationalize the purchase as a Long Term Investment in my photography. Keyword here is Rationalize.

Finally I doubt I will ever adopt mirrorless cameras. I will most likely die a dslr nut... for me the camera is part of the photograph...not just a means to get the image. I LIKE using dslrs.. I have no clue if the other brands are truly totally abandoning dslrs..nor if Pentax will be able to survive the exodus to mirrorless and shrinking new customer base. For alls I know this k3 new could be the last dslr made. I honestly think all that depends on how the k3 mark 3 does saleswise. If thats the case.. Im getting mine now.

So yep.. I have made up alot of justifications to myself...but ultimately.. it comes down to my feeling that for my main photography..wildlife, nature and birds... This camera just makes a whole lot of sense to buy.

Im really looking forward to it.
Al
04-03-2021, 04:57 AM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
My use case for the K3 mk iii would be wildlife. If I can get a significant boost in detail over my K1ii with the DFA 150-450 or with the FA* 300, then I will almost certainly get one, but not until the price comes down (maybe 2022).

Actually, I'd be interested in what you all think on my use case and the potential benefit. One of my favorite subjects is birds, but also bigger/slower stuff too, like moose and bears LOL.

~ Jon
I’m in the same position. For me, I would want similar or better high iso performance that my K1 MKII, because for me shooting wildlife also entails shooting in poor light conditions where high iso is always a consideration.

I currently use the K5 and K1MKII but still have my K10, K7, and *istD in the background
04-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Finally I doubt I will ever adopt mirrorless cameras. I will most likely die a dslr nut... for me the camera is part of the photograph...not just a means to get the image. I LIKE using dslrs.. I have no clue if the other brands are truly totally abandoning dslrs..nor if Pentax will be able to survive the exodus to mirrorless and shrinking new customer base. For alls I know this k3 new could be the last dslr made. I honestly think all that depends on how the k3 mark 3 does saleswise. If thats the case.. Im getting mine now.
Al
If the other two brands stops making DSLR's, something I seriously doubt, Pentax customer base would increase manyfold.....
04-03-2021, 07:05 AM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
If the other two brands stops making DSLR's, something I seriously doubt, Pentax customer base would increase manyfold.....
Well, I also doubt it....but I think they may just continue with their highest end models. I believe the entry level and mid range may transition over entirely to MILC.
04-03-2021, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have always thought the GPS data was more for personal use and easily stripped out of the exif in applications like Lightroom. At least that has been my practice.
You are aware that your cell phone is interactive and every cell phone keystroke you make is recorded in real time by your cell phone provider? Plus, every word, sentence and cell tower location ping is analyzed by an AI algorithm, then packaged by your provider, or Google, Facebook, Apple, et al. and sold to someone else so they can target market you. Linking your cell phone to your camera gives those busybodies a real time window into your and your subject’s lifestyle.

O-GPS1 provides GPS input that does NOT require interaction; that is, it geolocates you by listening for pings from satellites. It does NOT tell the satellite anything. As such, you stay in control of things.

If you value your privacy and the privacy of your innocent subjects, why would you ever link your cell phone to your camera?

Just askin’... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 04-03-2021 at 07:24 AM.
04-03-2021, 07:13 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
But wait, Richard Butler's crystal ball tells him that the end is nigh: In the K-3 III initial review he writes "Maybe we've not yet seen the last great DSLR, after all.".

So lock your doors, hide your lenses, and guard your DSLRs. It's all going to be over!
04-03-2021, 09:19 AM - 2 Likes   #120

Already pre-ordered from SRS Microsystems. My 8 year old K5ii developed a fault last summer in that my DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135 stopped working with it (or more specifically the camera stopped working when either of those lenses was attached). It wasn't the lenses themselves, in that they continue to work fine with my son's K5, nor is it the camera in most respects, in that I had retained the DA 18-55 kit lens and the camera is fine with that. Not was it the SDM contact, which I had cleaned thoroughly, so it seems it is something deeper in the camera's electronics. Repairers didn't want to touch it, so I concluded that the time had come to replace. I did consider a KP, but didn't like the handling, but was pleased to see from the initial teasers that the K3 iii looked as if it should feel right for me. A bit pricier than I was expecting, but it was my 60th birthday last October (I would have had it then if it hadn't been delayed!) and I am about to retire, so the timing is right, and I whilst I could have waited until the first price drop, who knows when that would be, and in any case I've already missed one summer with the above two lenses. And I intend to keep it long term, so any initial premium will be spread over its lifetime (I like to think!). Excited by the prospect.