Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 246 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
You are aware that your cell phone is interactive and every cell phone keystroke you make is recorded in real time by your cell phone provider? Plus, every word, sentence and cell tower location ping is analyzed by an AI algorithm, then packaged by your provider, or Google, Facebook, Apple, et al. and sold to someone else so they can target market you. Linking your cell phone to your camera gives those busybodies a real time window into your and your subject’s lifestyle.

O-GPS1 provides GPS input that does NOT require interaction; that is, it geolocates you by listening for pings from satellites. It does NOT tell the satellite anything. As such, you stay in control of things.

If you value your privacy and the privacy of your innocent subjects, why would you ever link your cell phone to your camera?

Just askin’... M
If they already have all of the information about you from your cell phone why would you miss out on geotagging your camera's photos for fear of giving them a bit more information? If you're that terrified of targeted ads I would think you'd not have a smartphone at all.

---------- Post added 04-03-21 at 02:55 PM ----------

As for the original question, yes I plan on being an early adopter of the K-3 Mark III. As I've mentioned many times both of my teenage boys play soccer and I'm very much looking forward to the improved autofocus and high ISO performance of the new camera.

04-03-2021, 02:14 PM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
If they already have all of the information about you from your cell phone why would you miss out on geotagging your camera's photos for fear of giving them a bit more information? If you're that terrified of targeted ads I would think you'd not have a smartphone at all.

---------- Post added 04-03-21 at 02:55 PM ----------

As for the original question, yes I plan on being an early adopter of the K-3 Mark III. As I've mentioned many times both of my teenage boys play soccer and I'm very much looking forward to the improved autofocus and high ISO performance of the new camera.
Since I do not support the surveillance state business model, I do NOT own a smartphone.

For years I worked in an industry that required on-call smartphone/beeper access almost 24/7. While handsomely rewarded, I often felt like a rat on a tether.

When I retired, I put all of that creepy stuff away and have not looked back.

I'm glad you are planning to get a K-3-3. Looks like a nice piece of kit.

In my perfect world, I wish it had built-in GPS though I can understand why it was not included. I have lots of experience with the O-GPS option from my old K-5 K-5 IIs days. It's not as elegant a solution as built in, but I can imagine living with it.

Time will tell... Enjoy... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 04-03-2021 at 02:23 PM.
04-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Count me in !! ((when or if the budget allows for it)).
04-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #124
Forum Member

Who needs a K3 III when there is a cheaper full frame K1 II?

04-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by myrdinn Quote
Video, in a word, for me. The K1 and K1mkII's HD output is ok---pretty impossible to tell the difference between it and the 5DmkIV which I use at work----and have had videos displayed virtually side by side with output from the 2 and you'd have to be some kind of super video expert to tell the difference.

Usability, though? Even though I have issues with the Canon's supposedly fantastic AF, which I've always found underwhelming, it's much more usable with its touch screen. We'll see if the K3III's touch screen makes a difference or if it's somehow crippled while filming. This video stuff is for work, not my personal use.
04-03-2021, 04:08 PM   #126
Forum Member

What I mean: the K3 III is really expensive, even more expensive than the full frame K1 II. Is it worth that much money?
04-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #127
Veteran Member

Me (more want then need).... I have access to the cheapest K1 one can get (already have it... ) but still want a K3III for tele stuff...... and maybe some normal stuff where focus tracking could contribute to greater success.... say bride walking down the aisle etc.

---------- Post added 04-04-21 at 08:55 AM ----------

What I mean: the K3 III is really expensive, even more expensive than the full frame K1 II. Is it worth that much money?
That depends on ones circumstances and what one values. In my case.... when confronted with this sort of situation (significant price hike on something I like).... I tend to go through a cool period before ending up coming to terms with things and maybe buying it down the road some time. In this case..... I decided to just do it....

and.... the K1 is such an impossibly good thing.... that it isn't really a fair comparison.... but off course.... if in the market for one or the other.... then I feel sorry for those trying to make that call!

However..... if size of K1 isn't an issue..... and I had $2'000 now..... but still had ok gear to use at the moment.... and I expected to live for a fair while longer..... and money was an issue..... I would wait another 18 months.... save another $1'500 and look forward to the K1 III...... assumimg a frame rate of about half the K3III was likely to be fine.

Last edited by noelpolar; 04-03-2021 at 04:38 PM.
04-03-2021, 04:44 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Because you're interested in the rather long list of features and improvements the K-3iii has the K1 II doesn't?

04-03-2021, 04:52 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Since I do not support the surveillance state business model, I do NOT own a smartphone.

For years I worked in an industry that required on-call smartphone/beeper access almost 24/7. While handsomely rewarded, I often felt like a rat on a tether.

When I retired, I put all of that creepy stuff away and have not looked back.

I'm glad you are planning to get a K-3-3. Looks like a nice piece of kit.

In my perfect world, I wish it had built-in GPS though I can understand why it was not included. I have lots of experience with the O-GPS option from my old K-5 K-5 IIs days. It's not as elegant a solution as built in, but I can imagine living with it.

Time will tell... Enjoy... M
Hi Michael. I think I understand what you mean by the “surveillance state business model”, and I try to avoid anything with Google or Amazon attached to it, because that’s their business model and I have no wish to become part of their product. To each their own, and we all conduct a risk assessment (no matter how superficially) when we embark on these purchases. Nonetheless, I do have a smartphone that I’ve used with my K-3 for wireless tethering, and I do leave GPS data in my K-1 Flickr files (perhaps I shouldn’t) but it wouldn’t take a genius to work out where I’ve travelled, using other means.

I’m not trying to change your mind on the subject. Just having my 1/50th of a dollar.
04-03-2021, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Hi Michael. I think I understand what you mean by the “surveillance state business model”, and I try to avoid anything with Google or Amazon attached to it, because that’s their business model and I have no wish to become part of their product. To each their own, and we all conduct a risk assessment (no matter how superficially) when we embark on these purchases. Nonetheless, I do have a smartphone that I’ve used with my K-3 for wireless tethering, and I do leave GPS data in my K-1 Flickr files (perhaps I shouldn’t) but it wouldn’t take a genius to work out where I’ve travelled, using other means.

I’m not trying to change your mind on the subject. Just having my 1/50th of a dollar.
Rob... Thanks for your comment... I hear you.

As always, its greatly appreciated.

Cheers... M
04-03-2021, 09:04 PM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
With all the pre-release hype, discussions, criticisms and speculations going on (understandably so) I just have a simple question. Do you plan on buying the new Flagship K-3?
I've read through countless posts now on the subject of the new camera trying to get a feel for what people here will do..but its just not easy to sort through it all.

Its just a matter of curiosity for me as my mind was
made up long ago. Please just sound off if will you be buying it or not.. Maybe add a brief reason why or why not but lets not rehash the very the detailed discussions going on in other threads.

I will start.. YES!!! I will be buying it.I've wanted an upgraded k-3 for years and am looking forward to the improved autofocus in particular. .. but actually all the improvements in specs are perfect for what I need and want.
I can not wait to shoot that camera with my DFA 150-450 and every other pentax lens I have. I haven't been this stoked about gear in awhile.

AL
When it gets down to $1500 Yes !
04-03-2021, 09:18 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely not interested, the way the K-3 III has turned out. I am still happy with the performance of my K-5 IIs when I want this style of APS-C camera with its excellently laid-out array of dedicated on-body controls, in a body featuring a built-in flash and long-lasting battery, yet is around 3 oz. lighter than the K-3 III. Its battery grip also will take AA lithiums in case I have been careless in keeping my regular batteries charged up.

I am very happy with my two silver KP bodies. I've had them over 2 years, they have what I need in a much more compact, lightweight, and full-featured design, and they perform marvelously. The KP is a quarter pound lighter than the K-3 III, and with additional useful (to me ) features. I bought a K-1 II instead, which for me completes my FF needs, with the very compact KP forming an ideal FF/ APS-C partnership.

---------- Post added 04-03-21 at 09:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Because you're interested in the rather long list of features and improvements the K-3iii has the K1 II doesn't?
Right- but for those who would benefit from those particular improvements. As for me, those improvements would mean little, while I would be giving up what I find useful. I rarely do burst shooting, so I don't need 12 fps. AF performance has been fine with what I have, even for shooting fast action, I almost never have use for video. It is for those who do have such interests, the enhancements of the K-3 III are targeted, and for those who have long had and liked their K-3 II combined with fine APS-C lenses, being now eager for performance-upgrading in a body of similar design.

As for the K-1 II, it is not geared for the likes of burst shooting of high-speed subjects, (though it gave a good account of itself in one comparison test against Nikon and Canon counterparts in shooting a fast-moving dirt bike), the kind of thing the K-3 III is targeted for, nor should it be. For extensive use of this kind, the smaller files of an advanced, high-performing APS-C design would be more appropriate for most people, along with the greater reach and lighter weight needed for a lens providing that reach. The K-1 II, OTOH, also has a list of features missing on the K-3 III. Its VF is even bigger, it has the built-in GPS, It has the pull-out angle-screen, and it does what FF can do, like providing the original FOV of FF lenses, which can make a huge difference in their appeal. With the FA 31mm Ltd, for one example, the lens functions in its original form as a very high quality fast-aperture wide angle, the likes of which is not available for APS-C.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-04-2021 at 01:26 PM.
04-04-2021, 03:03 AM - 2 Likes   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you need faster frame rates (the K-1 II tops out at just over 4 fps), better tracking auto focus (the K-1 II is OK, but not great), better video (first Pentax camera with 4K), and better buffer clearing (this is my biggest issue with the K-1 and K-1 II) then this is a better camera for you. In addition, I would say if you are someone who shoots a lot of wildlife, this is probably a better option.

Personally, I will consider it, but I am more likely to wait for the same types of improvements to come to the K-1 III -- knowing that the price of the K-1 III will probably be in the 2500 to 2800 dollar range. The K-1 II is a very good value camera, but it also has some weaknesses that need addressing.
04-05-2021, 08:47 AM   #134

No, at least not at $2000.

Simply can’t justify it, and for a myriad of reasons, I bought a Sony a7III about a year and a half ago, so primarily funds limited, but I feel like to get the most out of the K3 III, I’d want new PLM/DC/SDM lenses to match.

TL;DR: this is the camera I wanted years ago.
04-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
You are exactly the target market for the K-3iii, Jon. APS-C is ideal for this use case. You have the lenses for it. I think that you would gain a lot from the much improved AF for moving subjects and the reported high ISO improvements (even over the KP, which made my K-3 redundant and even over your K-1ii). You might find that a Black Friday deal would be the best price over the next 12 months or so.
After I posted, I thought about how much of a difference AF performance makes with wildlife. I also think that the focus is not only faster, but more accurate on my K1ii vs my K5. Since those two cameras have the same effective resolution (16 MP) in the APS-C area, my K5 is now redundant. My concern is with whether I can actually make use of the increased resolution of the K3iii sensor at focal lengths at/above 300mm (same holds true for previous versions of the K3 too). I am just finding it very hard to get pixel-level detail at FL >300mm, no matter what I do to carefully focus, stabilize, select best aperture, etc. If this is a problem with the resolving power of my glass, then it's not going to do me much good to upgrade to a higher pixel density in APS-C. I think I will have to see if I can rent/borrow a K3 to determine if I can get a noticeable boost in detail over my K1ii with my glass.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I’m in the same position. For me, I would want similar or better high iso performance that my K1 MKII, because for me shooting wildlife also entails shooting in poor light conditions where high iso is always a consideration.

I currently use the K5 and K1MKII but still have my K10, K7, and *istD in the background
My stable also includes the K5 and K1ii. For me, low light performance has already far exceeded my need. I am far more interested in the (probably related) single-shot DR at low ISO. I am always skeptical about how an increase in pixel density will impact DR. I tend to "underexpose" to protect highlights and then pull up the shadows in LR. There is an incredible amount of detail that can be extracted from dark shadow areas on the K5 and K1ii. I don't want to sacrifice the great DR of these cameras.