Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 246 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2021, 01:29 PM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by myrdinn Quote
Who needs a K3 III when there is a cheaper full frame K1 II?
I do? I see no gain in getting FF. I get better AF which is important for shooting fast moving vehicles or birds with K-3 Mk III. All my lenses are DAs so getting K-1 Mk II will not only cost me body, but also replacing all lenses, at this point I could as well change whole system, no difference price wise.

Plus I see not gain in FF over APS-C. I am not printing big, mostly postcard format or A4 max if I feel like it rest goes on phone/tablet screens. Getting big, clunky, heavy and outdated FF from same system is, from my point of view, one of more stupid ways to spend money. I have more to gain from switching to OM-Digital (Olympus) then from getting K-1.

Dunno what the whole affair with who will get APS-C if FF is available is about?

04-05-2021, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #137
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
I do? I see no gain in getting FF. I get better AF which is important for shooting fast moving vehicles or birds with K-3 Mk III. All my lenses are DAs so getting K-1 Mk II will not only cost me body, but also replacing all lenses, at this point I could as well change whole system, no difference price wise.

Plus I see not gain in FF over APS-C. I am not printing big, mostly postcard format or A4 max if I feel like it rest goes on phone/tablet screens. Getting big, clunky, heavy and outdated FF from same system is, from my point of view, one of more stupid ways to spend money. I have more to gain from switching to OM-Digital (Olympus) then from getting K-1.

Dunno what the whole affair with who will get APS-C if FF is available is about?
as noted - it appears that there are advantages of the ASP-C sensor camera bodies offered by Pentax over the full frame sensor camera bodies offered by Pentax

and vice versa

to me it depends on what your photographic goals are at the time.

however please remember that I don't claim any particular photographic expertise, I'm just someone who posts a lot

and my wife has been very nice to me as well
04-05-2021, 02:00 PM   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote

There are a few advantages in some cases, but the main one is the net profit on a FF body or lens is usually quite a bit higher than APS-C. So the manufacturers have heavily pushed this narrative that FF is objectively better. Like auto manufacturers and SUVs.

04-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you get a smartphone without a sim card and clear all personal info etc, then you can install the app and control the camera, some phones have gps that is not dependent on the SIM card. At least that is my understanding.

04-05-2021, 03:45 PM - 3 Likes   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yep. Finally a Pentax dSLR that does at least 1080p/60 and 4K/30...it would have been nice for 4K/60 but that is a dream. A little expensive, sure, but a great field/media camera to use with native Pentax glass. I will be picking one up when they are available.

I so miss having a decent field dSLR...I have been waiting...years.

L.
04-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is great that the video fills your needs, or nearly so!
But I never use my camera, or phone, for video; so it is not at all important to me.

I'm curious though, what would make a "decent field dSLR"? Or what is missing from your current stable of cameras? Or that already answered with the "yep" on the K3iii video comment?
04-05-2021, 04:24 PM - 5 Likes   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
It is great that the video fills your needs, or nearly so!
But I never use my camera, or phone, for video; so it is not at all important to me.

I'm curious though, what would make a "decent field dSLR"? Or what is missing from your current stable of cameras? Or that already answered with the "yep" on the K3iii video comment?
The media landscape (pardon the pun) is both stills and video. As a Multimedia Architect, I do mostly cinema/video. However, by default, I am expected to be an accomplished photographer. It goes with the territory.

Will all my cameras/drones...the one niche that Pentax fills is a camera that is tough enough to survive out in the field. That is, if a little rain or the elements are part of the shoot. None of my Sony cameras (A7S/FS7/FS5) can handle anything remotely inclement weather. My action cameras are, well, action cameras. My drone cameras, are drone cameras.

With the Pentax cameras I have, they represent "field cameras" because they can go anywhere and do pretty much anything.

With my 645z/K1 I had excellent image quality in my field cameras - yet not acceptable video. The K3 III as an APS-C (super 35mm film) allows me to round out location/field shooting when I am mostly there to take stills.

Without video, I was crippled in not taking a Pentax with me.

Now, FINALLY...I can take one camera if most of the work that day is stills.

Lauren

04-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #143
Pentaxian

Yes, I will.
04-05-2021, 05:36 PM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
So the manufacturers have heavily pushed this narrative that FF is objectively better.
It is not a lie, though. For some definition of "better" (e.g., relating to image quality), FF is objectively better.

There are still some reasons why someone may prefer a particular APS-C camera over a particular FF camera, but there is no denying that larger formats have some advantages.
04-05-2021, 06:45 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It is not a lie, though. For some definition of "better" (e.g., relating to image quality), FF is objectively better.

There are still some reasons why someone may prefer a particular APS-C camera over a particular FF camera, but there is no denying that larger formats have some advantages.
Sure, some. But all the time you hear or read comments like "why would I ever have APS-C if I could have full frame?" Well... there's a long list of good reasons why.

04-05-2021, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #146
Pentaxian

Will I buy the K-3III?

Yes.

Whether it is kept will be determined by how well the new OVF works with my eyes, and if the AF performs as advertised.

If it works well for me, all of my non-Pentax gear (except a Fuji X100F) will be sold and I'll be back to Pentax as my main system.
04-06-2021, 03:33 AM - 2 Likes   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

....and disadvantages.....
My recommendation is to stick with smallest format whose output meets your need and standards.....
04-06-2021, 04:29 AM - 4 Likes   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
....and disadvantages.....
My recommendation is to stick with smallest format whose output meets your need and standards.....
I agree, but that is how we're gotten to a point where cell phones have eaten much of the ILC market. Most of us could probably do a large majority of our work with M4/3. Cameras are often spec'd out like cars, where people get the giant 4x4 SUV to commute 14 miles to work alone because it snows twice a year and back in '18 they hauled much of their extended family to that one concert.
04-06-2021, 08:12 AM   #149
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Please ignore this post

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
GAS is hitting hard

I may have a personal solution

try for one of the limited number of the Silver Special Editions K 3 III with the battery grip and leather strap

chances of getting one is small

so leave it up to chance

if I get one, it's kismet
score one for Kismet [ perhaps ]

through Ricoh USA - Home - Ricoh

QuoteQuote:
Order #30797 was placed on April 6, 2021 and is currently Processing.

Thank you. Your order has been received.

ORDER NUMBER:
DATE:
April 6, 2021
TOTAL:
$2,292.10
Order details
Product Total
Pentax K-1 Mark II Silver Edition × 1 $2,099.95
Subtotal: $2,099.95
Shipping: Free shipping
Tax: $192.15

Total: $2,292.10

QuoteQuote:
The camera body and the detachable battery grip feature a high-grade, fine-textured silver coating, with an exclusive silver SR badge placed on the front of the camera body.
The camera’s shutter release button and the hot shoe, as well as the battery grip’s shutter release button, feature black parts, so the camera coordinates perfectly with either black or silver lenses.
Each camera is given a unique serial number from 0000001 to 0001000, to further express the exclusiveness.
Two batteries are included in the product package to simultaneously power both the camera body and the battery grip.
This special camera and its accessories come in an exclusively designed product box.
The camera body comes with the latest firmware version pre-installed.
Note: The camera body’s features and specifications are identical with those of the standard PENTAX K-1 Mark II model, except for the firmware.

In the exclusively designed box you will find:

PENTAX K-1 Mark II Silver Edition camera body
D-BG6 Silver Edition battery grip
Two rechargeable lithium-ion batteries
Battery charger with AC Plug Cord
Pentax Strap
Eyecup
Hotshoe Cover
Body Mount Cap
Software S-SW171
Pentax K-1 Mark II Silver Edition - Ricoh

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-06-2021 at 08:28 AM.
04-06-2021, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #150
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Umm, that's the K-1 ii silver edition, yes? Seems inconsistent with your earlier quoted post.