Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 246 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #211
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
consider spending a little money and renting to get hands on experience

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

I have found LensRental.com from Tennessee to be good folks
Personally, I wouldn't be hopeful that LensRental will have one to rent. I deal with them several times a year, but Pentax is not very well supported there. I would have rented the new D FA85 by now if they ever decided to put a couple on the shelf, but there are apparently no plans to.

04-07-2021, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Personally, I wouldn't be hopeful that LensRental will have one to rent. I deal with them several times a year, but Pentax is not very well supported there. I would have rented the new D FA85 by now if they ever decided to put a couple on the shelf, but there are apparently no plans to.
But aren't they the best/only real option for renting Pentax equipment in the US? Except perhaps a few local shops, of which I have access to none. I've rented multiple times from Lensrentals and they've been very good. Also a couple times from Borrowlenses.com, but they told me they're divesting of Pentax gear and not getting anything new.
04-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #213
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
But aren't they the best/only real option for renting Pentax equipment in the US? Except perhaps a few local shops, of which I have access to none. I've rented multiple times from Lensrentals and they've been very good. Also a couple times from Borrowlenses.com, but they told me they're divesting of Pentax gear and not getting anything new.
That has been my experience

And they are happy to talk to you on the phone based on my experience
04-07-2021, 05:11 PM   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I wonder how a rental scheme based on national distributorships would go. I don’t know of anyone here in Australia who does this for Pentax gear. Given the current low interest rate regime in much of the world, financing costs would be low and there’d always be renters wanting to convert to ownership after a trial period. There’d be setup costs, of course, and insurance premiums involved, not to mention finding a reliable shipping partner, but Ricoh has to find a way to maximise sales of new gear, and getting product into people’s hands is important in this era of online sales.

04-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #215

What knowledge is there about the K3iii and it's Deep Learning Image Recognition Subject Tracking System?
04-07-2021, 10:26 PM   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is the same as deep learning in everything - there is no learning at all. Camera does not have enough computational power to learn anything and there is no constant feed of data to mother company to do learning outside of camera and just get results back over internet.

Unless Ricoh need Deep Learning for other products then most likely it was done by some outside company and Ricoh is getting results it is implementing into camera firmware.
04-08-2021, 05:11 AM   #217
Veteran Member

But it does give them a basis for taking information from further testing about the things that aren't being detected/tracked quite right, feeding that to the deep learning algorithms, and giving us a firmware update to make the AF even better.

04-08-2021, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by niklas Quote
What knowledge is there about the K3iii and it's Deep Learning Image Recognition Subject Tracking System?
"Deep learning" is probably not what you think it means. Nothing is being learned in the actual camera.
Deep Learning (in basic terms) happens on a powerful computer with an AI algorithm (software code).
They feed the system a huge number of images (say it's people's faces) and they "train" the algorithm to recognize the shapes, patterns, color tones of skin etc with all images of someone facing the camera.
Now they do the same with more people images but this time, the people are facing 45 degrees to the left. They then do it again with more people images facing 45 degrees to the right.
Then they start the process all over again but this time, the people are facing 90 degrees so only the side of their face is in the image. They keep doing this until that software code can start to "learn" and recognize that these are what the focus should be nailing and tracking.
Then they'll feed more images but this time, they'll have the software "learn" that it's eyes it should really focus on. Eventually the software will figure out that if the eye can't be recognized, it will fall back to the facial pattern.
Then they'll feed a bunch of animal images and "train" the software to recognize those as points of focus. Then they'll do a bunch of car images, etc etc.
That's really all deep learning is. But once that data is put into the camera via firmware, the camera itself won't learn anything, but it now has the "smarts" to be able to track more efficiently since the firmware has ALL the information that was taught to it regarding what to recognize and what to do when it recognizes the patterns it knows.
04-08-2021, 08:54 PM - 3 Likes   #219
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No

• The Lockdown has changed me
  • I’m a snapshooter and [was a] Gear Collector. I have enough too many toys
If you are an American, plan for the ¥ / $ exchange rate to go against you.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-11-2021 at 05:54 PM.
04-09-2021, 04:02 AM - 2 Likes   #220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have enough too many toys
+1 on that. The lockdown and aging has changed my perspective on life. I have plenty of "toys," I just need to put them to use or sell them so someone else can put them to use.
04-09-2021, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #221
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
+1 on that. The lockdown and aging has changed my perspective on life. I have plenty of "toys," I just need to put them to use or sell them so someone else can put them to use.
Buy one and sell two. The lockdown changed my perspective as well. I'll be cutting back on quantity, but doubling down on quality. Two cameras will be enough for me, a K1 and a K3 III. One K-70 might stick around for a few months just to make sure my son doesn't want it.

Next will be culling the lense collection a bit, but that's a little tougher.
04-09-2021, 06:20 AM   #222
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh USA has now listed the K 3 III for sale through them:

Pentax K-1 Mark II Silver Edition - Ricoh
04-09-2021, 06:28 AM   #223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Ricoh USA has now listed the K 3 III for sale through them:

Pentax K-1 Mark II Silver Edition - Ricoh
So the actual MSRP is $2099.95...
04-09-2021, 06:36 AM   #224
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
sorry bad eyes

that is the K 1 II

Ricoh USA still hasn't listed the K 3 III for sale through them

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-09-2021 at 08:03 AM.
04-09-2021, 07:30 AM   #225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
In my country it is 2045,17 € but with extended warranty - of 3 or 5 years (not Shure wich is actual)