Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #301
Pentaxian

TBH, I might just have bought a K3-III if I could have got it before the end of April, so as to have it when I go to the Shuttleworth airshow on 2nd May, but that wasn't going to happen, given the supply-chain situation - so I'll probably wait until the "price comes down a lot"!

04-16-2021, 03:18 PM   #302
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
TBH, I might just have bought a K3-III if I could have got it before the end of April, so as to have it when I go to the Shuttleworth airshow on 2nd May, but that wasn't going to happen, given the supply-chain situation - so I'll probably wait until the "price comes down a lot"!
I'll be watching for your posts once you do get the K3III, and will be interested in your thoughts on the camera.

I'm hoping to get to some airshows this year if possible, still dealing with some health issues in addition to the lockdown remnants.

Last edited by Pentikonian; 04-16-2021 at 03:28 PM. Reason: clarification
04-16-2021, 03:23 PM   #303
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
I'll be watching for your posts, and will be interested in your thoughts on the camera.

I'm hoping to get to some airshows this year if possible, still dealing with some health issues in addition to the lockdown remnants.
There's a major air show going on just 20 minutes from me all this week, through Sunday. I haven't missed one in years, but with prior unbreakable commitments this year I will
04-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #304
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
There's a major air show going on just 20 minutes from me all this week, through Sunday. I haven't missed one in years, but with prior unbreakable commitments this year I will
I know them feels. Due to prepping for a move, doing the move, health issues making themselves a nuisance, and this dang lockdown stuff... haven't been since 2016.

04-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I suppose if my K-3 stops working, but more than likely I would choose the the K1
04-18-2021, 05:10 AM   #306
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I suppose if my K-3 stops working, but more than likely I would choose the the K1
I did pretty well yesterday with an all-day gig shoot and the K-1. Would I have appreciated having the K3III for the faster bursts for certain on-stage actions, and for the better low-light focus performance when it got into the evening hours? Absolutely.

For me the two camera's will serve two different use cases.
My second yesterday was using a Pany 4/3rds quite successfully so APS-C is no issue at all for action event shoots.
04-18-2021, 07:01 AM   #307

I'm committed to APS-C with my lenses, and switching to FF would be very costly for me. In addition, I take the DSLR a lot on trips, and there the weight of the K-1 with FF lenses rather bothers me ...

Therefore, the K-3 III comes at the right moment and is a very interesting camera. I will definitely keep an eye on it ...

04-18-2021, 08:07 AM   #308
Pentaxian

Doubtful, I'd very likely move up to a used K1/K1II before getting a K3 mark 3, or if a KP successor is announced at some point. I don't shoot action and if I need 4k video I'd get something like a used GH5.
04-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #309

I was evaluating on buying a K3II for sport and action, since buffer of the K1 is not enough when shooting raw. Now I'd love to try the K3III and see how well it works with my Sigma 300 2.8 before buying anything. Do you think the ambassadors who got it will sell in 1 year so I can buy it used xD?
04-18-2021, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #310
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I don't shoot action and if I need 4k video I'd get something like a used GH5.
....plus at least one lens, so you're basically at the K3III price, and a possibly less capable camera...
04-18-2021, 11:32 AM   #311
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
....plus at least one lens, so you're basically at the K3III price, and a possibly less capable camera...
There's no way the K3III comes close to the video features of the GH5. If I'm buying a camera because I need 4k I will not buy a Pentax product.
04-18-2021, 12:09 PM - 2 Likes   #312
Loyal Site Supporter

There's no way the K3III comes close to the video features of the GH5. If I'm buying a camera because I need 4k I will not buy a Pentax product.
Personally, if I was convinced I needed a very worthy video camera I'd go with one that specialized in it.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1401512-REG/blackmagic_design_pocket_...63865800961800

Otherwise the K3 III will serve the very limited video purposes I'd have for one. I like my camera's to do exceptionally well for what I buy them for rather than Swiss Army knives that are ok at a couple of things but masters of none.
04-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #313

Not needed but I'm definitely considering it as an upgrade from my K3. Updated low light and AF would be welcome. We shall see.
04-18-2021, 04:05 PM   #314
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm saying the K3III may be all around a more capable camera, and if you've already got Pentax lenses, then it may be the better way to go if you occasionally need video, now that we have a Pentax camera that has 4K capability. Possibly it won't be any good, we'll see. At this point, I'm not called upon to do enough video to justify purchasing a video-centric camera. But since I have lenses to start with, I could make the K3III work and save the additional lens costs. Not to mention the irritation of having to switch back and forth between two different systems. Been there, done that, not for me. YMMV.

And if you need the very best 4K, then the Panny probably isn't it either. I'd be looking Sony's way....
04-18-2021, 04:06 PM   #315
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Personally, if I was convinced I needed a very worthy video camera I'd go with one that specialized in it.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1401512-REG/blackmagic_design_pocket_...63865800961800

Otherwise the K3 III will serve the very limited video purposes I'd have for one. I like my camera's to do exceptionally well for what I buy them for rather than Swiss Army knives that are ok at a couple of things but masters of none.
This.