Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 246 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2021, 09:28 AM   #391
Pentaxian

On a couple other sites I have seen a few posters that left Pentax years ago (film days) and some non-Pentax peeps asking about the K-3III.

I think this camera has made enough of a splash in the pond to attract some attention.

How many of them make the jump and purchase is still to be seen.

04-27-2021, 04:25 PM   #392
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Regarding the MILC, I suppose if you were born under the sign of the "screen"- that a mini-tv is what you are used to.
Well said, thank you.
04-27-2021, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #393
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
Pentax/Ricoh is is simply pricing themselves out the market for new users and daring those of us with far too much Pentax glass and gear to go elsewhere. Pentax is no longer the price worthy brand that gives you more features for less money. It's now a premium priced brand.
So you want top shelf features and performance at a discount? Sorry, it doesn't work that way any more, if indeed it ever did. The "Pentax" name is no more than a Ricoh trademark today because they tried to be the "good but cheap guys". The market has changed and top quality camera gear is going to get even more expensive because no one is shipping the unit volume they used to. Now that they have delivered a camera that is the equal of anything out there you also want it cheap?
If you want cheap you can get a K-70 for under $600 with a lens for $650.
If you want good then you need to pay the price as you would for any other brand. DFA*85 is competitive with the best out there. So is the DFA*50. So is the K-3III.
04-27-2021, 07:04 PM   #394
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So you want top shelf features and performance at a discount? Sorry, it doesn't work that way any more, if indeed it ever did. The "Pentax" name is no more than a Ricoh trademark today because they tried to be the "good but cheap guys". The market has changed and top quality camera gear is going to get even more expensive because no one is shipping the unit volume they used to. Now that they have delivered a camera that is the equal of anything out there you also want it cheap?
If you want cheap you can get a K-70 for under $600 with a lens for $650.
If you want good then you need to pay the price as you would for any other brand. DFA*85 is competitive with the best out there. So is the DFA*50. So is the K-3III.
I don't think anyone can argue against a price increase with newer technology. A near doubling of the price, though, is another story. When comparing it to predecessors, one has to ask if it's really worth such a huge jump in price.

04-27-2021, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #395
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I don't think anyone can argue against a price increase with newer technology. A near doubling of the price, though, is another story. When comparing it to predecessors, one has to ask if it's really worth such a huge jump in price.
obviously some consumers have answered yes to that question. they have bought the K 3 III and the premium kits

as far as I know no one has firm figures on how many K 3 III Ricoh/Pentax has or will produced other than the 1,000 silver battery grips and 2,000 leather straps, at least 1,000 silver bodies and 1,000 black bodies and 1,000 black battery grips

all we know is that the vendors world wide have a problem of getting product to the consumers

no vendor wants that, they know that the consumer can cancel orders if product isn't produced and if that happens the venders lose

so is it a shipping problem ? a lack of production ? or what ?

I don't think it is a price problem
04-27-2021, 09:06 PM   #396
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I use Raw Therapee and it does not handle dynamic pixel shift images, only "traditional" pixel shift images. As far as I know, no software can handle the hand held pixel shift images that are only supported by the K-1 II cameras.
Gotcha. I thought the RAW files themselves were the same, and the difference was in the camera software and how it combined them to deal with motion.
04-28-2021, 02:24 AM   #397
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gotcha. I thought the RAW files themselves were the same, and the difference was in the camera software and how it combined them to deal with motion.
With traditional pixel shift there is a specific amount of movement that the sensor makes -- 1 pixel in each direction to get the four images. With the dynamic pixel shift it is more like super resolution where it just uses your natural shakiness to generate four images and then stack them to give less noise and more detail. If you want to do that, you are best off just shooting multiple images and then combining them in post -- https://petapixel.com/2015/02/21/a-practical-guide-to-creating-superresoluti...ith-photoshop/ It just skips the minute or so that the K-1 II thinks about your image while it is processing dynamic pixel shift and you can use more than four images too if you want.

04-28-2021, 04:48 AM   #398
Pentaxian

I probably would if I could afford it. I'm currently a K-70 user and am very happy with the spec for the price. The new K3 is a serious upgrade (price-wise), and the draw for me would the snappier burst rate and what appears to be a vastly improved focusing capability. I'll miss the flip screen, but I believe the K3 would be great for sports photography, something I have always enjoyed, especially F1 and motor racing in general.
04-28-2021, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #399
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is more realistic to compare prices against other brands with similar tech levels/features. If you compare package prices from other brands against Pentax then you will be surprised how much less expensive Pentax can be, for a knowledgeable buyer. And may I add that the quality of lenses are generally more superior.
04-28-2021, 08:18 AM   #400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course. Whether it (the K-3III, or any camera in fact) is "worth it" to any one person is a personal decision based on ability, need and desire. And I think "comparing it to its predecessors" is the sticking point. This supposedly is not just another iteration of the K-3 line but a completely new camera. So is it worth it? Not to me, because the improvements are in areas that do not matter to me.
The real test will be how quickly the price goes down or not. Ricoh has done a very good job over the years of managing inventory and price points.
04-28-2021, 09:01 AM - 4 Likes   #401
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Order placed few minutes ago!! No idea when it will be actually shipping and even less idea when it will arrive.
I don't actually need a K3iii as I'm happy with what I can do with original K-3 and K-1, but I want to support a company that make functional cameras.
Renewing camera every 5 years or more is no problem for me as I have never used cameras in their full potential.

Also; as I'm working whole day watching a computer screen I don't want to continue watching a MILC viewfinder screen after that AND I get dizzy and headache by just seeing fast moving subjects on screen (video games), so optical viewfinder is only one I will ever use. So no Sony for me even when their FF camera can be cheaper than a APS-C from Pentax.
05-04-2021, 10:06 AM   #402
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
Order placed few minutes ago!! No idea when it will be actually shipping and even less idea when it will arrive.

I still wait for my preordered at the first day possible
05-04-2021, 02:11 PM - 2 Likes   #403
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
Also; as I'm working whole day watching a computer screen I don't want to continue watching a MILC viewfinder screen after that AND I get dizzy and headache by just seeing fast moving subjects on screen (video games), so optical viewfinder is only one I will ever use. So no Sony for me even when their FF camera can be cheaper than a APS-C from Pentax.
Silly, it is more or less the same for me. I had no problems with Samsung NX1000 in zombie mode, but EVF turns me off.

Aaaand I hope you will get your K-3 Mk III ASAP. It is beautiful piece of engineering. I got mine in the morning
Attached Images

05-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #404
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

A brave soul has left the first review of the K 3 III under the camera review section of the forums

https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-3-iii.html

it is worth a look for anyone considering purchasing the K 3 III
05-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For me, the cost of the K3 mkIII is not 100% out of my budget... but it would have to be 100% of my camera(s) in order to justify it. I have multiple cameras, but I'd have to settle for just a DSLR and sell them all, and I'm too wedded to small cameras.