Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2021, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
Maybe you meant to add "without having to bend over or get down on the ground" to your comment?
There are also the times when raising the camera above one's head is necessary, another reason to have a fully articulated screen.

A feature like this is akin to trying out a newer or better model of a car after making do with a 15 year old base model beater. The older model is reliable adequate to the task, and hasn't failed yet, but when one experiences how some newer feature really make driving the car, or taking a picture more enjoyable, it's hard to imagine not having that feature when one seeks to replace what one owns.

04-05-2021, 07:32 PM - 3 Likes   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by uncled8249 Quote
Hi, I keep looking but can`t find a Pentax SLR, with a rear flip viewfinder
Like many has already said, KP might be a good one but it is recently discontinued. You still can find a like new KP in the market. I might upgrade to KP too. No need to wait for the new K3 any more.

QuoteOriginally posted by uncled8249 Quote
I was disappointed to find that the new KW3 Mk iii doesn`t have one... Ed.
Me too!

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
There are also the times when raising the camera above one's head is necessary, another reason to have a fully articulated screen.
Yes, I face that situation all the time. I can't fully see what I am composting when I have to raise the camera above people or fence while walking. Pointing camera upward from a low angle where the cameras touching or near touch the ground or just 2 weeks ago I try to get a short at the center of a large building from the 3rd floor but there is a big pole column in the center. I have to extended my arm out to the right as far as possible and try not to drop the camera + composing the shot with camera upside down so my finger can touch the shutter button, I had to squeeze myself into a limit space, the fence in front is not thick enough to put a phone on so that I can use the flue card etc. It's very hard, sometime impossible to compost an image without an articulated screen and or flip screen in those circumstances. IMO, those problem are common when shoot in urban street

Another argument I see some time when talk about this issue is calling people asking for such LCD as lazy to bend kneels. I think anyone ever try to get a shot that looks difference than a 100 or 1000 of people been there earlier would know being lazy is an unfair argument.
The Fluecard option and phone options too. It is a kind of works but only if I have time. Anyway it's impractical 9 out of 10 times for actual shooting on the street, at night in particular. On the street, things happen and end fast. We often have to keep moving with the subject and watch out for many things. Car, people many things can running over me if I am not carful on my move. One hand camera, one hand phone on a street is a good way to get hit by a car or get bump by passing by walker and loose both phone and camera. I think composting an image using phone is a fair point but IMHO it is only for doing something when shooter have enough time and hand available such as when on a tripod doing landscape things. The buildings, trees, mountain won't run away anytime soon which I can't see the superior autofocus and many good thing in the new camera being use much on a tripod. I don't even use the autofocus when on a tripod doing cityscape, landscape and the ISO always stay at 100.

I would imaging camera with new fast and accurate autofocus in difficult lighting situation like the K3III is built for real real action shooting like both subject and shooter are in action, when the shooter doesn't have a luxury of time to spend. Too bad, without a common feature like the articulated LCD, it just make the camera a lot harder to justify buying for people who actuary need to use it. I and many people I know do urban street and urban landscape and I think it is a waste of opportunity for Pentax to grab this market. This camera could be a real deal for urban shooter to upgrade to and it full of young people with money to buy.

Anyway Pentax already made a choice, those really need it on APSC body will have to get the KP or one of the entry level body or wait and keep on hopping or just change brand.

One tip which might help for people on a fix LCD like K3: Turn on the Horizontal Correction feature. It help a bit when I have to compost an image without fully see what I am composing. Let the camera help whatever whenever it can.

And one more point, I asked about the LCD to a Pentax's ambassador, he said it hard to have a good touch screen with articulated LCD which I think it makes sense to me. But if it truth, would prefer a K1 style LCD instead of a touch screen and few millimeter of saving space. And he is a landscape shooter. A good one too. Nevertheless, I would love to see Pentax give the action camera to action shooters for the review too.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 04-08-2021 at 10:13 PM.
04-05-2021, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #33
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm in the camp of those who find a tilt or flip screen very useful.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I assume not having the flippy screen makes it more durable.
Didn't stop Pentax putting a tilt screen in the KP and K-1/K-iii - indications are that each is quite durable.
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It was a deliberate decision, made in order to reduce the body thickness to the minimum.
The screen on the KP only sits about 3mm proud of the body. With a reduced APS-C model range, you would think that satisfying a wider range of users would have mattered more.
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I asked about the LCD to a Pentax's ambassador, he said it hard to have a good touch screen with articulated LCD
That's the first time I've heard that explanation. It does seem the most compelling reason.
04-06-2021, 12:42 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy a hot shoe smartphone holder and Xperia Pro (for same price as K-3/3 ) - then you can connect 4K smartphone with your camera using HDMI cable. Xperia Pro has a separate mini hdmi port and an app for connection with camera. I wonder if it will work with Pentax camera, but I think yes.

04-06-2021, 04:28 AM - 3 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is one camera in the Pentax line up that is the best camera on the market for astrophotography.

It has

- fully articulated screen
- night modus for the screen
- astrotracer compability
- excellent IQ at ISO 1.600

Make an educated guess.

There is another one which has been called "astophtographer friendly" by Adam. Make another guess.

A tiltable screen is a huge advantage in astrophotography. As it is in other fields of photography as well. The K-3iii is probably the best Pentax DSLR ever, but I guess there are a lot of people who will not buy it because the lack of an even tiltable screen makes it only the second best. I'am sure the people at Ricoh new that, so it was a choice in exchange for other features, not so obvious. I just hope the choice pays of for Ricoh.

Last edited by Papa_Joe; 04-06-2021 at 05:54 AM.
04-11-2021, 06:00 AM   #36
Pentaxian

We are spoiled... K3iii would be much fatter with an articulated screen, heavier and more expensive. That’s it.
04-11-2021, 06:17 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Much" fatter is quite relative, maybe 5mm ? Cost- nil on a $2k camera, heavier- a few grams.

But yes we are spoiled, but there is no reason not to have a capable, flexible screen. JMHO.

04-11-2021, 05:07 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
"Much" fatter is quite relative, maybe 5mm ? Cost- nil on a $2k camera, heavier- a few grams.

But yes we are spoiled, but there is no reason not to have a capable, flexible screen. JMHO.
I’m sure you know that any addition is never “nil” cost. You might achieve a zero nett cost by eliminating something else, but in this case the addition of something like the K-1’s tiltable mechanism involves a number of components that could be manufactured at marginal cost (I don’t mean, necessarily, “small” by “marginal”, but at no additional overhead because they’re already being made for the K-1ii). I chose the K-1 tiltable screen over the K-P or K-70 screen, because the K-3iii is the top-of-range camera, so you wouldn’t put anything less on it, but that’s just my reading of the market.

There’s also the matter of an additional housing for the screen and the flexible connectors plus weather-sealing. That makes for another ten compoments by my quick count (maybe more) plus assembly. That manufacturing cost would be multiplied of course by the time it gets to the consumer. So, maybe your $2k gets another $100 added to the price. If we were talking about something around the price of the K-3ii, that mightn’t have caused anyone too much difficulty, but when you get to the substantially-higher price of the K-3iii which already has had a considerable amount of negative reaction, it would probably have further alienated potential buyers or media supporters (of which there are diminishing numbers already). Maybe next time. From the looks of things, Ricoh must be reasonably satisfied with the numbers of pre-orders as things stand.
04-11-2021, 08:58 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, we could speculate endlessly on what it might cost, or why Pentax did what they decided to do,

Personally, I think the cost would be minimal-as the screen cost is already in the total parts cost; the metal pieces? Perhaps $20 not $100,-- as you have pointed out, all the bits are in production already.

As to why, it may be as simple as the K3 has never had an articulated screen, so neither does the third issue.
04-11-2021, 09:26 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
From the looks of things, Ricoh must be reasonably satisfied with the numbers of pre-orders as things stand.
How so? I was wondering about the condition of presales, any data or just based on how many people here preordered or declared to?
04-12-2021, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
When you get in your car do you worry about them knowing what music you listen to ?
Mmmm, just what do Aston Martin drivers listen to? I wonder! Ed.
04-12-2021, 01:23 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
How so? I was wondering about the condition of presales, any data or just based on how many people here preordered or declared to?
I was judging from here and from the various Pentax social media declarations. They never release sales data, as far as I know.
04-12-2021, 02:34 AM - 3 Likes   #43
Pentaxian

If Pentax had made the decision to include a movable screen at the design stage of the K-3 III (perhaps one similar to the slim robust metal structure of the KP), as they should have done, then there would have been a very small extra material and assembly cost. It would have added very little to the mass of the body and 5mm or less to the thickness. It could have also been designed inset into the back, to retain the neat and robust form of the camera when closed. Those photographers who have no use for the feature would simply leave it in its home position. But Pentax would have pleased many photographers who have experienced the benefits and opportunities offered, in various different ways, by being able to angle the live view screen. The former group of photographers would be likely to buy the K-3 III even if it had included a movable screen, but it seems a significant number of the latter group are unlikely to buy it because that feature is missing. I think Pentax have made a mistake. Nevertheless, I do hope the K-3 III sells in sufficient numbers to keep the brand going.

Philip

Last edited by MrB1; 04-12-2021 at 04:07 AM.
05-01-2021, 03:29 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Pentaxian

I use my flip screen all the time on my K-70. Couldn't do without it! Shame the new K3III doesn't have one.
05-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really, I don't see the advantage of a flip or articulated rear screen. The best function of it on my K70 is the fact that I can flip it so it doesn't show and I will stop chimping at each photo I take. Starting with a totally manual film SLR, I used the viewfinder to compose, focus and couldn't see the result until I had the film developed and printed. I do not use LV focus. So again, don't see any real advantage for a preview screen, other than to chimp my photos.