Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2021, 08:59 AM   #1

Need Advice from Pentaxians

I currently have an old K-5 II and I am no photography expert, I use my camera sparingly. I have two lens and I'm on the verge of getting the new Pentax HD FA85mm F1.4ED SDM, when I get a new body.

I've been itching for a new body for years and almost brought the K-1 Mark II a couple of years ago. I've decided to wait for the latest and greatest which turned out to be this new K3 Mark III. Turns out I'm not excited about the K3 M III as I thought I would be and would rather wait until they put all this new technology in a K-1 which is bound to happen right, but when?

I don't want to wait years for this to happen as my train of thought is to get the best camera possible in the near future and keep it for very, very long time which is why I'd rather just get a Full Frame.

I know there's other forums and nobody knows, but now that they've built and are releasing the APS, the next focus should be???

So get this K3 M III or be patient in hopes they release a new K1 M III in hopefully a year?

04-05-2021, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You will eventually want to upgrade the apsc anyway, but if you don't like the K3iii; buy the K1ii now!

Then you will have your FF covered while you wait.

After all:
" I'd rather just get a Full Frame."
04-05-2021, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 IIs is a fine body (there are more than one or two of us who regret selling).

1) what's your use case (family photos at Xmas, birthdays, Travel photography [like anyone is doing any of that these days], sports etc)
2) what two lenses do you have?
3) what is your typical output media (sharing on internet, printing books, printing large format wall art etc)

If the K5 IIs is performing and you have money burning a hole in your pocket, you're better off to buy glass (but mind your mount compatibility).
04-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gdub8 Quote

...my train of thought is to get the best camera possible in the near future and keep it for very, very long time ...
I hear that! And I believe that is what the camera industry doesn't want people to do.

A thought. When your K5 was new, did you think you had all you needed in a camera back then? If so, won't that happen again with any new camera you get? One strategy is you could look for a used K-1, use it until the camera you want comes out (which could be years) and sell the K-1 when you get your new camera.

04-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I hear that! And I believe that is what the camera industry doesn't want people to do.

A thought. When your K5 was new, did you think you had all you needed in a camera back then? If so, won't that happen again with any new camera you get? One strategy is you could look for a used K-1, use it until the camera you want comes out (which could be years) and sell the K-1 when you get your new camera.
or even keep it - the value of a trusted backup {which you know how to use} may greatly exceed its street value by then.
04-05-2021, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
K5 IIs is a fine body (there are more than one or two of us who regret selling).

1) what's your use case (family photos at Xmas, birthdays, Travel photography [like anyone is doing any of that these days], sports etc)
2) what two lenses do you have?
3) what is your typical output media (sharing on internet, printing books, printing large format wall art etc)

If the K5 IIs is performing and you have money burning a hole in your pocket, you're better off to buy glass (but mind your mount compatibility).
This!
04-05-2021, 10:15 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've decided to wait for the latest and greatest which turned out to be this new K3 Mark III. Turns out I'm not excited about the K3 M III as I thought I would be and would rather wait until they put all this new technology in a K-1 which is bound to happen right, but when?
- I think the first question you need to ask is what is your current camera not doing that you would like it to do?

- The second thing to ask is whether you really want FF or if APS-C is where you want to be. Neither is "better", just different. Some early reports say the new K-3III is "better" for some metrics than the K-1II.

- The third thing to ask is if you do go FF then will you need all new glass or are your current lenses FF capable.

- And the fourth thing to ask is do I really need the latest and greatest to take the images I want to take. Maybe a used K-3II or a KP would do you just as well and you could use the extra to buy more glass.

- Bottom line: if you have the cash and want the best, right now that is likely the new K-3III. If you want the best FF then that is the K-1II for now. My guess is that there will be a K-1III late in 2022 or early 2023.

04-05-2021, 10:39 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So get this K3 M III or be patient in hopes they release a new K1 M III in hopefully a year?
Do you want FF or APS-C? If unclear, then perhaps best to start with where your points of "friction" or "pain" are with your current kit.

Steve
04-05-2021, 10:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket - grab a new or used KP now while the K3III reviews are compiled and the early adopters try them out. Enjoy using it for a year. Decide on a K1 or K3 in a years time.
04-05-2021, 11:42 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

the op might want to use the forums' comparison tool to compare possible Pentax DSLRs

Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

and read the reviews, the owners reviews and in depth reviews found under " cameras "

there are benefits to use an ASP-C sensor for some types of photography and a full frame sensor for others as the OP can discover by reading the reviews

one other thought

consider renting, it does cost of course but the op will get real hands on experience before deciding
QuoteQuote:
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...ml#post4542890

QuoteQuote:
this discount is good for this year $25.00 off of a rental of $100.00 0r more

code to use:

SBYAD254RMH3

one time use

Lensrentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...#ixzz6rBkBwgtV
04-05-2021, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm on the verge of getting the new Pentax HD FA85mm F1.4ED SDM, when I get a new body
I would be interested to know why it is the lens that is driving you rather than the camera ?

I've been itching for a new body for years
What do you take pictures of that your K5II is poor at ?

my train of thought is to get the best camera possible in the near future and keep it for very, very long time
That is a perfect excuse to never buy a camera....there will always be a better one next year.

My advice is to start using your K5II. A new camera or a new lens will not give you better pictures per se. Experience as a photographer will.
04-05-2021, 12:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I currently have an old K-5 II and I am no photography expert, I use my camera sparingly. I have two lens and I'm on the verge of getting the new Pentax HD FA85mm F1.4ED SDM, when I get a new body.

I've been itching for a new body for years and almost brought the K-1 Mark II a couple of years ago. I've decided to wait for the latest and greatest which turned out to be this new K3 Mark III. Turns out I'm not excited about the K3 M III as I thought I would be and would rather wait until they put all this new technology in a K-1 which is bound to happen right, but when?

I don't want to wait years for this to happen as my train of thought is to get the best camera possible in the near future and keep it for very, very long time which is why I'd rather just get a Full Frame.

I know there's other forums and nobody knows, but now that they've built and are releasing the APS, the next focus should be???

You are right that nobody knows. My guess would be that a new K-1 replacement will come along, also KP and K-70 replacements. That has seemed the way it was done in the past, but these are uncertain times too, so who knows. Pentax has always put advancements in each new camera, no matter the level, so when it does come it will be good. The K-1 II was put out three years before the K-3 III, but the K-1 only followed the K-3 II by a year. Since the K-3 III is pretty much a complete redesign I think the K-1 follow on will be closer to 1 than 3 years, just my guess. Only the Pentax product team knows.
04-05-2021, 12:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Why are you not excited about the new K-3 III? If we know what is wrong in you opinion we might give you a better advice.
04-05-2021, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Why are you not excited about the new K-3 III? If we know what is wrong in you opinion we might give you a better advice.
My thought too. There must be something about it that doesn't measure up to your desires. Can you put your finger on what it is? Maybe make a list of what your photography goals are, then consider what 'tools' you need to achieve them. I've been guilty of the 'Ready-Fire-Aim' mentality.

I love my K-5IIs and still use it, but decided I wanted more megapixels for cropping possibilities and higher ISO with low noise. I got a KP and have been very pleased with it. I love new gear as much as the next guy, and yes there are some lenses I would like to have. But a couple years ago I faced the fact that what I most needed to upgrade was ME. My K-5IIs has its limitations, but can take gorgeous pictures when my brain steers it in the right direction. One of my best photography investments was in Bryan Petersons book 'Understanding Composition'. It opened my eyes to how limited my image imagining skills were. I'm a musician as well as a photographer, and I've seen top guitar players play cheap guitars and make them sound great. So it's the artist, not the gear, that makes the biggest difference.
04-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The K-1 II has 36 mp in its sensor. I have one and it is amazing. It also has Astrotracer (for pictures of the stars). Obviously the Pentax K-3 III APS-C model is also an amazing product. In reference to waiting for the next full frame model, it is up to you, but if you do not want to wait, the K-1 II is a highly developed product and delivers excellent performance in all aspects. Of course it all depends on whether you are interested in shooting APS-C or full frame. The APS-C will give you more of a distanced looking shot than the full frame. I have my Pentax K-1 II on my Pentax 70-200 lens for people and flower/plant shots among other things, and my Pentax K-3 II on my Pentax 16-85 lens for people shots, landscape, and other. My K-5 IIs is on my Sigma 150-500 DG OS for Pentax for mostly distanced wildlife.

Good luck with your decision.