Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #1

k20d experts....

I just got the k20d camera. I had the ist ds and it has worked wonderfully for me, but I've run into too many incidences where I needed a higher ISO and thought I could use the less noise on the k20d. So far I don't see that it's the much improved. However, I read a review on Amazon I think, might have been B&H, but the guy was saying if you change out of the factory settings, you can make your image almost clear at 1600. Anyone done that or know what he's talking about? Wish I could have found a way to contact him. What all do I need to know to take the best pics on this camera? What things do I need to change and when i do the custom thing, does that save for all my pictures or just in the user mode? Thanks.
Michelle

11-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your istDs was 6mpix. The K10D was one stop worse in performance. The K20D switch to CMOS got that stop back. That's IMHO of course ;-)

What the K20D gives you is better cropping ability...
11-21-2008, 02:52 AM   #3
Inactive Account

The factory setting to change is Menu|Setup|18.High-ISO Noise Reduction|2 Weakest|

Try that and see if it helps.
Ray
11-21-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Your istDs was 6mpix. The K10D was one stop worse in performance. The K20D switch to CMOS got that stop back. That's IMHO of course ;-)

What the K20D gives you is better cropping ability...
My experience with the K20D and K100DS with noise reduction turned off, is that the K20D is about 2/3 stop better in noise performance. The K100DS and the *ist should be about equal.

Paparay has it right. The default noise reduction setting on the K20D is "Off", so if the OP doesn't want to deal with noise in post-processing, she should add some high-ISO noise reduction. I chose the "Weak" setting as the best compromise between detail and noise.

11-21-2008, 09:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you! So is this upgrade worth it? I don't care about bells and whistles, just IQ. I want better quality in low light and options to print larger. Also, when you say 2/3 stops better, what do you mean?
11-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mchud Quote
Thank you! So is this upgrade worth it? I don't care about bells and whistles, just IQ. I want better quality in low light and options to print larger. Also, when you say 2/3 stops better, what do you mean?
By "2/3 stop better", I mean the noise level of the K20D at ISO 2500 equals the noise level of the K100DS at ISO 1600. The K20D will give you better quality at high ISO because of the CMOS sensor, but IMO the Shake Reduction feature is even more important for low light shooting.

Obviously the ability to crop harder and print larger is there with the K20D, but I think you'll find the bells & whistles are a nice to have. The dust control really works, and faster handling without menu diving is a significant improvement. Regarding IQ, I don't think there's much to choose in good light unless you are cropping or printing large sizes. The rendering is slightly different, but both cameras have great IQ.
11-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll say that my experience seems to confirm what Dan has measured. My K100D ISO1600 shots seem to equal shots that I've taken at ISO2000 or ISO 2500 with the K20D. I have High ISO noise reduction set at "Weak". In my experience, the high ISO capability of the K20D is the best I've seen from Pentax, and plenty for my needs.