Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K10D price vs. K20D?

I was recently looking at the prices of the K10D (body only) vs. the price of the K20D (body only) on amazon .com

They are asking $898.00 US for the K10D body and $749.00 US for the K20D body.
Both say they are shipped free by amazon. Why would they ask more for the older model? Does this make any sense to anyone. Just curious.

PS: is the K20D worth upgrading to from the K10D being I shoot mostly jpeg or should I wait for the next model that is still unknown?

BTW: what are people getting right now for a used but mint K10D body in the US?
Mine has just under 2000 clicks on it.

thanks!!

11-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I noticed the same thing but also noted the K10D is not sold directly by Amazon but by some outfit called Big Value (or something or other) through Amazon.

I don't think it means much.

Jer
11-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the reason you are seeing a premium on the K10D is that the number of new-in-box units are dwindling. While I am not sure, I can assume that the camera is out of production and NIB units are becoming rare.

I have been watching the price drops on the K20D, trying to figure out where the "bottom" might be. I bet that we'll see it hold in the mid 700s, but exactly where I don't know. I assume we might see vendors sweeten the deal with extras or gift cards. I waiting for something like that to come along before I go ahead an pull the trigger.

I want to upgrade from my K10D for the extra ISO sensitivity. I find myself wanting to avoid flash lighting at all costs lately ... probably because I don't know how to use it very well!

As far as current resale on K10Ds.... seems like I've been seeing them go on the Marketplace here from the mid 400s to low 500s. That might get lower as more forum members migrate to K20Ds and want to sell their old bodies.

germar