Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2021, 06:39 PM   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-3 III - Recommend SD Cards?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all,

The convo between @angerdan and @gatorguy in another thread got me thinking I'll need to get new SD cards since I preordered the K-3 III and I don't really know enough about them... thought maybe I could start a new thread.

If you wouldn't mind helpin me out:
I don't really need ultra fast read/write for my everyday case use, but if the occasion ever arises I want to use the camera at it's full capabilities.
I only really need 64GB --> I unload my photos at the end of each photo session. I've been making due with a 32GB currently.
I plan to shoot .dng to the UHS-II and .jpegs to the UHS-I.

1) For the K-3 III first slot (UHS-II) could anyone comment or recommend one of these:
Kingston Canvas React Plus Class 10 UHS-II SDXC Memory Card, 64GB w/ MobileLite Plus SD Reader - Secure Digital Cards (SD) - Memory Express Inc.
or
Sandisk Extreme PRO SDXC U3 UHS-II Card, 64 GB - Secure Digital Cards (SD) - Memory Express Inc.

Is the SanDisk in my examples really that much better? It seem to have the same speeds as the Kingston (which comes with a reader too)?

2) And for the K-3 III second slot (UHS-I), is this something you could comment on or recommend?
Lexar 64GB Professional 1000x SDHC / SDXC UHS-I Memory Card - Secure Digital Cards (SD) - Memory Express Inc.

3) And for a card reader... my PC has a USB-C Gen 2 port (SINLOON PCI-E to Type-C 3.1 Expansion Card).
Should I invest in a separate card reader for these new cards? Or simply plug the K-3 III into my USB-C port to transfer photos/video?

Sorry, I don't know too much about SD cards...
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by FozzFoster; 04-07-2021 at 06:45 PM.
04-07-2021, 06:49 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd go for two of the same card- that way you can always switch freely. My vote would be for the SanDisk linked above.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My vote would be for the SanDisk linked above.
Thank you for the recommendation! The SanDisk is 2.3x the cost, what makes the difference over the Kingston? They seem to have similar specs to me.
04-07-2021, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The last thing you want is a memory card failing on you- so personally I'd pay the premium. That said, 2.3x is a lot. I think you'll be able to find it for closer to 120 CAD when on sale, if not even less. After all, 64gb is a fairly small capacity these days.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-07-2021, 07:10 PM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The last thing you want is a memory card failing on you- so personally I'd pay the premium.
Really appreciate your feedback Adam!

Curious! Did you get a K-3 III preorder in?
04-07-2021, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Thank you for the recommendation! The SanDisk is 2.3x the cost, what makes the difference over the Kingston? They seem to have similar specs to me.
I bought one 64GB Kingston Canvas React Plus (like you I don't see any spec difference) to go along with a SanDisk SDXC 64GB I already had and a pair of Lexar Professional 2000x 32's FWIW. All V90's

It comes to about $140 for the three new cards so yeah, quite a bit more expensive to move up to UHS-II unless going with the V30 or even V60's with significantly slower write speeds.

And these were the cheap cards!. Yikes.
04-07-2021, 07:28 PM   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
and a pair of Lexar Professional 2000x 32's
and the Lexar 2000x seem to have the same specs too!
It still feels all over my head.
With your experience using these cards, do you notice performance differences? I understand the build quality may be different, but I'm just talking operation-wise.

04-07-2021, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Hi FozzFoster, cards are always a problem since there are so many. I for one never buy Sandisk, not because of the cost, but I do not trust them enough. I used Kingston and they never failed me, usually the warranty of those cards is quite long, about ten years and usually made in Taiwan. Years and years ago I bought Samsung SD cards and they are very, very good they never failed me, they are cheaper than Sandisk and have a long warranty: ten years. The older ones I have were made in Korea the newer ones in the Philippines (sounds familiar, doesn't it?). Sandisk was used in the older Sony Walkman's and there they sometimes had problems, which meant format the Walkman (so to speak) and then get all the music back on. And I agree with Adam, always use the same cards in both slots. Prevents you also from speed problems when writing to both cards at the same time. The oldest Samsung Card I have still does its job very well.
04-07-2021, 11:30 PM - 1 Like   #9
sbc
Pentaxian

I think as long as you get a card from an established brand you should be ok. SD card top speed also depends on the SD slot in the camera.

Fastest SD Card - Speed Test Results | April 2021

Check out this link for the fastest.
04-08-2021, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
I think as long as you get a card from an established brand you should be ok. SD card top speed also depends on the SD slot in the camera.

Fastest SD Card - Speed Test Results | April 2021

Check out this link for the fastest.
Correct, only one slot is UHS-II and can take advantage of the much faster SD cards I mentioned, but the faster cards are backwards compatible.

I'm not sure if the K3 III can take advantage of some of the faster UHS-I cards on the second slot now. None of the previous Pentax cameras would transfer data faster than 45mb/s no matter how fast your SD card was, and the K1 is even slower. Any U3 card was fine, even Class 10 for most of us.

Yeah a faster card would at least get the images on your computer quicker, assuming it supports USB-3, but IMO a extra minute or two was never worth the much higher cost of the fastest cards. With the new K3 III it's probably well worth it.

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-10-2021 at 05:48 PM.
04-08-2021, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Take a look at Delkin Power UHS II cards also. I’ve been using them and also their CF Express B cards and they have been just as good as Sony Tough and Sandisk extreme pro cards and are a little cheaper than them.
04-08-2021, 07:45 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
The convo between @angerdan and @gatorguy in another thread got me thinking I'll need to get new SD cards since I preordered the K-3 III and I don't really know enough about them...
  1. For the K-3 III first slot (UHS-II) could anyone comment or recommend one of these:
    Kingston Canvas React Plus Class 10 UHS-II SDXC Memory Card, 64GB w/ MobileLite Plus SD Reader - Secure Digital Cards (SD) - Memory Express Inc.
    or
    Sandisk Extreme PRO SDXC U3 UHS-II Card, 64 GB - Secure Digital Cards (SD) - Memory Express Inc.
    Is the SanDisk in my examples really that much better? It seem to have the same speeds as the Kingston (which comes with a reader too)?
  2. And for the K-3 III second slot (UHS-I), is this something you could comment on or recommend?
    Lexar 64GB Professional 1000x SDHC / SDXC UHS-I Memory Card - Secure Digital Cards (SD) - Memory Express Inc.
  3. And for a card reader... my PC has a USB-C Gen 2 port (SINLOON PCI-E to Type-C 3.1 Expansion Card).
  4. Should I invest in a separate card reader for these new cards? Or simply plug the K-3 III into my USB-C port to transfer photos/video?
  1. I do recommend the Transcend SDXC 700S ($70), which uses higher quality MLC-NAND. MLC has 10x higher reliability than common TLC or consumer-grade QLC.
    SDXC/SDHC 700S | SD Cards - Transcend Information, Inc.
  2. I do recommend the Transcend SDXC 500S ($50), which uses higher quality MLC-NAND. MLC has 10x higher reliability than common TLC or consumer-grade QLC.
    SDXC/SDHC 500S | SD Cards - Transcend Information, Inc.
  3. I do recommend the Kingston FCR-HS4 ($40), which can transfer ub to 5 Gbit/s:
    USB 3.0 Card Reader for CF, SD, MicroSD and Memory Stick - Kingston Technology
  4. Yes, It can be always useful to have a separate card reader.

QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
Many brands sell memory cards with low grade NANC. If you use memory cards with TLC-NAND Flash, you'll have to live with 10x lower TBW and MTBF.
Better try to find a brand, which is honest enough to tell the used NAND. Like Transcend or Panasonic. I'd also trust Toshiba (Kioxia).
04-08-2021, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
  1. I do recommend the Transcend SDXC 700S ($70), which uses higher quality MLC-NAND. MLC has 10x higher reliability than common TLC or consumer-grade QLC.
    SDXC/SDHC 700S | SD Cards - Transcend Information, Inc.
  2. I do recommend the Transcend SDXC 500S ($50), which uses higher quality MLC-NAND. MLC has 10x higher reliability than common TLC or consumer-grade QLC.
    SDXC/SDHC 500S | SD Cards - Transcend Information, Inc.
  3. I do recommend the Kingston FCR-HS4 ($40), which can transfer ub to 5 Gbit/s:
    USB 3.0 Card Reader for CF, SD, MicroSD and Memory Stick - Kingston Technology
  4. Yes, It can be always useful to have a separate card reader.

Many brands sell memory cards with low grade NANC. If you use memory cards with TLC-NAND Flash, you'll have to live with 10x lower TBW and MTBF.
Better try to find a brand, which is honest enough to tell the used NAND. Like Transcend or Panasonic. I'd also trust Toshiba (Kioxia).
FWIW Amazon reviews for the Transcend cards have a relatively high number of complaints, 16% one-star which exceeds my general rule of no more than 7% if purchasing.
04-08-2021, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Hi FozzFoster, cards are always a problem since there are so many. I for one never buy Sandisk, not because of the cost, but I do not trust them enough. I used Kingston and they never failed me, usually the warranty of those cards is quite long, about ten years and usually made in Taiwan. Years and years ago I bought Samsung SD cards and they are very, very good they never failed me, they are cheaper than Sandisk and have a long warranty: ten years. The older ones I have were made in Korea the newer ones in the Philippines (sounds familiar, doesn't it?). Sandisk was used in the older Sony Walkman's and there they sometimes had problems, which meant format the Walkman (so to speak) and then get all the music back on. And I agree with Adam, always use the same cards in both slots. Prevents you also from speed problems when writing to both cards at the same time. The oldest Samsung Card I have still does its job very well.
As far as "warranty" is concerned: if a card is going to fail and it's loaded full of "one in a lifetime" shots .... what good is it anyway?
Sandisk cards have been my choice for several years and I presume that they are just as good as the ones you mention here.
04-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #15
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
if a card is going to fail
Thats why you have two card slots.
So you've still captured the moment, and you might get your money back! :P