Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
As far as "warranty" is concerned: if a card is going to fail and it's loaded full of "one in a lifetime" shots .... what good is it anyway?
Sandisk cards have been my choice for several years and I presume that they are just as good as the ones you mention here.
The warranty may give an indication of the quality: If a company gives a long warranty they do not do that because they want to see many cards be returned. There was even a brand that gave a long warranty and the certainty that you got another card within a day shipped from their factory. Of course when that card has the shot of a lifetime on it that long warranty does not mean a lot at all. It is the thought behind with a company that has a reputation to loose.

04-08-2021, 10:11 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Thats why you have two card slots.
So you've still captured the moment, and you might get your money back! :P
Agreed.

But !!! Cards are cards and subject to failing, albeit rarely... warrantied or not !
04-09-2021, 10:35 AM   #18
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Correct, only one slot is UHS-II and can take advantage of the much faster SD cards I mentioned, but the faster cards are backwards compatible.
No, what I meant is different SD card reader controller chips have different speeds. That means UHS-II slot on different cameras will vary in speed depending on which company made that slot/reader.
04-09-2021, 10:44 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
No, what I meant is different SD card reader controller chips have different speeds. That means UHS-II slot on different cameras will vary in speed depending on which company made that slot/reader.
Oh, understood.

04-10-2021, 03:32 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Any U3 card was fine, even Class 10 for most of us.
Same thing.

---------- Post added 04-11-21 at 09:52 AM ----------

All V90's
Why ?

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-10-2021 at 05:47 PM.
04-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
COLOR="Silver"]posted by gatorguy
All V90's[/I]

Why ?
Why? Because:

Recommended UHS-II Memory Cards for Nikon D500
-Sony SF-G Tough UHS-II Card (300 MB/s, V90)
-Lexar Professional 2000x UHS-II Card (300 MB/s, V90)
-SanDisk Extreme PRO UHS-II Card (300 MB/s, V90)
-Hoodman Steel 2000x UHS-II SD Card (300 MB/s, V90)
-Lexar Professional 1667x UHS-II Card (250 MB/s, V60)

and I'm spending my own money.

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-10-2021 at 05:06 PM.
04-10-2021, 05:52 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

None of the previous Pentax cameras would transfer data faster than 45mb/s no matter how fast your SD card was, and the K1 is even slower. Any U3 card was fine, even Class 10 for most of us.
Same thing.
Not as far as I knew. While a U3 card is also a Class 10, not every Class 10 card is U3. If that's incorrect please explain why.

04-10-2021, 08:43 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Why? Because:
Nikon D500
ive seen you say you only shoot Pentax,Is that still the case?

---------- Post added 04-11-21 at 02:57 PM ----------

If that's incorrect please explain why.
There is a technical difference, however cast your mind back to Pre V numbers.There was Class 10,which was fastest and recommended for the basic 4K video and still works.V30 transfers data a little faster and is now the recommended for basic 4K video...hence "the same"...technically they differ a little but do the same job.

Last edited by surfar; 04-10-2021 at 08:58 PM.
04-11-2021, 06:03 AM   #24

A very timely topic as I also haven't needed to buy a new card in almost 10 years. My Lexar Prof. 16Gb 133x has done quite nicely in my K-5 but it was time to do some research and get myself up-to-speed. ;-)

I found this article helpful to understand the most recent coding terminology. Lexar vs. Sandisk: The Guide to Which SD Card is Best

I don't intend to shoot much video but will want to take advantage of the potential 12fps. My question is whether I actually "need" 260Mbs or can I count on the buffer to carry most of the load such that a lower write speed will be sufficient?

(edit, I think 260Mbs is the fastest write speed out there for regular prices, but do I even need that?)

Last edited by SimplyCreativePhotography; 04-11-2021 at 06:26 AM.
04-11-2021, 07:43 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

ive seen you say you only shoot Pentax,Is that still the case?

---------- Post added 04-11-21 at 02:57 PM ----------

There is a technical difference, however cast your mind back to Pre V numbers.There was Class 10,which was fastest and recommended for the basic 4K video and still works.V30 transfers data a little faster and is now the recommended for basic 4K video...hence "the same"...technically they differ a little but do the same job.
So the same, but they're different.

I think "backward-compatible" would be the key-phrase. Every UHS-II SD card is technically Class 10 (or U1) too aren't they?
EDIT: A 'splainer from B&H for curious souls

UHS Speed Class Rating This is the minimum sustained writing speed of the card; important for video recording. UHS Speed class 3 cards will never write slower than 30 MB/s, UHS Speed class 1 cards never slower than 10 MB/s.

Speed-Class Rating This is an older speed-class rating. It is redundant of the UHS speed class, but many card manufacturers include it, as well, since many consumer products still recommend products based on the old standard. A class 10 is the fastet of the old speed class ratings and a class 10 card is verified to never write slower than 10 MB/s, class 4 would be never slower than 4 MB/s.

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-11-2021 at 08:23 AM.
04-11-2021, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
My question is whether I actually "need" 260Mbs or can I count on the buffer to carry most of the load such that a lower write speed will be sufficient?
(edit, I think 260Mbs is the fastest write speed out there for regular prices, but do I even need that?)
I'd like to link to my posts:
This is the Pentax K-3 Mark III - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Photo:
141DNG @ 8GB = ~55Mbyte/photo.
UHS-II means 104-312Mbyte/s bandwith, so with 12fps burst you should get a card with at least 150Mbyte/s constant minimum writing speed if you repeat bursts and the Buffer of 30 DNGs isn't cleared.
Toshiba Exceria Pro would be a good choice.
EXCERIA PRO SD Memory Card | KIOXIA
This is the Pentax K-3 Mark III - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
This is the Pentax K-3 Mark III - PentaxForums.com
K-1mk3 what if... - PentaxForums.com
04-11-2021, 02:10 PM   #27

Thanks for not getting tired of answering this question in multiple threads.

One thing I'm not clear about is the impact of the slower UHS-1 slot if I'm writing to it with backup jpg's. If my SD card in slot 1 writes my RAW images at 150Mb/sec but in one of your other posts, you indicate that the maximum without buffer for UHS-1 would be 6fps.

Does that mean that if I think I will want/need more than 6fps, then I should not dual-write?
04-11-2021, 02:57 PM   #28
Pentaxian

One thing I'm not clear about is the impact of the slower UHS-1 slot if I'm writing to it with backup jpg's. Does that mean that if I think I will want/need more than 6fps, then I should not dual-write?

Yes, i'd say so:
UHS-I can transfer up to 104 Mbyte/s. So with the JPG-Files beeing 15 Mbyte and the Buffer for 37 JPGs, up to 6fps without Buffer could be possible with UHS-I.
Since Slot 1 ist UHS-II, not much to worry about for RAW
04-11-2021, 02:59 PM   #29

Yes, i'd say so:
Thanks again.
04-11-2021, 03:08 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing I'm not clear about is the impact of the slower UHS-1 slot if I'm writing to it with backup jpg's. If my SD card in slot 1 writes my RAW images at 150Mb/sec but in one of your other posts, you indicate that the maximum without buffer for UHS-1 would be 6fps.

Does that mean that if I think I will want/need more than 6fps, then I should not dual-write?
I haven't seen the speed class supported by the K3 III's UHS-I slot but the SD spec itself allows up to 90MB sustained write, meaning AFAIK twice what the KP or any previous Pentax APS-C permitted.