Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2021, 06:22 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If possible, could anyone (with a K-3iii and suitable cards) test if using the ~300MB/sec cards would result in faster writes, or are the ~150MB/sec ones fast enough?
The price difference is quite significant.
SD card speeds are like MPG ratings - "your milage may vary". Manufacturers will advertise read/write speeds under optimal conditions, and performance between identically rated cards does vary. Whether a card is 'fast enough' depends on your needs. If you are shooting single frames at a time, a regular 95MB/sec UHS-I card will do. If you are shooting burst mode until the camera's buffer fills, then faster writing cards will help the camera clear its buffer faster. If you are shooting continuous 4K video, then sustained transfer rate is much more important than peak write speed under optimal conditions.

I've picked the ProGrade 128GB cards that @brewmaster15 linked above, and will give them a thorough test when I get a K-3 iii.

See PentaxTips continuous test using the Kingston React Plus V90 card:

04-29-2021, 03:43 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
SD card speeds are like MPG ratings - "your milage may vary". Manufacturers will advertise read/write speeds under optimal conditions, and performance between identically rated cards does vary. Whether a card is 'fast enough' depends on your needs. If you are shooting single frames at a time, a regular 95MB/sec UHS-I card will do. If you are shooting burst mode until the camera's buffer fills, then faster writing cards will help the camera clear its buffer faster. If you are shooting continuous 4K video, then sustained transfer rate is much more important than peak write speed under optimal conditions.

I've picked the ProGrade 128GB cards that @brewmaster15 linked above, and will give them a thorough test when I get a K-3 iii.

Pentax K-3 III: AF-C - Continuous Shooting Test - YouTube
I'm using those same Kingston cards (as well as another brand not yet opened) and so far pleased with them.
04-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Sorry, but this actually avoids my question.
Let's try again: I could get a Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-II 270MB/sec (rated writing speed) or a Sony Tough 300MB/sec, or, at less than half the price, a Sony Tough rated for 150MB/sec write speed.
If anyone could do a test - I've seen the one with the Kingston 300MB/sec, so a 150MB/sec-ish card one would be great - that would be much appreciated.
04-29-2021, 04:52 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry, but this actually avoids my question.
Let's try again: I could get a Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-II 270MB/sec (rated writing speed) or a Sony Tough 300MB/sec, or, at less than half the price, a Sony Tough rated for 150MB/sec write speed.
If anyone could do a test - I've seen the one with the Kingston 300MB/sec, so a 150MB/sec-ish card one would be great - that would be much appreciated.
See this video by yasso1967

They test the following SD Cards: Lexar 256Gb 1000X UHS-II Card, SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB UHS-I card, ProGrade Gold 256GB V60 UHS-II Card, and the ProGrade Cobalt 256GB V90 UHS-II card. I do not know the manufacturer's claimed WRITE speeds for the cards. This is the rating that matters for capturing photos.

The Lexar 1000x card takes about 35 sec to clear the buffer
The SanDisk card takes about 19 sec to clear the buffer
The ProGrade Gold V60 takes about 16 sec to clear the buffer
The ProGrade Cobalt V90 takes about 20 sec to clear the buffer

They then run the ProGrade Gold again and it takes 20 sec to clear the buffer.

It depends on your use. If you just shoot 2-3 frames and then walk around for 20 min before shooting again, then any SD card will work for you. If you shoot bursts at 7fps, you might be just fine with 150MB/s cards. If you are constantly filling the buffer and missing shots while you wait for the buffer to clear, you might be best served by a V90 card.

Again, just because a manufacturer claims a given read/write speed, that is always under optimal conditions. Doesn't mean that the card will sustain that speed, either. A V60 card might clear faster than a V90 card - the V rating is for the minimum sustained write speed.

We'll know more as folks get their K-3 iii's and can test with different cards.

04-30-2021, 01:21 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Thank you, I know how storage works - you don't have to repeatedly explain.
About the video, these times are from when the shooting starts so they include approx.. 7 seconds of shooting. Was it in JPEG?
Anyway, very poor performance for the Lexar.
04-30-2021, 03:41 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ProGrade Gold V60 takes about 16 sec to clear the buffer
"Up to 130Mbyte/s write speed" for ProGrade Gold V60 256GB:
SDXC - v60 Memory Card | ProGrade Digital
04-30-2021, 05:23 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally I've chosen to stick with V90 cards rather than V60 or 30, the specific brand being less important than the speed rating, especially the write speed. I also use the V90's in both slots. Why confuse things and find you accidentally put one of your slower cards in the fast slot? Do I care if I'm not taking advantage of the speed at every shoot? Nope.

If I decide to try 4K video I'd want to know that my card can keep up. If I have to do some fast back-to-back bursts ditto again. Will I want to tomorrow? I don't know, so I just make sure I'm prepared no matter what I think I'll be doing. Therefore no slower cards in the mix.

I'll use 6 cards in total, cycling them in no particular order. Only two are 64GB (Kingston Canvas React) and the other four are 32 (Kingston Canvas React), and all spares are carried in a separate unique color SD card case. It's hopefully all I'll spend on UHSII SD cards for a few years so the few dollars of extra cost for the speedier cards far outweigh's the inconvenience of discovering you don't have a spare fast UHSII with you when that unexpected photo or video op presents itself.

04-30-2021, 05:27 AM   #53
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
. . . I also use the V90's in both slots. Why confuse things and find you accidentally put one of your slower cards in the fast slot?

I'll use 6 cards in total, cycling them in no particular order. Only two are 64GB (Kingston Canvas React) and the other four are 32 (Kingston Canvas React), and all spares are carried in a separate unique color SD card case. It's hopefully all I'll spend on UHSII SD cards for a few years so the few dollars of extra cost for the speedier cards far outweigh's the inconvenience of discovering you don't have a spare fast UHSII with you when that unexpected photo op presents itself.
will slot no. 2 accept that card ?

I, too, selected the 64GB (Kingston Canvas React)
04-30-2021, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
will slot no. 2 accept that card ?

I, too, selected the 64GB (Kingston Canvas React)
Yup. UHSII cards are backwards compatible.
04-30-2021, 05:32 AM   #55
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Yup. UHSII cards are backwards compatible.
good to know

I am set up for RAW ( DNG ) for slot 1 and Jpeg for Slot 2
04-30-2021, 05:39 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
good to know

I am set up for RAW ( DNG ) for slot 1 and Jpeg for Slot 2
I think that's what I'll be doing most of the time too, even tho I've shot only RAW for years. With this camera I can see advantages to writing only JPEGS or RAW to a single card at times, leaving the other slot off for clearing the buffer as quickly as possible, but a good balance most of the time I think will be RAW+. Writing the same RAW data to both cards would be for less speedy uses since the slower Slot 2 would be a potential bottleneck for something like a sporting event no matter how fast the card in that slot is.
04-30-2021, 07:33 AM   #57
Pentaxian

A friend of mine reported an unusually slow write speed for a Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I (170MB/sec version) in slot 2:
Note for K3III Cards: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I have both that card, and the 95MB/sec version; but no K-3iii to test...
04-30-2021, 07:46 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

A friend of mine reported an unusually slow write speed for a Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I (170MB/sec version) in slot 2:
Note for K3III Cards: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I have both that card, and the 95MB/sec version; but no K-3iii to test...
UHS1? I think I have some of those cards, bought for the K1, but the max write was 130 IIRC which the K1 can't take advantage of anyway. The read speed is what I wanted since the file are so large and take so long to transfer to computer with the standard 95/mb UHS-1 cards.

As you know the advertised read speeds are not what you're interested in for the K3 III. That's why I've chosen the fast WRITE V-90's. Wasn't worth wondering if I had a fast enough card for what I end up shooting tomorrow.
05-12-2022, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I plan to shoot .dng to the UHS-II and .jpegs to the UHS-I.
New to K-3 III - can it do this at the same time? (Meaning shoot an image and have raw [dng] go to card 1 and processed go to card 2)?

Thanks!
05-12-2022, 10:22 PM - 2 Likes   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
New to K-3 III - can it do this at the same time? (Meaning shoot an image and have raw [dng] go to card 1 and processed go to card 2)?

Thanks!
Yes. Page 48 of the manual explains it. The menu options are in the camera symbol (I think Capture?) menu, page 5. You can choose Sequential, fills up one card and rolls over to the next. Or Save to Both, the same file type on each card. Or Separate RAW/JPEG, which does as you describe.