Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
personally I never thought the KP was a Flagship Pentax

I always thought the K 1 family as the full frame Sensor Flagship and the K 3 family as the flagship for the ASP-C

the K 70 was the newest " entry " level and the KP the more advanced lower level camera choice

but what do I know *

* = [ not as much as I might claim but more than some people ( my brothers, in-laws and others ) give me credit for ]
When Ricoh/Pentax introduced the KP they stated that it inherited the genes of the K-3 (II) family. I guess the idea was that the K-1 was the Pentax flagship (and the end of the line in numbering) and the KP the high end camera in APS-C. "Heir to K-3 legacy, Slim-Body Camera Incorporates New Features and Controls Optimized to Deliver Outstanding Images, Even in the Most Challenging Conditions First PENTAX APS-C Camera to offer Shake Reduction II".
(Ricoh announces Pentax KP with new Shake Reduction system and 24MP sensor: Digital Photography Review) If you read the announcement here published on DP Ricoh did an awful lot to indicate that it was a lot of K-3 II with a lot of new technology such as the shake reduction and the high iso and a new sensor and above all a lot of controls borrowed from the K-1. With the same pricing as the K-3 II on introduction it was clearly a high end APS-C. They later revoked that it was a replacement for the K-3 II, but that one went out of production quite soon after the introduction of the KP, the latter was the only high end APS-C for years. And after the break-up with Samsung it was always the K-family with single numbers (the expensive flagship ones) and the K-family with double numbers (the stripped down cheaper camera's) and some odd ones like the K-S's and the brilliant K-01. The KP does not fit in with any of these families, it is KP (so without a hyphen) with a completely different design. The KP was not a flagship (perhaps) but it certainly belonged to the same fleet of K-7 up to K-1. The KP is perhaps a lower level than the K-1 but not compared to K-3 and further down that line given the improvements over the K-3 II in important features, such as the SR, high ISO and a new sensor.

04-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
When Ricoh/Pentax introduced the KP they stated that it inherited the genes of the K-3 (II) family.
Yep, that it did. I like the way the first paragraph of the PF review put the relationship between the three cameras (all active product at the time)...

QuoteQuote:
The Pentax KP is a 24 megapixel APS-C format DSLR camera launched in early 2017 as a premium mid-range model between the upper entry-level K-70 and flagship K-3 II. Three key aspects motivate the KP's design: compactness, customizability, and image quality. This makes it a rather unique offering; not since the K200D (2009) has Pentax had a mid-range model with a battery grip as an option.
Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Steve
04-14-2021, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The last entry level camera Pentax produced was the K-S1 or K-500, the K-30, K-50, K-S2, and K-70 were midrange models, but when they are the lowest price, they get called entry level, but they are quite a bit more advanced than entry level DSLRs from the other manufacturers. The KP is an outlier, some say it was designed as a flagship but then they decided not to make it a flagship, possibly not to interfere with the upcoming K-1ii, all speculation.

I think within 12-18 months there will be a K-70 or KP successor, maybe sooner. It seems when Pentax comes out with a lot of new "features", they like to get it into more than one product. Possibly a K-1 successor in that same time frame.
04-14-2021, 02:11 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, that it did. I like the way the first paragraph of the PF review put the relationship between the three cameras (all active product at the time)...

QuoteQuote:
The Pentax KP is a 24 megapixel APS-C format DSLR camera launched in early 2017 as a premium mid-range model between the upper entry-level K-70 and flagship K-3 II. Three key aspects motivate the KP's design: compactness, customizability, and image quality. This makes it a rather unique offering; not since the K200D (2009) has Pentax had a mid-range model with a battery grip as an option.

Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Steve
thanks that is the language I was relying on but I couldn't remember where I saw it

04-15-2021, 12:16 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably the next camera from Ricoh will be the follower of the K-70 only because there has to be a product cycle. The main upgrad will be the AF System from the KP/K-3 and probably the sensor from the KP. Ricoh can not upgrade the two digit line any further because it is allready to close to the flagship line in terms of IQ and other features. The K-70 is no entry level camera, by IQ and features it is a upper middle grade camera.

I just mused a bit about if Ricoh will built a KP with a more pronounced grip as follow up for the K-70. But that would be far to close to the flagship line, what do you think?
But I think we all agree, there will be only two camera lines in APS-C in the future. No cheap entry level any more. No more experiments like the K-01, K-S1 and yes, the KP.
04-15-2021, 12:39 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSkink Quote
So what will happen with K70 and its successor?
Good question. Between the pandemic, disruption in supply and demand, and the mirrorless movement, it's hard to say when we may see the next entry level Pentax DSLR....probably a K-90.

We can look at patterns from Canon, Nikon, and Pentax for a guess.

Canon comes out with an entry level DSLR about once a year and their last was the T8i in early 2020.

Nikon comes out with an entry level DSLR about once every two years and their last was the D3500 in mid 2018, so they are overdue but it seems they are all into mirrorless and are reserving DSLR models for advanced or pro level.

Pentax was producing a new entry level DSLR once a year until the K70 in mid 2016. Since then, all new production seems geared toward the higher end models and higher end lenses.

Because the K3iii is the only new DSLR from Canon, Nikon, or Pentax this year, I can't imagine a K-90 until 2022 at best. As a Pentaxian and photo teacher, I truly wish Pentax offered a model at the price point of an entry level DSLR at a competitive price to the entry level Canons and Nikons. Without it, imagine any car company without an entry level model.
04-15-2021, 12:40 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
No cheap entry level any more.
I think that’s a fairly clear imputation, from all that’s been said from Ricoh executives.

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
No more experiments like the K-01, K-S1 and yes, the KP.
I wouldn’t be so sure about that. As the DSLR offerings from the majors start to wind down (I know Nikon hasn’t yet committed to a full MILC lineup, but I think they’ll follow Canon’s lead fairly soon) photographers looking for a decent DSLR at a reasonable price will be more likely attracted to something different, along that line, though probably more like the K-P than the others.

04-15-2021, 01:42 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thanks folks, interesting stuff

Clearly not being able to get to a proper photo shop (and assumptions on my part) has caused me to miss a nice piece of kit in the KP. In the UK last year it was £500 (now £1000) and I assumed it was a beginners camera - it kind of looked like one to my eyes

Was trying to justify a £2000 K3 iii but it wouldn't get enough use to justify so looking to spend a fraction of that on some MF film kit and take my image making in a different direction
04-15-2021, 03:16 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you need a good bargain DSLR buy the K-70. There is nothing wrong with it. Especially it's IQ is excellent and I do not think there is a reason to buy the K-P, K-3 iii to get their better image quality, with the sole exception of high ISO. I would say for every day photography the K-S2 will produce excellent pictures as well.

The difference between the K-70 (and K-S2) and the upper line for me is more about modern AF, handling (third knob, shoulder display, joystick, etc.), special features, speed, durability. And the K-70 is very good in these areas either. It is just not top notch. If you need a camera to do the job, the K-70 is yours. And in some special scenarios I would even suggest to buy the K-70 (articulated screen I look at you).
04-15-2021, 03:47 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

unless you are looking for a NIB old stock of the KP

You might find " experienced " ones cheaper as more folks decide to try to obtain funds for the new K 3 III

good luck

and don't forget to add the cost of film and processing in the decision to go to film
04-15-2021, 04:30 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

life of Pentaxian is so exciting

I have silver KP , did not know that you can get silver k-70 , amazing!
So we do not get colourful ( white , red , yellow , green , blue , smurf , pink , ping floyd rose , burgundy etc ) bodies any more?.........

P.S.: sorry I possibly did get mix-up , it is not a colour any more , it is a thingo you can attache to your strings , but still it would look amazing in a rose colour
04-15-2021, 06:09 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Does the k70 have the same aperture issues as the k30/50?
04-15-2021, 06:36 AM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
Does the k70 have the same aperture issues as the k30/50?
There has some reports here to that point

How wide spread the problem is ????
04-15-2021, 07:29 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
There has some reports here to that point

How wide spread the problem is ????
There have been ‘trouble’ reports from the K-70 that turned out to be just the “Dark Image Syndrome” again, and someone sued the US Distributor of Ricoh copiers because of the problem. Honestly, I think they should just release a KAF4 ‘standard’ lens, and then kit the K-70 follow up with it.

added: Reports keep dribbling in - another one yesterday; I believe Pentax did reduce the problem, but .....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/423054-...ml#post5254063
A comment in the above thread is
QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
I think the prevailing theory is that cameras manufactured after 2015 didn't have the *really* bad solenoid, just a mediocre one.
This thought is not very comforting to me, and I see little to change my opinion.

Last edited by reh321; 04-15-2021 at 10:08 AM.
04-15-2021, 07:42 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I think that’s a fairly clear imputation, from all that’s been said from Ricoh executives.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. As the DSLR offerings from the majors start to wind down (I know Nikon hasn’t yet committed to a full MILC lineup, but I think they’ll follow Canon’s lead fairly soon) photographers looking for a decent DSLR at a reasonable price will be more likely attracted to something different, along that line, though probably more like the K-P than the others.
From what has been said, I believe the new prism could be half the cost of the K-3iii. If that is true, Pentax could release the follow up to the K-70 with the new focusing system and processor. and still keep the price close to $1000.
Of course, they might put a smaller buffer in it so it is even more limited, but their ’bottom’ would still be “premium”.

added: I purchased my KP partly because a Pentax representative said it had the same aperture control that the K-3 did.
I might purchase the K-70 followup described above it it were the only way I could get the new focusing system for a price close to $1000 - I have no need for the new prism, and I'm unwilling to pay $2000 {the price of the K-3iii} in order to get it.

Last edited by reh321; 04-15-2021 at 08:33 AM.