Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2021, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #16
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Is this thread about flashes (as in the OP's post) or about anything?
Is there ever a thread that has more than just a couple of replies that does not wander around a bit or even go way off topic at times?

I think Lowell raised one feature that would be nice - and when I started with Pentax P-TTL drove me mad so I stopped using it - but I don't think the discussion is limited to flashes but rather things we'd love to see in a Pentax camera.

Last edited by MSL; 04-15-2021 at 04:51 PM.
04-15-2021, 03:47 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The thread meaning I got was what the OP wants to see coming in future models, so naturally this invites others to express what they want to see coming. As to pure TTL flash, many have thought it better overall than P-TTL flash. Here I have thought right along, if one installs a vintage TTL flash in the hot shoe of a current Pentax camera, you still will get TTL flash.
04-15-2021, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The thread meaning I got was what the OP wants to see coming in future models, so naturally this invites others to express what they want to see coming. As to pure TTL flash, many have thought it better overall than P-TTL flash. Here I have thought right along, if one installs a vintage TTL flash in the hot shoe of a current Pentax camera, you still will get TTL flash.
No that is not the case any more. It was with the *istD series cameras, but starting with the Kseries DSLRs only P-TTL was available.

The *istD actually has the most complete flash functionality of any DSLR in the pentax line up.

With an AF540 FGZ it could automatically select the most capable flash mode depending on the lens. A series and later would be P-TTL non A lenses would be TTL

With the AF500FTZ FTZ it would automatically shoot TTL regardless of lens attached

It could even use the internal flash as a flash master in high speed sync, a feature discarded soon after as well.

It truely defined what a flagship should be, the maximum possible compatibility with legacy equipment as part of a real system

Is it unreasonable to ask only for what we used to have???
04-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hear what you're saying. I have several of these vintage flashes. One I have especially liked is the TTL flash capable AF 280T with tilt/swivel and a special downward tilt setting for closeups- all this while being exceptionally compact for its power output capabilities. However, I do have several more recent P-TTL flash units, which I tend to use when I need a flash, thinking there might be a better working matchup with my more current cameras.

But I do wonder what would happen if I put the AF 280T on say my K-5 IIs or KP and set the flash to one of its two Auto modes? The auto modes, as I recall, do not use any type of TTL, but instead use the flash unit's own automatic metering via a sensor located in the front output lens of the unit. I found in old film cameras not having any TTL, the flash's own system works quite well. Maybe this is a workaround for getting good auto flash output metering results without engaging P-TTL.

04-16-2021, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

the redo of the smc FA 24-90
04-16-2021, 05:15 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Is this thread about flashes (as in the OP's post) or about anything?
It's about what we wish for Christmas, Spring, or whenever
04-16-2021, 05:40 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The DA and FA Limited series lenses with AW / WR.

04-16-2021, 08:23 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
But I do wonder what would happen if I put the AF 280T on say my K-5 IIs or KP and set the flash to one of its two Auto modes? The auto modes, as I recall, do not use any type of TTL, but instead use the flash unit's own automatic metering via a sensor located in the front output lens of the unit. I found in old film cameras not having any TTL, the flash's own system works quite well. Maybe this is a workaround for getting good auto flash output metering results without engaging P-TTL.
I ran a test once with the AF 280T mounted on my Pentax LX. Took one shot with TTL mode, and one with the flash's auto mode. I thought the exposure in auto mode turned out a tad better.
04-16-2021, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #24

All I want is a 100mp 645z II - in a DSLR format of course - with a larger viewfinder than the present 645z - no on sensor PDAF either.

And newer MF zooms to compliment the 28-45 like a 45-100 and 100-250 zoom all weather sealed with internal zooming (don't like extending barrel zoom lenses).
04-16-2021, 06:26 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
All I want from Pentax is better AF tracking so reviewers can't keep criticizing it.
Sigh. No matter how much Ricoh improves AF performance, there will be those reviewers who will find a way to criticize it. They'll say something like it isn't as reliable as they expect it to be, or it doesn't "feel as precise".

That said, I am looking forward to the AF improvements, especially in AF tracking, in the K-3 iii.
04-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
All I want from Pentax is a KP successor that goes full-blown retro - not just retro-modern - and reverts to physical controls on top like the DF, but also includes an aperture feeler like old bodies so we can do away with that clunky stop-down metering and seeing "F - -" once and for all. And, most importantly, also trades the video function for a near-bottomless buffer. Video mode does not belong in a DSLR, and its presence forces compromise on the very thing an SLR *IS* meant to do, which is TAKE PICTURES. Curse Nikon for starting that nonsense.

---------- Post added 04-16-2021 at 09:09 PM ----------

Oh, and I want them to take the A50 1.2 and give it the HD coatings and AF.

Last edited by Volvo244T; 04-16-2021 at 07:07 PM.
04-16-2021, 08:37 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would vote for a significantly smaller camera but I don't think it's possible to get smaller than the K-01.
04-17-2021, 02:19 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
Sigh. No matter how much Ricoh improves AF performance, there will be those reviewers who will find a way to criticize it. They'll say something like it isn't as reliable as they expect it to be, or it doesn't "feel as precise".

That said, I am looking forward to the AF improvements, especially in AF tracking, in the K-3 iii.
I know that some reviewers has a anti-Pentax bias. Who cares about them?

On the other hand, AF performance is the real Achille's Heel of Pentax. I really hope the upcoming camera can make it comparable to cameras from other manufacturers. It needs to, since it's the real single downside of Pentax compared to the others.
04-17-2021, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote

On the other hand, AF performance is the real Achille's Heel of Pentax. I really hope the upcoming camera can make it comparable to cameras from other manufacturers. It needs to, since it's the real single downside of Pentax compared to the others.
In what way is AF performance the achilles heel - is it speed or accuracy or both - or the number of AF points.

I've found the AF in the 645z particularly accurate and fast - the issue is all the points are in the middle but the performance and accuracy is a lot better than my Nikon D810 which was lauded at the time
04-17-2021, 04:52 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I would vote for a significantly smaller camera but I don't think it's possible to get smaller than the K-01.
Sure it is. Just not in an SLR, or a K-mount SLR.

---------- Post added 04-17-21 at 07:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
There's an entire cottage industry of people who get very indignant about all Pentax reviews. If all camera reviews were double-blind peer reviewed academic papers what would they do with their time?