Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K110D "parts bodies" greatest good to the community?

Quick question, let me know if not in the right place.

I today received a collection of Pentax DLSR parts bodies. Two of the bodies are K110D that I may be able to repair into operable condition, but had initially planned to strip for parts. I have $40 invested in each of these bodies, and I plan to strip them for parts (chiefly the coveted "made in Japan white solenoid") and offer the parts here to recover my costs. Would this be more useful, or would fully functioning K110D bodies at about $50 plus shipping be more useful to folks here? Both of these bodies are in excellent cosmetic condition.

Body 1 came with a fault described as "sometimes shutter continues firing" - sounds like an intermittent problem, but I was unable to re-create it. It seems to work fine to me.

Body 2 came with a fault "won't operate with flash open" - indeed this is true. I think it may simply be a flash capacitor that may be preventing from signaling to the camera that the the flash is ready to fire and thus prevents the shutter from operating. The camera seems to work fine otherwise.

So, try to repair and offer working bodies in the marketplace or strip for cheap parts to offer in the marketplace? Clearly, it would be easier for me to simply harvest parts from these.

I have also to other bodies (a K100D and an *ist Ds) that do indeed appear to be beyond help and will have their solenoids harvested for the good of the PentaxForums community.

~ Jon

04-16-2021, 05:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure I would want to sell them as working cameras with the issues you describe.
04-17-2021, 03:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems the solenoids for the benefit of better cameras that also have more advanced features and WR construction that have this problem would provide a very welcome service.

I actually have a few old models like this that are in perfect condition, and have been thinking about whether to sell them, give them, or what. One of them- the K200D which is a good camera but it has an excessive battery drain problem, I am thinking of just keeping it due to a repair would likely cost more than its selling price, and it would then be my backup resource in case my secondary lightweight K-S2 should develop the solenoid failure.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-17-2021 at 03:23 AM.
04-17-2021, 12:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I'm not sure I would want to sell them as working cameras with the issues you describe.
Yeah, I agree. My intention was to fix the problems and then resell them for zero profit. I'm not sure that was clear. I just want to do what might be most useful to the Pentax enthusiast community.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
It seems the solenoids for the benefit of better cameras that also have more advanced features and WR construction that have this problem would provide a very welcome service.

I actually have a few old models like this that are in perfect condition, and have been thinking about whether to sell them, give them, or what. One of them- the K200D which is a good camera but it has an excessive battery drain problem, I am thinking of just keeping it due to a repair would likely cost more than its selling price, and it would then be my backup resource in case my secondary lightweight K-S2 should develop the solenoid failure.
Thanks, this is good feed back. It is looking like I will break these down for parts. I just wanted to provide an opportunity for someone to stop me if they had a problem with destroying "vintage" Pentax DSLR cameras that otherwise might be brought back into service. I know there is a "CCD cult" here

~ Jon