Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2021, 02:15 AM   #1

ist DS Memory card error

Hi - I am attempting to use my ist DS after many years of non use but it is not formatting any memory card. It is V2.02 firmware.

I have tried 512mb SD, 2gb SD and 4gb SDHC (and in desperation a 2gb SD micro in adaptor).

On turning on I get memory card error, then if I go through menu option the camera will attempt to format it - ie orange light working for a while (10-30+ seconds) before displaying the same 'Memory card error' message.

What is the best way forward ?
I am thinking that if I could get a 'known to be recognised' card from another user at least in the first instance I could try it in my camera to pinpoint it as a card or camera issue.
If a card issue then I would pursue the search /purchase of other cards to try.

Alternatively any suggestions of reinstalling firmware ? Is it even possible if the camera will not recognise a card ? (I can connect to PC, it recognises the USB device but obviously it currently is unable to 'see/mount' the card)

If you are UK based and happy to assist I could send my sample cards to you for you to check/format in your camera ?

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards
Mal

04-18-2021, 02:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With firmware 2.02, SDHC cards should work. I'd try the following:

-verify that each card works in a different camera and/or your PC

-format the card on your PC and see if it works in camera

-make sure the write lock tab on the side of the card is not engaged (or that the slot doesn't somehow move it)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-18-2021, 02:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Try formatting on your PC using the SD Association formatting tool - SD Memory Card Formatter | SD Association
04-18-2021, 05:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe dust/gunk is the cause. I get a memory card error occassionly with my K5. Cleaning contacts with alcohol plus blowing out the card slot with a blower always helped getting rid of the error.

04-18-2021, 06:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all for your quick replies.

Yes all the cards are functioning correctly.
I have tried reformatting using the sd.org utility but to no avail.
I have now also tested those 3 cards in a Pentax K5-ii and the cards are succesfully recognised and useable (14 raw shots on the 512mb card !) they are also able to be reformatted in the K5.

Retrying the cards in the ist they still fail.

I examined the inside the SD slot with a magnifying glass and it looks pristine, I did also use an electrical contact cleaner.

So ... I'm thinking its only fit for recylce ? Unless anyone has a bright alternative idea ?

Thanks again for your suggestions
04-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mal p Quote
Hi - I am attempting to use my ist DS after many years of non use but it is not formatting any memory card. It is V2.02 firmware.

I have tried 512mb SD, 2gb SD and 4gb SDHC (and in desperation a 2gb SD micro in adaptor).

On turning on I get memory card error, then if I go through menu option the camera will attempt to format it - ie orange light working for a while (10-30+ seconds) before displaying the same 'Memory card error' message.

I am thinking that if I could get a 'known to be recognised' card from another user at least in the first instance I could try it in my camera to pinpoint it as a card or camera issue.

Alternatively any suggestions of reinstalling firmware ? Is it even possible if the camera will not recognise a card ? (I can connect to PC, it recognises the USB device but obviously it currently is unable to 'see/mount' the card)

If you are UK based and happy to assist I could send my sample cards to you for you to check/format in your camera ?

Regards
Mal

I'm as close to the UK as "dammit" (Jersey CI) and have a *ist DS with v2.02 firmware in working order, so if you want/need a double check I'm happy to help … I'll even donate the cost of the return postage for the cards, UK stamps don't work from Jersey
My first/best/only guess would be batteries … I use eneloops exclusively these days in my *ist's and have no problems, but I've read all sorts of horror stories about misbehaving cameras when fitted with "inferior" batteries.
04-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

1. If you connected the camera to the computer did you make sure that the camera is set to MSC and not to PTP. I do not know the *ist DS, but in PTP it does not recognize a mounted SD card correctly. I tried it out with another camera, but if your computer does not recognize that there is memory it will not show your camera as a drive.
2. Did you try a brand new SD card?
3. Did you format the SD card with the right FAT (exFAT)?

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 04-18-2021 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo
04-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My *istDS is very particular about batteries and is only reliable using the CR-V3 lithiums which lasted many months. It didn’t like NiMH batteries at all, and I don’t think rechargeables were recommended for it in any case.
04-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
My *istDS is very particular about batteries and is only reliable using the CR-V3 lithiums which lasted many months. It didn’t like NiMH batteries at all, and I don’t think rechargeables were recommended for it in any case.

On p2 of the user manual : "only the Ni-MH battery can be recharged."
Also p26 in the user manual : "AA Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. These are rechargeable and are economical"
Good quality batteries are not a problem

04-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apologies, my bad. It’s been a long time since I used it and I did try rechargeables once upon a time, but they discharged rapidly. Not eneloops though! 😉
04-18-2021, 06:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine works well with AA Energizers Alkaline. I have a big supply of them I got at hardware store liquidation sale.
04-19-2021, 05:15 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by mal p Quote

Regards
Mal
I can also assist, I'm based in Durham (UK)

I have a fully functional ist DS (firmware 2.02) which is more of less the full time home to my sdm failed DA 16-50 2.8 and (non-P) TLL flashes.

If required I can post a 2Gb card formatted in camera with a couple of test shots for good measure..

PB
04-19-2021, 07:16 AM   #13

Could the firmware be corrupt ? re-install perhaps, link to V2.02 here
04-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #14

If the firmware is corrupted so cards cannot be read there probably isn't a way to refresh the firmware from a card.
04-20-2021, 01:16 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks to all. I am contacting Platinum Blues to try some 'known to be read by ist DS' cards. I will revert back when results are know.