Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

cleaning the focusing screen

about how much does it cost to get it cleaned and wehre woudl i send it to?

03-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can't clean it yourself, most camera stores can do it in their repair department, so take it down to your local store and they should do it for a small (or no) fee.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-09-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you had used the search function and looked for focusing screen, you would have found this thread . . . easy to follow instructions . . . no reason to pay anybody to do it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/1386-cleaning-focusing-screen.html
03-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shadowrulz3164 Quote
Shadow, here is another great source of info.
Cleaning Digital Cameras - Introduction
They don't have an axe to grind and they are very throrough.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O

03-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

DIY

QuoteOriginally posted by shadowrulz3164 Quote
You can try to clean it yourself with great care if you have a *ist D, DSx and K10D which the focusing screen in them are detachable.

For the exact instruction and steps, go to the Pentax Imaging (USA) website, search in the manual archive for the Pentax's first AFSLR (well, not count the ME-F of course) named the SFX, then you can find the detailed instruction there.

Do remember to handle with great care. The procedures are not quite difficult, though.

After you can detach the screen, you can clean it with a air-blower and micro-fibre cloth etc. as you like. The screen is made of soft plastic, so, cleaning it gently only!
03-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Shadow, here is another great source of info.
Cleaning Digital Cameras - Introduction
They don't have an axe to grind and they are very throrough.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O
Did not realize that, by suggesting to a new member, or any member, that they use the search function would be interpreted as "having an axe to grind".

Regardless of the forum, the search function is a valuable tool that can save a lot of time and bandwidth.

Again, Shadow, assuming that you have correctly stated your problem, I would suggest you visit the link I provided . . . cleaning the focusing screen is a very easy task. If, as the link that nacl has provided, you are, instead, looking at a sensor issue, that is a whole different situation and, fortunately, I have not yet had to face that decision . . . lots of opinions . . . I would probably opt to put the problem in tyhe hands of my local Pebax authorized camera store and put the potential liability in their hands.
03-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by rprii Quote
Did not realize that, by suggesting to a new member, or any member, that they use the search function would be interpreted as "having an axe to grind".

Regardless of the forum, ..........
I did not interpret that remark as being directed at your advice, rather that many advisers, reviewers and commentators are often biased in their opinions.

03-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote
I did not interpret that remark as being directed at your advice, rather that many advisers, reviewers and commentators are often biased in their opinions.
Another set of eyes always helps . . . in re-reading the remark, you are probably correct . . . thanks.
Late night reads & responses are often foolish . . .
03-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rprii Quote

Regardless of the forum, the search function is a valuable tool that can save a lot of time and bandwidth.

Again, Shadow, assuming that you have correctly stated your problem, I would suggest you visit the link I provided . . . cleaning the focusing screen is a very easy task. If, as the link that nacl has provided, you are, instead, looking at a sensor issue, that is a whole different situation and, fortunately, I have not yet had to face that decision . . . lots of opinions . . . I would probably opt to put the problem in tyhe hands of my local Pebax authorized camera store and put the potential liability in their hands.
Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. It was not my intention to imply that you, or the link you provided, had an axe to grind. It's just that there are lots of places that do, and the link I provided isn't one of them. Also I didn't read that carefully and saw "sensor" not "focusing screen". My bad

NaCl(sometimes you see what you want to see)H2O