Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 11:25 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
Wonderful pictures, congratulations to the obviously successful conversion.
Thank you. 😊

01-25-2022, 03:18 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice re-engineering...

Perhaps stupid question, but anyone knows if one uses the 'in camera’ digital filter Black&White , would this keep the first steps of colour processing demosaicing etc and just recalc afterwards the graytones from the colour pictures, or would it start somehow from the raw file skipping certain colour steps ..? There could (should!?) be an advantage over postprocessing in pp on a computer if the camera would do it smarter...
But I guess it produces still rgb based colour files and not true BW files.
01-26-2022, 10:56 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Nice re-engineering...

Perhaps stupid question, but anyone knows if one uses the 'in camera’ digital filter Black&White , would this keep the first steps of colour processing demosaicing etc and just recalc afterwards the graytones from the colour pictures, or would it start somehow from the raw file skipping certain colour steps ..? There could (should!?) be an advantage over postprocessing in pp on a computer if the camera would do it smarter...
But I guess it produces still rgb based colour files and not true BW files.
Shooting RAW with monochrome converted camera (even using Black White preset) produces data file that is interpreted by (let say) Lightroom/Photoshop RAW converter as normal color file. The embeded JPEG preview is monochromatic, but RAW converter makes this file looking redish and applies demosaicing algorithm after import. If you want "real" monochromatic BW picture with better details, you should convert DNG file in Monochrome2DNG converter, then import it - demosaicing in LR/PS is skipped and picture looks only BW.
01-27-2022, 09:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

This might be a stupid question, but I did a google search and did not find anything.

What happens if you use the Monochrome2DNG converter in a non-converted camera, and then convert the file to monochrome? You're basically skipping the demosaicing algorithm, does that make the black and white files any better?

I doubt they would look as good as the files Medex is getting, though... those are stunning, I'm very jealous...

01-27-2022, 10:22 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
This might be a stupid question, but I did a google search and did not find anything.

What happens if you use the Monochrome2DNG converter in a non-converted camera, and then convert the file to monochrome? You're basically skipping the demosaicing algorithm, does that make the black and white files any better?

I doubt they would look as good as the files Medex is getting, though... those are stunning, I'm very jealous...
If the picture is shot with normal color camera, Monochrome2DNG converter detects Bayer mosaic pattern and convert file to monochrome that has pixel pattern. There is mode "supress mosaic pattern", you can check it or uncheck, the result is slightly different, but pixelated pattern is still there.
Attached Images

01-27-2022, 10:38 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
If the picture is shot with normal color camera, Monochrome2DNG converter detects Bayer mosaic pattern and convert file to monochrome that has pixel pattern. There is mode "supress mosaic pattern", you can check it or uncheck, the result is slightly different, but pixelated pattern is still there.
They are quite different, I think... I like the one in the left better (whichever one that is...)

But I agree that it could be done in PP, as the definition is the same. Your camera with the Bayern filter removed has a lot more definition. I'd love to have one... will you make more of them?
01-27-2022, 01:33 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
They are quite different, I think... I like the one in the left better (whichever one that is...)

But I agree that it could be done in PP, as the definition is the same. Your camera with the Bayern filter removed has a lot more definition. I'd love to have one... will you make more of them?
The left picture is normal color picture shot with K-1, just converted to BW in Lightroom. The right one is same picture converted in Monochrome2DNG converter. But as I said, this is not right file for converter. Therefore you can see mosaic pattern.
In case of monochromatic file this mosaic pattern is not visible.