Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2021, 10:25 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K1ii gets standard zoom, wide angles for landscapes, short telephoto for portraiture and macro lenses for, eh... macros

K-70 gets the long tele lenses for wildlife

K-01 full-spectrum converted gets specific compatable ultra-wide to standard zoom lenses for false color landscapes.

04-23-2021, 01:34 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RazzleBas Quote
Wondering how many here utilize specific bodies for specific purposes as opposed to those that stick to one. I have 4 Pentax bodies, to each their own seasoning.
Much the same here. My K-5 wears my Tamron 18-200mm almost permanently. It's in a carrying case with a polarizer, a spare battery and a cable release and is my "grab & go" rig.
My KP is almost invariably used with my Sigma 150-500mm for 'birding' and general wildlife. It was bought as an a/f upgrade to my K-70 and works well in that role, possibly even more so with the latest firmware update, but that's a difficult thing to be sure about.
My K-70 is (mostly) relegated to 'astro' and 'wildlife macro' … two aspects of the hobby where I find the fully articulated screen extremely useful. With age, not having to twist and bend myself to frame a subject can be very helpful
The unmodified *istDL2 is my i/r body. The digital preview is very useful in this role and I find it achieves a white balance with the filter fitted somewhat more readily than my *istDS, which usually has an M42-PK adaptor fitted, for that 'retro experience'.
When the K-3iii arrives it'll take over from the KP in the telephoto-wildlife role. The KP will probably get a small grip fitted and be used as a semi-compact 'street' camera, not an aspect of the hobby I've spent much time with recently.
Which leaves the yet-to-arrive K-01. I've always appreciated the styling of this model and I've long since yearned after a 40mm 'pancake'. When the pairing presented themselves on eBay recently at a price I considered reasonable I treated myself

Last edited by kypfer; 04-23-2021 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Punctuation
04-23-2021, 04:37 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When i shot film, at the onset I used different bodies for different film types, color vs B&W or different iso, one slow for normal to wide and one fast for telephoto, etc.

When I transitioned to digital, at the onset, I shot the 18-35 that came with my *istD on my PZ1 because the field of view offered on full frame was attractive, and I used my FA 28-105 on the *istD. This was a very dedicated pairing until I got the sigma APO 10-20/4-5.6 DC and stopped shooting film regularly.

When I switched to shooting the K10 and *istD as a pair, and replaced the FA28-105 with the tamron 28-75/2.8 I found the Tammy did not focus well on the *istD, it’s behaviour was odd but very conisitant, it’s second last focus adjustment was spot on, then the focus would shift off focus when the shutter tripped, so my 2 lens 2 body travel kit was the sigma 10-20 on the *istD and the 28-75 on the K10. As I progressed through aAPSC bodies after the K10, I generally reverted back to the same logic I used with film. The better high iso performer was always paired with the longer lens, on the basis that longer lenses are generally slower (smaller aperture) and required higher shutter speed for sharp images.

Generally today I still do that.
04-23-2021, 05:50 AM   #19
dlhawes

Architecture / Real Estate: K-1, 5DS-R*
Astrophotography: K-1
Birds, nature, & Wildlife: Any
Birds in Flight / Motion: KP
Candid / Street: KP, 5DS-R
Landscape / cityscape: K-1, 5DS-R
Macro / Flowers & Plants / Product: K-1, 5DS-R
Standard / Children and Pets: KP if they're moving, otherwise, K-1

* Canon 5DS-R, medium format in a DSLR package

Last edited by dlhawes; 04-23-2021 at 05:57 AM.
04-23-2021, 09:58 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Following the death of my *istDL from an irreplaceable parts breakdown, my K-5 was bought as a medical photography rig along with a 35/2.8 Limited Macro (because I found the field of view of my DFA 100/2.8 WR too restrictive for some contexts). Awesome combination. It lives in my filing cabinet at work. For overseas family holidays it changes over to a DA 18-135 zoom, but that virus put the damper on that since March last year.
04-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I put sigma 18-250 on ks2 and sigma 135-400 on k3