Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2021, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
This is an interesting conversation, thank you all. For me, my current equipment (K-1, K-3, K-5) already offers a lot more than how I perform myself as a photographer - or, to be more exact: pure amateur, hobbyist. So most of you other guys are like veterans compared to me, and therefore will probably be able to truly benefit the improvements coming with e.g. K-3 Mk III.

On the other hand, it must depend a lot on what kind of shooting you're up to. For wildlife, all improvements in AF are naturally welcome and apperently also better high ISO performance. (For most of my photography, however, the ISO performance of K-1 is already good enough.)

Yet another point of view: I would also like K-3 Mk III to come available soon. But I probably would not buy it right away. I might wait for the release of Mk IV in order to get Mk III second hand. And yes, I keep shooting also APS-C, although I love my K-1 somewhat more.
First I throughly enjoyed your response. We are very similar I will caution you about waiting for a deal, the k3ii was discontinued and not available new obviously as the K3iii is now shipping. If you want the K3iii pick it up in the next year or two when the price drops.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My usual response for "help me spend my money" threads on this site is to ask, "Where are your pain points with your current kit?" For some, it is simply a matter of finger prints, time, and the absence of new-from-the-factory smell. For others, it is the desire for gear to "take me to the next level". Those folk aside, sometimes it is less noise for something like astro work or replacement of aging/high mileage gear, or larger format or more mega-pickles for a mural project or better AF or any number of things.

Coming back around to the K-3/K-3II observation, I have found it to generally be true. If my K-3 were to quit today, I would likely be looking for a low-mileage K-3II to take its place over the K-3iii, mostly because I have very few "pain points" with my current camera and am intrigued by pixel shift and in-camera astro-tracer. I am also not rich enough to buy the MK III at current pricing. Of course, there is also the matter of gear saturation. I have a surplus of film cameras that are not being exercised enough and am not shooting enough in general to justify additional hardware outlay.

Steve
I apologize if this came across as a “Help me spend my money” post, My better half would argue that has never been my problem lol...But I do struggle with the what if’s and best bang for the buck with every major purchase. And I’m glad you mentioned picking up a K3II if your K3 died because I can potentially pick up a K3II now significantly cheaper until the K3iii start showing up used. Honestly if you look at my usage my current gear is fine with no “pain points” and I hate putting numbers on things but I’d say I’m good for 90-95% of what I like to shoot. Usually I have a plan when I pack up and head out to take pictures but there have been a few times I missed some great opportunities because of the gear I had on hand. I will say one of the things I love about photography is I can get it done with gear older than I am with the only limitations being my imagination.

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
It's an interesting question, will better gear make you a better photographer, or secondarily help you make better images (they are slightly different things...).

In my case, every gear upgrade I've ever done back to the '70's also made me better at photography, and in a number of instances helped me make much better images. Have hit a bit of a plateau in my personal work, but forging ahead in my pro work.
Even with my current setup I’m continually learning. I look at upgrading so to speak because I love learning new things and techniques...

JJ

04-23-2021, 10:52 AM - 3 Likes   #17
LSR

I totally get what the OP is driving at.

Sometimes we have so many options and end up doing nothing because of it.

I was getting that way MANY years ago. So I decided to focus my photography acquisition attention on DA* glass, being the best weather sealed tubes filled with glass I could find. Now looking back I'm glad I did, passing over many of the new bodies and FF which I would have bought but totally didn't need to fulfill my likes (and skill) in photography.

Still I can't believe I had the discipline to wait over a decade for the DA* 11-18 to be released (originally supposed to be DA* 11-16 I was told, cancelled, on again, on hold, changed to 11-18).

Sometimes I wonder if I missed out or would have enjoyed more variety if I'd have bought various lens sets or moved to FF, but I have a feeling resisting all that kept me more focused on shooting what I like with what I had.
04-23-2021, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I apologize if this came across as a “Help me spend my money” post
Ha! Ha! You didn't. Please forgive the wording that made it sound that way.

Steve
04-23-2021, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LSR Quote
I totally get what the OP is driving at.

Sometimes we have so many options and end up doing nothing because of it.

I was getting that way MANY years ago. So I decided to focus my photography acquisition attention on DA* glass, being the best weather sealed tubes filled with glass I could find. Now looking back I'm glad I did, passing over many of the new bodies and FF which I would have bought but totally didn't need to fulfill my likes (and skill) in photography.

Still I can't believe I had the discipline to wait over a decade for the DA* 11-18 to be released (originally supposed to be DA* 11-16 I was told, cancelled, on again, on hold, changed to 11-18).

Sometimes I wonder if I missed out or would have enjoyed more variety if I'd have bought various lens sets or moved to FF, but I have a feeling resisting all that kept me more focused on shooting what I like with what I had.
It’s called paralysis from analysis and it sucks. And LBA is a whole different can of worms smh...

JJ

04-23-2021, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

New gear will always change things. It may allow for photos which were impossible before. It may help realizing that using money on new hardware does not change the output or process in any way. Thus, in the end one stops buying new hardware and does not ask the question at all. I would buy the new camera but instead of new one I would find a used one. Enough of electronic waste already. Future generations need the resources more than we do anyway.
04-23-2021, 11:19 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
It's an interesting question, will better gear make you a better photographer, or secondarily help you make better images (they are slightly different things...).
The former...often the case. The later...sometimes.

My first "upgrade" was from an Agfa snapshot camera that took 126 cartridges to a Yashica Lynx 1000 rangefinder. The camera forced the issue and a better photographer, both technically and creatively, I became. I also get better images in the bargain. Subsequent upgrades have been more subtle and nuanced in their impact with the possible exception of the Ricoh XR7 in 1982. That one was a game changer. I have a different Lynx 1000 currently and I can do the same quality work with it as with my K-3, within limits of subject and tools, but cannot approach the same creative goals with both, the Lynx being fixed lens and all. I also have an XR7 that can do almost everything I do with the K-3...go figure, eh?

Steve
04-23-2021, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #22

One difference I've been feeling with literally every camera upgrade was handling. I'm using KP now (after K-30) and the third dial programmed for ISO has been (personally for me) a bigger change than AF performance (and I mostly shoot action). So to me, gear does matter.

04-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery
Lol that’s a whole different discussion for me due to the fact we might see an updated 645 in the next couple years, I’m in no hurry obviously due to price but man the Hassy X1DII is quite tempting....

JJ
I got mine for less than a new K3iii. The CCD sensor has a lovely quality to the images. I doubt any new 645 would have a ccd sensor, so I'm quite happy with the 'oldie'.
04-23-2021, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A better tool can be just the thing, if it is appropriate for the jobs being done. For those often using burst shooting and/or AF tracking of moving subjects, and also those liking a K-3 II style of camera yet needing a major upgrade in high ISO performance, and need very high imaging quality, the new K-3 III certainly will have the potential to allow them to become better photographers.

For those with an older model DSLR who do not often shoot in bursts or need top-notch AF tracking of moving subjects, but do often need the lightest, most compact carrying in a high-quality body with exceptionally fine ISO performance and very good AF, who sometimes will shoot from high positions, or shoot from waist-level positions on tripod or lower, and those who sometimes make use of a built-in flash, and who need very high imaging quality, including with JPEG images right out of the camera, the KP has the potential to allow them to become better photographers.

There really is no conflict of interest or redundancy between FF and APS-C these days, since quality of the latter has risen to the level it has. APS-C offers advantages for lighter, more compact carrying and with smaller high-quality lenses, and for speed shooting with series of numerous shots and lower file sizes, yet with an extremely high quality level, along with longer "reach" with lenses of less weight, size, and expense. A FF body on the other hand, such as the K-1 II, can afford a very excellent level of performance at high ISO, a larger VF, and superior image quality with a longer lens providing the same framing as a shorter lens on APS-C. With shorter lenses, yet longer than would be the case with APS-C, the superior image quality afforded by the 36 MP while still within a practical degree of convenience for carrying, can be an advantageous choice in the case of many situations. For example, I can get a somewhat higher level of image quality with say my Tokina 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 Pro II on my K-1 II, compared to my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 on my KP (but it is indeed close) while still keeping carrying and handling weight reasonable. Even more true with high-quality slower FF lenses, which are lighter. It can also provide a major advantage in the use of some very highly-regarded FF lenses yielding their full FOV.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-23-2021 at 08:00 PM.
04-23-2021, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I guess I can’t understand from a tech standpoint why for example my K1MKii ended up with the fps and buffer specs that it did? I mean I wasn’t expecting 12fps but my K5iis has 7FPS so I would’ve thought the K1MKii would’ve had at least that.. I mean I know it’s apples to oranges but the Canon 1DX MKIII is 16fps just saying...

JJ
Keep in mind the 1DX Mark III is a 20 megapixel camera with an MSRP of $6500. The K-1 Mk ii processes 36 MP images and has an MSRP of $2000. They are two very different cameras.
04-23-2021, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always ask myself what situation has my current gear limited me in doing what I wanted to do. So far the answer has always been none.
04-23-2021, 07:56 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I always ask myself what situation has my current gear limited me in doing what I wanted to do. So far the answer has always been none.
Good answer! If none of the more recent advancements bring enough that are useful to your particular needs, why not keep going with what you have as it is satisfying those needs.
04-23-2021, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

I had a right shoulder replacement in October, 2020. For that month and November '20 I could not really hold a camera and operate it well. By late Decemeber '20 my range and strength improved somewhat to the point that I was able to use my small, light Canon G 12 and Ricoh GR ll.

By February I was able to use my K5 and by March '21 was able to use my K1, with battery grip. Now I'm at the stage of being able to take my K5, with the heavy Sigma 150-500 attached...for limited periods.

Surgery recovery can be frustrating, particularly when you are restricted from doing the things you love.

All the best and my hopes to you for a fast and successful recovery.
04-24-2021, 01:30 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
A better tool can be just the thing, if it is appropriate for the jobs being done. For those often using burst shooting and/or AF tracking of moving subjects, and also those liking a K-3 II style of camera yet needing a major upgrade in high ISO performance, and need very high imaging quality, the new K-3 III certainly will have the potential to allow them to become better photographers.
"potential to allow to become better" seems a very safe thing to say. I'm pretty sure new AF would give me more keepers, and make me feel better about myself, not sure if that's what I need to get better at anything
04-24-2021, 07:41 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Keep in mind the 1DX Mark III is a 20 megapixel camera with an MSRP of $6500. The K-1 Mk ii processes 36 MP images and has an MSRP of $2000. They are two very different cameras.
Yes, I was just showing an example that a FF can have a decent burst rate and even at 6500 bucks I was surprised it’s still 20mp...

JJ