Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2021, 09:33 AM   #31
LSR

QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
One difference I've been feeling with literally every camera upgrade was handling. I'm using KP now (after K-30) and the third dial programmed for ISO has been (personally for me) a bigger change than AF performance (and I mostly shoot action). So to me, gear does matter.
That is a good point, and an area where Pentax has always excelled at.

04-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Enough was enough and I broke down and bought a K-3 III from Amazon. I'm surprised I held out this long. I put it in the cart and there were 9 left, I was going to wait a few more hours. A few minutes later there were 8 left and I hit checkout...
04-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Enough was enough and I broke down and bought a K-3 III from Amazon. I'm surprised I held out this long. I put it in the cart and there were 9 left, I was going to wait a few more hours. A few minutes later there were 8 left and I hit checkout...
I’m having issues with the price point of the K3iii and Amazon is higher than everyone else body only...

JJ
04-24-2021, 10:11 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I’m having issues with the price point of the K3iii and Amazon is higher than everyone else body only...

JJ
Same price as B&H and Adorama. B&H won't let you buy it online yet and Adorama wants $17 for 3-5 day shipping.

04-24-2021, 10:15 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Same price as B&H and Adorama. B&H won't let you buy it online yet and Adorama wants $17 for 3-5 day shipping.
Actually you are correct, I just checked apparently they dropped it from the 2196 body only that was available before...

JJ
04-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote

JJ
Amazon may include some smaller vendors, who because of their sales volumes don't get the purchasing discounts that the big boys do (a perennial problem the industry has had for decades---part of the reason mom-and pop b&m stores have been folding). Some of those vendors on Amazon sniff out scarcity and demand and price gouge.

Finally, Amazon I think takes a cut from vendors, including Adorama which sells through the site, so the prices may inflate for that reason. You'll notice B&H does not sell through Amazon....

Amazon is not always the best place to buy for multiple reasons....
04-24-2021, 10:50 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Amazon may include some smaller vendors, who because of their sales volumes don't get the purchasing discounts that the big boys do (a perennial problem the industry has had for decades---part of the reason mom-and pop b&m stores have been folding). Some of those vendors on Amazon sniff out scarcity and demand and price gouge.

Finally, Amazon I think takes a cut from vendors, including Adorama which sells through the site, so the prices may inflate for that reason. You'll notice B&H does not sell through Amazon....

Amazon is not always the best place to buy for multiple reasons....
B&H and Adorama do sell through eBay, as does Roberts. I've noticed that Roberts tacks on eBay fees to their price, so when I bought my DA 1.4x TC from them I bought it from their site, even though it was an eBay saved search that brought it to my attention.

04-24-2021, 12:53 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Limited and DA* glass has brought more to the table than any body I've upgraded to.

That said the K3iii AF improvements for family shooting (with the Face / Eye AF) as well as tracking for BIF would improve my output I think as that is 75% of my shooting.

I think I'll wait this one out a little more.
04-24-2021, 02:46 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H and Adorama do sell through eBay, as does Roberts. I've noticed that Roberts tacks on eBay fees to their price, so when I bought my DA 1.4x TC from them I bought it from their site, even though it was an eBay saved search that brought it to my attention.
Are you sure B&H sells through Amazon?
04-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Are you sure B&H sells through Amazon?
Not Amazon, eBay.
04-25-2021, 08:18 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

Not Amazon, eBay.
Ah, mis-read. Thanks. Interesting about EBay. Will check that out....
04-25-2021, 08:26 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Thats really Odd. Last week I picked up a used Lens from Roberts that I saw listed on Ebay first. I went to Roberts "usedphotopro.com" site and ordered the lens there so I could use my reward points and their "luckyseven" discount code . I ended up saving $60. No ebay fees added.

al
04-26-2021, 12:07 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Back in the last century, the product life cycle for cameras was 3 - 5 years. The Pentax K-1000 was in production for 19 years! I believe it is still a record.

After electronics companies, like Sony, got into the camera business, they brought their six month product life cycle with them. Now camera makers feel compelled to release a "new" model every six months, even if the changes are minimal.

So, I agree that, if you can't get the picture you want with the camera you have, it is probably not the camera's fault.
04-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Back in the last century, the product life cycle for cameras was 3 - 5 years. The Pentax K-1000 was in production for 19 years! I believe it is still a record.

After electronics companies, like Sony, got into the camera business, they brought their six month product life cycle with them. Now camera makers feel compelled to release a "new" model every six months, even if the changes are minimal.

So, I agree that, if you can't get the picture you want with the camera you have, it is probably not the camera's fault.
The K1000 was in production from 1976-1997, 21 years. Something like 3 million cameras.

The Argus C3 was produced from 1939-1941 then 1945-1966, 24 years. Something like 2 million cameras.

But the production champ has to be the plastic Holga 120/120n. Something like 37 years.
04-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll upgrade my K5 to the K3III using the DA300 in the field. On my other hip will be the K3II with an FA100 f2.8 macro and ring flash. The K5, built like a hammer, is still quite good and delivers dreamy film-like images, but does lack cropping and focus confidence. Honestly the K5 images are very pleasing and it will still see use, I think, in places like structured gardens etc.
I look forward to the upgrade, I know the DA300 performs much better on the K3II than the K5 - probably just focus capacity alone.