Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2021, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Enough is enough

Mostly because I have nothing but time on my hands for the next few weeks, I’ve been reading and researching due to the recent release of the K3iii. I heard a reviewer talking about equipment and basically said if you couldn’t get the job done with a K3 or K3II it’s not an equipment issue.now I think the K3iii is a needed upgrade for the company a long time coming. However I’ve been going thru my gear cleaning and updating firmware etc and realizing if I can’t get it done with what I have maybe I should find another hobby lol...Now I’m saying all this from the perspective of someone that doesn’t take pictures for a living but just enjoys getting out and taking pictures.
Which brings me to the point of the post. I’ve been focusing on FF with my K1MKii and my K5iis has seen little use. I’ve also picked up all the stuff needed to develop film at home and digitize it. So I have several film bodies back in the rotation basically causing me to be at a saturation point in the hobby that leaves me feeling overwhelmed and frustrated of which I know new equipment isn’t gonna fix but more than likely just add fuel to the fire. So maybe I’ll pick up a couple lenses I’ve been wanting to curb the “shiny new” itch... It also doesn’t help I’m cooped up from surgery and can’t get out.

JJ

04-23-2021, 07:44 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm sorry to hear you're inside recovering from surgery. Hopefully your recover is quick.

Normally I'd suggest just going out and taking pictures and not to worry about your gear, but it doesn't sound like this is possible at the moment. While I've been closely watching the development of the mk iii with fascination, I'll be watching the development of the next FF even closer, as many features will trickle down to other cameras. I also shoot a lot of film too. We're lucky to be able to have so many choices with our equipment and what we shoot with. You have a very capable camera in the K-1. Enjoy your hobby.
04-23-2021, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would probably agree that in most cases if you couldn't do it with a K-3 or K-3ii then the K-3iii won't help, however there are some edge cases where it would likely offer a benefit over what is available. Here I am looking at its low light high ISO performance with the BSI sensor which should offer fairly substantial improvements for astrophotography over the K-3 or K-3ii. However that is one area of photography where throwing gear at the problem is very often a correct solution.
04-23-2021, 08:10 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Forum Member

The BSI is one fairly solid improvement, another is AF. While even my K1 is usable for wildlife, the skill floor drops substantially if tracking and CAF can be improved. You do lose a few features, but you gain a few as well. As with any flagship, the appeal really shouldn’t be there for the average guy, Pareto’s rule says you can get 80% of the features for 20% of the cost, which is born out in used K-3’s etc. It’s really there for the power users and pros, for whom those marginal gains will make their workflow so much easier.

04-23-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I'm sorry to hear you're inside recovering from surgery. Hopefully your recover is quick.

Normally I'd suggest just going out and taking pictures and not to worry about your gear, but it doesn't sound like this is possible at the moment. While I've been closely watching the development of the mk iii with fascination, I'll be watching the development of the next FF even closer, as many features will trickle down to other cameras. I also shoot a lot of film too. We're lucky to be able to have so many choices with our equipment and what we shoot with. You have a very capable camera in the K-1. Enjoy your hobby.
Thank you,
I won’t bore you with the details but the short version had surgery back in November, the repair didn’t take so last week they had to repair the repair. Unfortunately it’s let me without the use of my right arm for about 6 weeks so no clicky clicky. I’m also watching for the next FF but medium format has caught my eye as possibly the next purchase.

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I would probably agree that in most cases if you couldn't do it with a K-3 or K-3ii then the K-3iii won't help, however there are some edge cases where it would likely offer a benefit over what is available. Here I am looking at its low light high ISO performance with the BSI sensor which should offer fairly substantial improvements for astrophotography over the K-3 or K-3ii. However that is one area of photography where throwing gear at the problem is very often a correct solution.
I guess I can’t understand from a tech standpoint why for example my K1MKii ended up with the fps and buffer specs that it did? I mean I wasn’t expecting 12fps but my K5iis has 7FPS so I would’ve thought the K1MKii would’ve had at least that.. I mean I know it’s apples to oranges but the Canon 1DX MKIII is 16fps just saying...

JJ
04-23-2021, 08:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Mostly because I have nothing but time on my hands for the next few weeks, I’ve been reading and researching due to the recent release of the K3iii. I heard a reviewer talking about equipment and basically said if you couldn’t get the job done with a K3 or K3II it’s not an equipment issue.now I think the K3iii is a needed upgrade for the company a long time coming. However I’ve been going thru my gear cleaning and updating firmware etc and realizing if I can’t get it done with what I have maybe I should find another hobby lol...Now I’m saying all this from the perspective of someone that doesn’t take pictures for a living but just enjoys getting out and taking pictures.
Which brings me to the point of the post. I’ve been focusing on FF with my K1MKii and my K5iis has seen little use. I’ve also picked up all the stuff needed to develop film at home and digitize it. So I have several film bodies back in the rotation basically causing me to be at a saturation point in the hobby that leaves me feeling overwhelmed and frustrated of which I know new equipment isn’t gonna fix but more than likely just add fuel to the fire. So maybe I’ll pick up a couple lenses I’ve been wanting to curb the “shiny new” itch... It also doesn’t help I’m cooped up from surgery and can’t get out.

JJ
JJ,
Probably for you given your recent posts on the subject I would say just wait.. whats the rush anyhow.If you are so conflicted and caught up in the should I or shouldn't I camp... you probably shouldn't.

My case is different. I have the k3 mark 1 and though I really like it and have enjoyed it.. I have been ready for a LOOONGGGG time for an upgraded k-3.This camera on paper has everything I want...Im dying to .get mine and take it out with the DFA 150-450 for wildlife..

However, I get were you are..I was there with the k1...I eventually did get one.. but used and am quite happy with it .

Good luck and speedy recovery.
Al
04-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
JJ,
Probably for you given your recent posts on the subject I would say just wait.. whats the rush anyhow.If you are so conflicted and caught up in the should I or shouldn't I camp... you probably shouldn't.

My case is deferent. I have the k3 mark 1 and tjough I really like it and have enjoyed it.. I have been ready for a LOOONGGGG time for an upgraded k-3.This camera on paper has everything I want...Im dying to .get mine and take it out with the DFA 150-450 for wildlife..

However, I get were you are..I was there with the k1...I eventually did get one.. but used and am quite happy with it .

Good luck and speedy recovery.
Al
I agree and I’m not trying to make it sound like it’s agonizing, Human nature is latest and greatest. And honestly I’ve throttled back a lot over the years. I bought a used K7 used it to get familiar with digital, I did get a K5 to have 2 bodies then a K5iis. Passed on both the K3 and K3II because at the time I didn’t see enough of a difference to justify it. And I wanted to go FF and even then waited until the K1MKii came out. I’m only debating the K3iii because the K5iis will be passed down to my daughter and I still like having 2 bodies that aren’t redundant...

JJ

04-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #8
Forum Member

I have also been following the development of the K3-III with interest.
Since I mostly do wildlife photography, I was getting desperate with the slow focus of my Pentax K5-II and Pentax K-1 and I was seriously considering buying a Nikon D-500 and a Tamron 150- 600, for fauna. I have followed the focus and color improvements of the K3-III that colleagues from the Pentaxeros.com forum tell me, who are testing it and I have stopped short in my desire for another camera.
I have taken good photographs of fauna, with the cameras I have, so after reading JerryLeejr's comment, you ask yourself that, if I can't do it with what I have, maybe I should dedicate myself to collecting stamps
It is good for the brand, to improve the cameras and lenses and to offer its fans and new customers substantial improvements over what they have, but I do not live from photography is just a hobby.
Better to wait for the ones I have to die and then I will contemplate the acquisition of another camera.

jerryleejr, I hope your health problems will be fixed soon.
Greetings
04-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #9

Thank you,
I won’t bore you with the details but the short version had surgery back in November, the repair didn’t take so last week they had to repair the repair. Unfortunately it’s let me without the use of my right arm for about 6 weeks so no clicky clicky. I’m also watching for the next FF but medium format has caught my eye as possibly the next purchase.

I guess I can’t understand from a tech standpoint why for example my K1MKii ended up with the fps and buffer specs that it did? I mean I wasn’t expecting 12fps but my K5iis has 7FPS so I would’ve thought the K1MKii would’ve had at least that.. I mean I know it’s apples to oranges but the Canon 1DX MKIII is 16fps just saying...

JJ
I had a 645D and sold it when I needed the money for my business. I finally made back enough to buy another one. I'd highly recommend it. Just looking through the viewfinder is charming... the sound of the shutter? awesome! And the pictures? They will re-ignite you. Good luck with your healing.
04-23-2021, 08:39 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bleeblee Quote
I had a 645D and sold it when I needed the money for my business. I finally made back enough to buy another one. I'd highly recommend it. Just looking through the viewfinder is charming... the sound of the shutter? awesome! And the pictures? They will re-ignite you. Good luck with your healing.
Lol that’s a whole different discussion for me due to the fact we might see an updated 645 in the next couple years, I’m in no hurry obviously due to price but man the Hassy X1DII is quite tempting....

JJ
04-23-2021, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #11
5ks
Pentaxian

This is an interesting conversation, thank you all. For me, my current equipment (K-1, K-3, K-5) already offers a lot more than how I perform myself as a photographer - or, to be more exact: pure amateur, hobbyist. So most of you other guys are like veterans compared to me, and therefore will probably be able to truly benefit the improvements coming with e.g. K-3 Mk III.

On the other hand, it must depend a lot on what kind of shooting you're up to. For wildlife, all improvements in AF are naturally welcome and apperently also better high ISO performance. (For most of my photography, however, the ISO performance of K-1 is already good enough.)

Yet another point of view: I would also like K-3 Mk III to come available soon. But I probably would not buy it right away. I might wait for the release of Mk IV in order to get Mk III second hand. And yes, I keep shooting also APS-C, although I love my K-1 somewhat more.
04-23-2021, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I heard a reviewer talking about equipment and basically said if you couldn’t get the job done with a K3 or K3II it’s not an equipment issue.
Edit: The first sentence below makes it sound like Jerry is asking for purchase advice. I did not take his post that way. Sorry for the unintended insinuation.

My usual response for "help me spend my money" threads on this site is to ask, "Where are your pain points with your current kit?" For some, it is simply a matter of finger prints, time, and the absence of new-from-the-factory smell. For others, it is the desire for gear to "take me to the next level". Those folk aside, sometimes it is less noise for something like astro work or replacement of aging/high mileage gear, or larger format or more mega-pickles for a mural project or better AF or any number of things.

Coming back around to the K-3/K-3II observation, I have found it to generally be true. If my K-3 were to quit today, I would likely be looking for a low-mileage K-3II to take its place over the K-3iii, mostly because I have very few "pain points" with my current camera and am intrigued by pixel shift and in-camera astro-tracer. I am also not rich enough to buy the MK III at current pricing. Of course, there is also the matter of gear saturation. I have a surplus of film cameras that are not being exercised enough and am not shooting enough in general to justify additional hardware outlay.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-23-2021 at 11:09 AM.
04-23-2021, 09:51 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been providing 24/7 care for my 98 year old grandmother for the last year. The only upside is that I've been getting paid to do this since January. I've used my K-3 & 150-450 twice in the last year. I'll be buying a K-3 III regardless, and somebody is going to have to came stay with my grandmother once in a while so I can actually use it...
04-23-2021, 09:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, if the mk3 does not improve on mk2, it is perhaps true that mk3 will not change anything.

Mk3 won't change anything at lens front - it does not conjure fast focusing super telephotos out of thin air. If the mk3 is a speed demon among speed lemons (old lenses) nothing really changes.
04-23-2021, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's an interesting question, will better gear make you a better photographer, or secondarily help you make better images (they are slightly different things...).

In my case, every gear upgrade I've ever done back to the '70's also made me better at photography, and in a number of instances helped me make much better images. Have hit a bit of a plateau in my personal work, but forging ahead in my pro work.