Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2021, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K50 for sale in Canada?

Hi there. Does anyone know if a retailer is selling K-50 bodies in Canada?

I see them in flea-Bay or Amazon. But wondering if a retail store still has one squirreled away?

Going to be used as a backup body or given to one of my kids who is showing more interest in photography. I like this body because I use rechargeable Eneloops with the AA battery adapter.

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta if that helps.

TIA.

04-23-2021, 04:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck with your search but since the K-50 was discontinued about 5 or more years ago I think you might struggle to find a new one, unless a shop really does have one that they've completely forgotten about sitting on a shelf out the back. Ebay might be your only chance but I'd probably look for a K-70 to be honest. I had two K-50's and it's a good camera but they both developed the aperture block problem and I think the K-70 is much more reliable in that regard.
04-23-2021, 05:01 PM   #3

Just seen one on Kijiji Edmonton. Nice to see another Edmontonian in here!
04-23-2021, 05:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have one for sale here on marketplace. 6000 ish actuations and well taken care of. Solenoid has been replaced as well with the white japanese type so there's a bonus.

04-23-2021, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by STARHUNTER94 Quote
I have one for sale here on marketplace. 6000 ish actuations and well taken care of. Solenoid has been replaced as well with the white japanese type so there's a bonus.
Thanks, will look.
04-23-2021, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

And the solenoid is indeed a real bonus!
04-23-2021, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-70 is a worthy successor...

04-24-2021, 04:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote

I see them in flea-Bay or Amazon. But wondering if a retail store still has one squirreled away?

Going to be used as a backup body or given to one of my kids who is showing more interest in photography. I like this body because I use rechargeable Eneloops with the AA battery adapter.

TIA.
Next option rather than K-50, look at the K-70!

Pentax K-70 - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
04-24-2021, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

TIA.
There’s a used one in the marketplace located in Canada that has had the solenoid replaced, that makes it highly unlikely to have the aperture block failure. Pentax K-50 (Aperture Solenoid Replaced!) - PentaxForums.com
04-24-2021, 08:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Yeah I will add to the chorus of people saying look for a K-70. Also, you'll find quite a few of us Albertans on here. It helps that until just the last few years The Camera Store, McBain Camera, and London Drugs all had Pentax on the shelves at brick and mortar stores across the Province, so you could try them side by side against the competition. Too bad those days are past.
04-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your comments. I am in process of purchasing a K-50 from a forum member.

I learned photography just at the end of the film era, so my photography style works fine with a K-50. I do more sports/action than I used to but I don't feel left out when I look at my images versus the CanNikon guys after a sports tournament.

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
Yeah I will add to the chorus of people saying look for a K-70. Also, you'll find quite a few of us Albertans on here. It helps that until just the last few years The Camera Store, McBain Camera, and London Drugs all had Pentax on the shelves at brick and mortar stores across the Province, so you could try them side by side against the competition. Too bad those days are past.
The consolidation in Alberta continues. London Drugs stopped carrying Pentax and in 2020 McBain Camera was sold to London Drugs. At least McBain still carries Pentax and deals in used camera equipment and operates independently. See you at West Edmonton Mall!
04-25-2021, 08:12 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am in process of purchasing a K-50 from a forum member.
Was it the one I linked earlier?

I learned photography just at the end of the film era, so my photography style works fine with a K-50. I do more sports/action than I used to but I don't feel left out when I look at my images versus the CanNikon guys after a sports tournament.
I loved my K-50 - the K-3 even more but there was nothing wrong with the K-50. 16mp is a sweet spot in Digital APSC photography. It's a little more forgiving of fine af focusing errors and it still makes great detail available. On top of this even older sensors can perform at low light with the larger pixels that the sensor has.