Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2021, 01:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Comparison K3 III versus Sony A7 III

Looks like Pentax did a great job
A High ISO Shootout: Pentax K-3 III vs. Sony a7 III | PetaPixel

Albert Siegel, thanks for putting this out there.

Last edited by bwgv001; 04-24-2021 at 07:43 PM. Reason: adding some extra
04-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #2
Forum Member

That’s an interesting comparison and pretty high praise, considering the pixel pitch of K-3 as a high MP crop sensor is going to give a significant handicap going in for noise. That accelerator chip must be doing its magic.
04-24-2021, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is very impressive. To me, the gap between FF and APS-C has been narrowing for quite a long time, and down to straws instead of bricks as of the latest APS-C models, like the KP and the K-70. Now, with the K-3 III, one can shoot in the format of ones choice, either FF or APS-C according to the importance of weight and size carried, advantages of the FOV with certain lenses for either format, and more pixel resolution from FF with a larger high-quality lens providing the same framing as APS-C with a shorter quality lens. But even this, as the reviewer points out, depends on the size of print or screen-size viewing for the viewer to see any advantage.

In the comparisons, I noticed slightly brighter exposure with the Sony at the same setting, which would give it an advantage for noise, but a richer color for the Pentax. Yet there was no advantage seen for the Sony, even though it is a FF design!

Yes, I have thought for a long time a BSI sensor combined with the Pentax accelerator would be dynamite, and it sure is coming through!

Well done indeed, Pentax!!

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-24-2021 at 03:15 PM.
04-24-2021, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I wonder how much those results would be further improved by pixel shift.

04-24-2021, 03:47 PM   #5

Those are some really nice results. I'm looking forward to seeing the studio shot comparisons on dpreview. The K3iii has the unfortunate mission to validate the continued development of DSLRs and APS-C cameras, both of which are coming under fire these days, but I think Ricoh's doing a real admirable job of proving their value. Fortunately, I think Fuji's also doing well enough to keep crop sensors alive, but I actually hope the advancements Pentax always makes with their processing tech also make their way to Fuji and m43 cameras, particularly the latter as IQ hasn't really improved there for a while. I'd like to see the debate between formats cease to be about absolute image quality, and just be about lens selection.
04-24-2021, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see nothing but logic in keeping APS-C sensors alive, in fact logic is on that side over FF when it comes to tele use, which entails carrying larger, heavier, more expensive lenses to get the same framing as APS-C. For any possible benefit at all now for FF would be in terms of increased resolution with the same non-cropped framing, shallower DOF, and in getting a wider FOV for certain favored FF lenses.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-25-2021 at 11:51 AM.
04-24-2021, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I like APS-C. Photo Equipment is lighter and has more reach in focal length. In terms of image quality, the KP and the new K-3III are making an outstanding point in continuing cameras using the sensor.

04-24-2021, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it is interesting that the reviewer states that a DSLR in liveview is a mirrorless camera. We all know that but I don't think it is common knowledge with a lot of mirrorless users that never used a DSLR, it's not usually stated because it is an advantage of the DSLR.
04-24-2021, 06:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
While full-frame users have enjoyed outstanding image quality for a long time, I think now too fans of smaller sensors like Fujifilm and Micro Four Thirds cameras no longer need to feel high ISO envy.
This is an odd conclusion considering the article and examples are about the Pentax K3iii and Sony a7iii. I guess the author actually considers Pentax and Sony irrelevant.
04-24-2021, 07:49 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I think it is interesting that the reviewer states that a DSLR in liveview is a mirrorless camera. We all know that but I don't think it is common knowledge with a lot of mirrorless users that never used a DSLR, it's not usually stated because it is an advantage of the DSLR.
Touchè

---------- Post added 04-24-21 at 07:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StarTroop Quote
Those are some really nice results. I'm looking forward to seeing the studio shot comparisons on dpreview. The K3iii has the unfortunate mission to validate the continued development of DSLRs and APS-C cameras, both of which are coming under fire these days, but I think Ricoh's doing a real admirable job of proving their value. Fortunately, I think Fuji's also doing well enough to keep crop sensors alive, but I actually hope the advancements Pentax always makes with their processing tech also make their way to Fuji and m43 cameras, particularly the latter as IQ hasn't really improved there for a while. I'd like to see the debate between formats cease to be about absolute image quality, and just be about lens selection.
To be fair apsc lenses win any day. They are much lighter and cheaper. Full frame lenses are invariably much much heavier for the longer focal length
04-24-2021, 09:12 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My KP and a7rII have similar high iso performance. But the KP is working against a sensor with smaller pixels than the a7iii. Also at lower iso the Sony pulls ahead slightly. So I’m not surprised the k3iii is doing the same only better.
04-24-2021, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So it basically matches a FF sensor of the same vintage and about the same MP.

Makes you wonder if a 60MP K1iii would make Medium Format obsolete.
04-24-2021, 11:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I've seen images taken with the new Pentax K3 mk II, and I have to say that I am impressed. I was already impressed by the Pentax Kp images compared to Pentax K1, sometimes the OOC IQ of the KP looked as good or better than what came out of the K1. Now, I would say, I like the K3 III pictures (quality, colors, rendering) better than what I see from my K1. I think Ricoh nailed the IQ on K3 III, really impressive for an apsc camera. The K3III pictures are the best I've ever seen out of an apsc camera of any brand.

---------- Post added 25-04-21 at 08:19 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
So it basically matches a FF sensor of the same vintage and about the same MP.Makes you wonder if a 60MP K1iii would make Medium Format obsolete.
Yes, that's also what came to my mind. But so far, no rumors, or leaks , that there will be a K1 successor.
04-25-2021, 12:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This will give only advantage to be with FF to have more controll with your DoF. That can also in some circumstanses be disadvantage for either. So.

INCREDIBLE!

and if it will be that AF is also in kind of same ballpark(true pentaxians with good AF skills will make it even more good) this is definetly a very good thing. It does eat the 'advantage' of low pixel FF camera and give room for bigger pixel count FF.
Not only it is similar ISO performance, but also colour is more precise too.
04-25-2021, 01:33 AM   #15

I don't really get the logic behind comparing k3iii to a FF launched several years ago - is it because they're similarly priced atm?