Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 61 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2021, 05:57 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Nobody will take you seriously when you show up with a K-70 on a pro shoot. Of course as a professional you can tax deduct your gear so you should just get two of each (K1 II, K-3 III)
I've used my K-70 paired with a K1 for paid shoots. Most of the time nobody noticed what camera was being used at the time, in fact most people don't know one from another anyway. Lenses get more attention. When the K-70 is specifically noticed by a fellow paid photographer (which is rare) it's more often than not confused as a mirrorless. IMHO, at the end of a shoot all that matters are your own professionalism and both yours and the clients satisfaction in the images. No one cares what camera got the shot*.

As for "tax write-off" I wish it were that easy to make equipment purchase decisions. We'd all be shooting Leicas, lighting with ProFoto's, and arriving in Escalades.

*except occasionally "that guy/girl"

04-27-2021, 06:40 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I've used my K-70 paired with a K1 for paid shoots. Most of the time nobody noticed what camera was being used at the time, in fact most people don't know one from another anyway. Lenses get more attention. When the K-70 is specifically noticed by a fellow paid photographer (which is rare) it's more often than not confused as a mirrorless. IMHO, at the end of a shoot all that matters are your own professionalism and both yours and the clients satisfaction in the images. No one cares what camera got the shot*.

As for "tax write-off" I wish it were that easy to make equipment purchase decisions. We'd all be shooting Leicas, lighting with ProFoto's, and arriving in Escalades.

Well said Gator, no lack of opinions on should/shouldn't not much on "do".
04-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
First, what are you using now and what is the draw to Pentax? It must be lenses drawing you in since you have not decided on a camera, so what lenses are you looking have. And as several others have asked, what are you shooting. You can get good enough with any of these cameras to be able to get you through anything, but some could be better suited. I have KPs and am quite happy with them. I shoot mostly nature (plants and wildlife) and landscapes, and do stock photos, which are mostly nature based.

Anyway depending on what your are shooting you probably need also at least one backup camera, so you can do KP and K-1 and get the best of both, or two of either.
Yeah the kaf mount is great imo. I did a lot of landsxape and nature based work, iam still going to be doing that but moving on to more avenues as well like portrait.
04-27-2021, 01:03 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
I don't think the added "reliability " comment was needed, just the fact "it is a low price, entry level" camera and not intended for professional purposes would have sufficed, the K-70 gets a lot of misunderstanding IMHO and probably has a similar failure rate as other brands in this price point.

Just my opinion tho Sandy.
Why was not the k - 70 discontinued but the kp was ?

---------- Post added 04-27-21 at 01:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Your audience defines your work and determines what's 'acceptable,' NOT you. They do not care how much work you did, or what gear/tools you used to produce that work.

If you are NOT already a FAST world class post processor, I suggest you make becoming one your top priority. May I ask what software package(s) will you be using to produce your finished work?

Buy the cheapest best camera paired to a decent fixed focal length lens you can find (used is OK, too... say, K-5 IIs+DA 40 Limited lens).

Get out and shoot every day for a year, then post your pp'd images to Flickr (one per day for 365 days). Every composition MUST be perfect. Every subject MUST be compelling. Do the work needed to figure that out.

Learn how to offer subtle invitations to view your work. Carefully note which of you images get page views. If at least 10% of the page views for a particular image are selected as a 'fave', consider that image a keeper.

Once that year is up, you will be able to honestly answer the question you put forward here, yourself (plus, many more important ones...)

My 2 cents... M
I have used lightroom to snapseed depending on the requirement, location and time.

What is your go to software soloution ?

Are you a professional ?

04-27-2021, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxnewbie1991 Quote

I have used lightroom to snapseed depending on the requirement, location and time.

Are you a professional ?
Ask Ricoh

Only they know
04-27-2021, 01:07 PM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Your audience defines your work and determines what's 'acceptable,' NOT you. They do not care how much work you did, or what gear/tools you used to produce that work.

If you are NOT already a FAST world class post processor, I suggest you make becoming one your top priority. May I ask what software package(s) will you be using to produce your finished work?

Buy the cheapest best camera paired to a decent fixed focal length lens you can find (used is OK, too... say, K-5 IIs+DA 40 Limited lens).

Get out and shoot every day for a year, then post your pp'd images to Flickr (one per day for 365 days). Every composition MUST be perfect. Every subject MUST be compelling. Do the work needed to figure that out.

Learn how to offer subtle invitations to view your work. Carefully note which of you images get page views. If at least 10% of the page views for a particular image are selected as a 'fave', consider that image a keeper.

Once that year is up, you will be able to honestly answer the question you put forward here, yourself (plus, many more important ones...)

My 2 cents... M

Are you a professional ?

---------- Post added 04-27-21 at 01:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As others have said, knowing the type of photography you are wanting to do would be helpful. I would say that if you are planning to do weddings then you really should get a camera with two memory slots. That's one of those "You can't reshoot" situations and so backing everything up compulsively is very important. Most other stuff you can get by with a single card slot.

The important thing actually is to sit down and develop a lens line up plan. What lenses are you going to need to go with a given camera body to do the shooting you want? In many ways, glass is more important than the camera body and figuring out what you need is going to get things started.

Yes lenses are important. I have discovered some great lenses. Iam a little confused on the terminology. Is it called a k mount ? Or a pk mount ? Iam having difficulty deciding in lenses.

---------- Post added 04-27-21 at 01:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote

Why was the kp doscontinued yet the k 70 is going strong ?
04-27-2021, 02:04 PM - 3 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

You would have to ask Pentax (Ricoh). It's a camera with mid-range features that belie its value pricing so my own personal guess is they've left it in place as a compelling entry for those not yet willing to commit a couple of thousand to a camera and lenses.

Having two relatively inexpensive cameras in the Pentax lineup isn't necessary. The differences between the K-70 and K3 III are more clearly understood which makes marketing easier.

04-27-2021, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My guess is that the production area and tooling where the KP was produced has been converted to build the K-3III, or possibly something else. And the K-70 probably has a bigger profit margin. All you hear is speculation, nobody really knows.
04-27-2021, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok- so it is mainly landscape and nature-based, (that is essentially scenics) and then on to portraiture. I have been shooting SLR cameras since the mid 1970's, when there was no automated AF or exposure set by the camera at all. For some years, I shot slide film which is very sensitive to exact settings for exposure. My first Pentax was the MF ME Super when my previous Vivitar SLR camera quit working after 6 years. I just had a 50mm lens with it. I got the new Pentax with 50mm, 28mm, and I think a 60-150mm 3rd party zoom lens. Later, I added the Tokina 35-200mm lens. I have done some paid work, but my main income has never been from photography.

Then my first AF camera came after another 6 years, the Pentax SF-1n, with the F 50mm f/1.7 AF lens. Then on to the advanced PZ-1p and MZ-S. Now, after numerous Pentax DSLR bodies and lenses, my main two are the KP and the K-1 II. If weight is not an issue, the K-1 II can provide the best image quality with the right lenses. You can get shallower depth-of-field (DOF) with the K-1 II, with the right lens, but one can also get a DOF that is too shallow for portraits, in that the eye can be in focus yet the ear and nose not in focus. So this advantage can be iffy. Another catch in going into portraiture with a FF body is an optimum lens for this purpose especially is much more expensive, though also true of other purposes. For example, a lowly but very fine-performing and reasonably-priced 50mm prime lens is a nearly-ideal FL for portraits on APS-C, but far less ideal on a FF body. The Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited is a superb lens for portraits on a FF body, (or APS-C also), but is quite expensive. The lens many prefer for portrait on a FF body is a fast-aperture 85mm either f/1.8 or f/1.4 which are also quite expensive. So it is possible to get an excellent job done at a lower cost with a high-performing APS-C outfit.

Yet, if doing wide-angle or moderate wide-angle scenics, you can get the highest caliber image quality with the K-I II. Even more true in low-light/high-ISO situations. You can get excellent results at a relatively low cost with the FA 28mm f/2.8 (used), or much costlier FA HD 31mm f/1.8 or DFA 21mm f/4 Limiteds, while keeping overall size and weight moderately manageable. When going into the tele range, however, cost goes way up as well as weight and size of the body/lens combo. And, the KP can come quite close to this quality-wise. The soon-to-arrive K-3 III APS-C flagship even more so. But with APS-C, there really is not the kind of wide-angle fast-aperture options like the FA 31mm Limited, as will be produced on a FF body. The field-of-view (FOV) angle difference between the two formats is a big issue here, with advantage for the K-1 II, while that same difference can be an advantage for APS-C in doing telephoto work.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-27-2021 at 06:32 PM.
04-27-2021, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Are you a professional ?
I can't answer for Ricoh, I can only say having used the K-70 since 2016 and suffering from an aperture failure I still think it is a mighty fine camera to own! Not professional grade but close to everything I will ever need in a camera, a big step forward from my first Pentax, an SP1000 back in the 70's oh yeah, screw mount!
Attached Images

04-27-2021, 05:34 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you a professional ?
I subscribe to Adobe's Photo Package. It includes Lightroom and Photoshop. In addition, I use Topaz AI Clear embedded in LR and parts of NIK embedded in PS. I like to work FAST. My workflow, from image selection to complete pp'd photograph, takes less than 5 minutes. You are welcome to visit my Flickr portfolio via the link in my signature, below. Also, you are invited to visit my "In Explore" album. It contains 88 photographs that Flickr selected to feature starting in July 2012. EXIF data is available for every photograph in my Flickr collection. So, if you wish for more details, they are easy to get.

Finally... While I've sold many photographs, I do NOT consider myself a professional. I'm just an interested enthusiast hunting for content. Plus, I'm always on the lookout for ways to up my game... like most contributors to this forum.

Comments and questions are always welcome.

Cheers & Enjoy the Season... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 04-27-2021 at 06:11 PM.
04-30-2021, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #42
Forum Member

Yeah the kaf mount is great imo. I did a lot of landsxape and nature based work, iam still going to be doing that but moving on to more avenues as well like portrait.
I recommend the KP although it is discontinued, it is a true 4x4 offroad but if your budget is limited the K-70 will be a camera that will make you happy, as to whether it is professional or amateur range, that is determined by your knowledge not a camera. I know people who are capable of professional photography with the worst equipment much better than pseudo-professionals with expensive equipment.
04-30-2021, 12:48 PM   #43
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Welcome to Planet Pentax

I would personally discount the K-70 for professional use on the grounds of reliability alone, because of the possibility of aperture block failure.

After that, the choice for me would boil down to the type of photography you want to pursue for your professional work.
Travel or street - I would consider the KP (or the GR III)
Landscape or portrait - I lean toward the K-1 Mark II
Action, sports or wildlife - the new K-3 Mark III would be the go.
Can u explain more on the k70 issue. I would like to know as i never noticed
04-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #44
Pentaxian

A new main character in Theatre Pentax

"Why was not the k - 70 discontinued but the KP was ?" Perhaps because the KP was so much closer to the K-3 III capabilities than the K-70? When the KP was introduced shortly after that the K-3 II was discontinued. From then onwards the KP was the high-end APS-C. It seems fair now that there is a K-3 III that the old protagonist KP clears the stage(?).
04-30-2021, 08:30 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Why was not the k - 70 discontinued but the KP was
Might be something as simple as a part used in the KP has run out and they still have inventory of K-70 parts. Ricoh manages inventory very well and I think these decisions often have more to do with inventory than anything else.